Fanderson Forum

Fanderson Forum (http://www.fanderson.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   FAB Magazine (http://www.fanderson.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fab 88 (http://www.fanderson.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3314)

Parker 26th November 2017 10:39 PM

Fab 88
 
When can I expect delivery of my FAB 88 here in the USA (Is it released in November 2017)? :D

big rat 14th December 2017 01:54 AM

"I doont think we will see the mag before Christmas got a sles list in the post on Saturday will have a post Christmas spend at fanderson sales thank you merry Christmas happy new year fanderson fans worldwide.:)

Commander Desica 16th December 2017 02:04 PM

I also received a Fanderson Sales List in the post today, with an apology that issue 88 of FAB has been 'unavoidably delayed' and will be printed and sent out ASAP. Apparently it is going to the printers before Christmas and I suspect it'll be going out and arriving the last week of 2017 or first week of 2018. I also note that the front cover of 88 is a photo of Ayshea Brough.

Parker 22nd December 2017 08:39 PM

FAB 88 delay
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker (Post 31622)
When can I expect delivery of my FAB 88 here in the USA (Is it released in November 2017)? :D

Received a brochure today (12/22/17) here in the USA stating there is a unavoidably delay in FAB 88. Hopefully will get it in Jan of the new year here!

Merry Christmas to one and all...God Bless us everyone!! :)

https://s17-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/...ticache=434868 https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/...ticache=526172

Grahame 11th January 2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Desica (Post 31701)
Apparently it is going to the printers before Christmas and I suspect it'll be going out and arriving the last week of 2017 or first week of 2018.

Is there any further news about the impending publication and distribution of FAB88? Did it get to the printers before Christmas? Has it been printed, packed and posted? Or is there an estimated time/date that it will be?

Z.

Stringbean 17th January 2018 08:49 AM

Please can we have an update re FAB 88. Why the silence? Patience is one thing but nearly three weeks into January of 2018 with no word as to what's going on?
Yes, I got the flyer back in December mentioning there was a delay but even the person above me hasn't been responded to since last week.

I'm happy to accept the delay but not happy to not get at least an update from the powers that be as to the current status.

phelings 17th January 2018 08:01 PM

I'm specially looking forward to this new issue as my Captain Scarlet Closeup book should be included

Grahame 20th January 2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringbean (Post 31792)
Please can we have an update re FAB 88. Why the silence? Patience is one thing but nearly three weeks into January of 2018 with no word as to what's going on?
Yes, I got the flyer back in December mentioning there was a delay but even the person above me hasn't been responded to since last week.

I'm happy to accept the delay but not happy to not get at least an update from the powers that be as to the current status.

This has been posted on the main Fanderson website:

"Apologies to all club members. FAB 88 has been unavoidably delayed due to circumstances beyond our control, and weíre now pulling out all the stops to get the magazine ready for you as soon as possible. Rest assured, weíll let you know when FAB 88 has been mailed via the website and social media."

It sounds like there is more of a delay and problem than originally reported in the pre-Christmas update and that FAB88 hasn't yet been finished, printed or posted out - although the website doesn't give a date for the information (just the month).

Z

Stringbean 20th January 2018 07:15 PM

Thanks Grahame for the heads-up.

Grahame 27th January 2018 12:58 PM

With the diary clicking in to the last weekend of January I guess it's gong to be February before we get to see FAB88.

It would be nice to know whether it has been completed and sent to the printers with an estimate of when it is likely to be posted out. Or, if not yet ready for printing, to have an updated planned schedule of when that will be.

But no doubt it will be worth the protracted wait.

G.

Stringbean 29th January 2018 12:14 PM

It's bad enough that issues went down from 4 to just three a year and now we can't even get these out on time. Think I'll send an email to see what's happening because they're obviously not going to give an update on this page by the looks of it.

I mean,..really,..it's February in a couple of days and this will probably have a knock-on effect with the next issue.

WillPS 29th January 2018 03:02 PM

It's put together by people on a voluntary basis, isn't it?

Life happens man, the pricing structure ensures you aren't out of pocket.

Hiram K Hackenbacker 29th January 2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringbean (Post 31850)
It's bad enough that issues went down from 4 to just three a year and now we can't even get these out on time. Think I'll send an email to see what's happening because they're obviously not going to give an update on this page by the looks of it.

I mean,..really,..it's February in a couple of days and this will probably have a knock-on effect with the next issue.

Difficult personal circumstances have resulted in a delay, it'll be a great issue when it's released.

Retroboy 29th January 2018 07:22 PM

The club is manned completely by volunteers . It is not a proffessional body despite producing highly professional merchandise. Real life sometimes gets in the way , as it does with all of us . It'll arrive soon enough and I'm sure will be worth the wait .
As for the reduction in magazines from 4 to 3 , all the major manufacturers are doing it , from biscuits to chocolate to toilet roll , it's a cost cutting exercise to avoid passing increased pricing on to the customer. I believe the buzz word is " shrinkification "

theinspector 29th January 2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroboy (Post 31853)
The club is manned completely by volunteers . It is not a proffessional body despite producing highly professional merchandise. Real life sometimes gets in the way , as it does with all of us . It'll arrive soon enough and I'm sure will be worth the wait .
As for the reduction in magazines from 4 to 3 , all the major manufacturers are doing it , from biscuits to chocolate to toilet roll , it's a cost cutting exercise to avoid passing increased pricing on to the customer. I believe the buzz word is " shrinkification "

Assuming the price point is the most important thing then I prefer a drop from 4 to 3 rather than maintain 4 but cut them down in size like the chocolate industry is doing.
At Xmas the tins we used to get from Roses and Quality Street were 2.5kg in the 70's , now they are barely 1/3 of that.
I'd prefer to pay the going rate for the same size. As it is the existing tins are barely larger than one of the cardboard boxes so I don't bother at all.

I would have preferred Fanderson to stick with 4 and increase the sub though. But they took the second best step.

theinspector 29th January 2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringbean (Post 31850)
It's bad enough that issues went down from 4 to just three a year and now we can't even get these out on time. Think I'll send an email to see what's happening because they're obviously not going to give an update on this page by the looks of it.

I mean,..really,..it's February in a couple of days and this will probably have a knock-on effect with the next issue.

Do you realise you have only made 15 posts on this forum in total in almost 4 years and 14 of them are complaining about the speed of items being delivered?

You're not SLR in disguise are you?;)

It does get a bit tiresome occasionally when the excuse is wheeled out yet again but it really is true that the whole thing is done by volunteers so while late deliveries can be a bit annoying it's sometimes worth stepping back and saying - hang on a minute, these guys don't get paid but look at the wonderful goodies they send us so better late than never.

saturnapollo 30th January 2018 01:03 AM

As others have said, they are all volunteers and producing a quality mag such as FAB takes as long as it takes. It's not as if we all don't have loads of other things piling up to read (I know I do).

And how often do publishers of professionally published books miss their release dates? Seems to happen more often than not these days.

Keith

Stringbean 30th January 2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theinspector (Post 31856)
Do you realise you have only made 15 posts on this forum in total in almost 4 years and 14 of them are complaining about the speed of items being delivered?

You're not SLR in disguise are you?;)

It does get a bit tiresome occasionally when the excuse is wheeled out yet again but it really is true that the whole thing is done by volunteers so while late deliveries can be a bit annoying it's sometimes worth stepping back and saying - hang on a minute, these guys don't get paid but look at the wonderful goodies they send us so better late than never.

Oh pleeeease,..for goodness sake. How sad are you that you have to check my previous comments. That in itself shows just what kind a sad lonely person you must be.

Listen. I don't care what any of you people think or say. I don't know any of you and like hundreds of others, I only ever joined this outfit to get the merchandise!!!

Grahame 30th January 2018 01:07 PM

Of course it is appreciated that the club is run by volunteers. I don't think having a go at new member Stringbean will change that or stop people voicing concerns over delivery timings. But it might put others off joining.

The issue is whether it is appropriate - both the delay and the complaint. And that will depend on how regularly publication gets delayed and by how long. Occasionally is understandable, especially bearing in mind the volunteer basis.

I'm a members of many clubs, societies and associations that are volunteer run and sometimes things they produced get delayed. But a lot of that can be mitigated by communication in letting members know the reason and how long the delay is expected to be. And, I've heard it said on other forums, etc., (for other clubs) that those volunteering should be doing so with some commitment to maintaining schedules. But getting unpaid volunteers is always a big problem and, of course, situations can change.

However, an honest explanation will always go a long way to reducing moans and disenchantment. Keeping mum just exacerbates the situation.

Z.

theinspector 30th January 2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringbean (Post 31860)
Oh pleeeease,..for goodness sake. How sad are you that you have to check my previous comments. That in itself shows just what kind a sad lonely person you must be.

Listen. I don't care what any of you people think or say. I don't know any of you and like hundreds of others, I only ever joined this outfit to get the merchandise!!!

Then wait like everyone else does.

If you don't care what anyone else thinks then don't bother to post. We are all members. We all know that Fab 88 is late. We don't need you to remind us every couple of days

As you have so few posts it took one click to see if you were a regular contributor who was concerned about the late delivery or someone who only posts to whine.

WillPS 31st January 2018 09:24 AM

In the sad news of Jeremy Wilkins death, posted on Fanderson home page - it mentions the obit will be in this issue.

I think we can presume from that FAB88 is at least a few weeks away at this stage.

-------

If you're in it for the merch I would suggest you're getting a better deal, as every week it's delayed is another week you'll have access to the Fanderson members' shop.

Grahame 31st January 2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillPS (Post 31866)
I think we can presume from that FAB88 is at least a few weeks away at this stage.

Yep, it's looking very much like it might not be until the end of Feb/early March before it hits members doormats.

Interesting is that we're now in to the third page of this thread, have had moans about the delays, and (even worse and more pointless) moans about the moans, but the only substantive comment about a reason is that the delay is due to "difficult personal circumstances" yet there is no indication or estimate of when it will be completed and get to the printers.

Probably best to bunker down, ride out the wait and get on with other things.

Z

sstnickg 31st January 2018 07:29 PM

Its been said, but obviously, it is still worth reminding all, that volunteers put this fantastic mag out in their own time, if someone is having ANY kind of problems, personal or otherwise, that may delay this from happening I don't see that members have a right to be informed of the the exact nature of what is happening in their lives- they are doing their best.
I certainly appreciate the care they take over the mag and am happy to wait for it to turn up when it does.
I mange a comic shop, and most of the MAJOR comic companies have regular problems with shipping comics that are SUPPOSED to be on a monthly schedule, so for Fanderson to only miss the occasional deadline could be viewed as a minor miracle in itself.
Now if only Universal could pull their fingers out and sort out the Doppelganger CD clearance????

Grahame 31st January 2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstnickg (Post 31870)
if someone is having ANY kind of problems, personal or otherwise, that may delay this from happening I don't see that members have a right to be informed of the the exact nature of what is happening in their lives

I think people are fully aware that much of the production of FAB is carried out on a voluntary basis - it's been mentioned several times already on this thread.

And no-one is demanding that personal details/nature of individual's problems be disclosed - I've no idea where anyone would get such an idea. But a general explanation and an estimate of the expected delay (and again I doubt anyone would consider that a firm and fixed promise) would go a long way to assuaging some members concerns.

For example I doubt the printing, packing and postage is done on a voluntary basis but is most likely a paid for professional activity. If there is an issue there then perhaps it could be explained in more depth. I guess that there are people who would like confirmation and reassurance from someone in an official capacity that it will turn up some time in the future that it is not just an extendable indefinite period.

I don't see that is an unreasonable expectation.

Z

sstnickg 3rd February 2018 09:11 PM

Well Grahame,
you asked in a previous post for "an honest" explanation-
has someone been lying to you?
"a general explanation"-
you have had one, but its clearly too general?
That is where I was "getting the idea from".
I agree that it would be better all round that someone in an official capacity should address the situation,and give an interim update, if only to give the reassurance that some people clearly need.

jasonsmith 4th February 2018 10:50 AM

Hello all,

Apologies for updates from earlier messages on this thread. As stated on the website and Facebook we are working hard to get FAB 88 finished off and are almost there. Unfortunately through professional non club work, winter viruses and a host of other things it has been an extremely busy few weeks for everyone involved with the club. We've been adding in last minute news items and will be printed our usual full 64 page magazine shortly.
As stated on the club website we will endeavour to get back on track with FAB issues during the course of 2018.
As an aside we are also busy on putting together new merchandise items which I'm sure you will enjoy.
Whilst I'm here, the FAB 2018 calendar has proved very popular , OK so its February now but there are a handful of copies left should you still want one or indeed are seeking a pristeen spare.
Meanwhile we trust that you will find the latest FAB will have been worth the wait.

Stephen Brown

Fanderson, since 1981, by fans, for fans

Grahame 5th February 2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstnickg (Post 31878)
Well Grahame,
you asked in a previous post for "an honest" explanation-
has someone been lying to you?
"a general explanation"-
you have had one, but its clearly too general?
That is where I was "getting the idea from".
I agree that it would be better all round that someone in an official capacity should address the situation,and give an interim update, if only to give the reassurance that some people clearly need.

An 'honest' explanation doesn't mean that someone has been lying - just that there is an absence of one.

A 'general' explanation that states it's late is unhelpful as everyone knows it is late because it didn't turn up on schedule. And stating 'volunteers' is the reason is also unhelpful as we all know that.

I see we have now had an 'official' update on the situation which is very welcome - thanks to Stephen for providing it. Sounds like someone has had the winter flu - I hope they're over it now.

Z.

sstnickg 6th February 2018 07:04 PM

Ahh, I clearly need a new dictionary.
Peace out Grahame.
Thanks Steve for the update,
roll on FAB 88
[in its own time].

cham-cham 14th February 2018 02:55 PM

Looking forward to fab 88 now itís almost ready.

Is there a way of checking when a membership expires? I canít remember if mine expired with fab 87 or with 88, and I canít find the bit of paper that came with 87 which said about the expiry.

Commander Desica 15th February 2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cham-cham (Post 31907)
Looking forward to fab 88 now itís almost ready.

Is there a way of checking when a membership expires? I canít remember if mine expired with fab 87 or with 88, and I canít find the bit of paper that came with 87 which said about the expiry.

I think it says when your membership expires on the envelope in which the FAB is mailed.

Nice to see that Jeremy Wilkin is on the front cover of issue 88 - I'm sure Ayshea won't mind stepping down for this one.

cham-cham 16th February 2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Desica (Post 31908)
I think it says when your membership expires on the envelope in which the FAB is mailed.

Thatís what I canít find unfortunately. Iíll just renew now in case it has expired already.

theinspector 16th February 2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cham-cham (Post 31931)
Thatís what I canít find unfortunately. Iíll just renew now in case it has expired already.

If there's any merchandise you want order it now. In a few days they'll let you know if your membership has expired because they can't send your order if it has

Voyage35 23rd February 2018 04:37 PM

Enjoying the issue so far, but I Am The Walrus is from Magical Mystery Tour, not Sgt. Pepper!

Obviously Anderson experts and not Beatles experts, so all forgiven!

theinspector 23rd February 2018 08:55 PM

New issue arrived today along with Scarlet Closeup. Thanks.
All looks very interesting.
Can we look forward to a Joe 90 Closeup to follow?

MaxW53 26th February 2018 10:47 AM

No Captain Scarlet Close-up
 
Got my mag numbered 88 and it is, as ever, very grand. But I didn't get my Captain Scarlet and I was rfeally looking forward to that. Anybody else the same? :confused::confused:

WillPS 26th February 2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxW53 (Post 31973)
Got my mag numbered 88 and it is, as ever, very grand. But I didn't get my Captain Scarlet and I was rfeally looking forward to that. Anybody else the same? :confused::confused:

When was your renewal due?

MaxW53 26th February 2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillPS (Post 31975)
When was your renewal due?

After this issue (88) and I have renewed it just now for the next three issues.

theinspector 26th February 2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxW53 (Post 31977)
After this issue (88) and I have renewed it just now for the next three issues.

Your Scarlet book will arrive with the first issue of your renewal- so with issue 89

saturnapollo 26th February 2018 09:58 PM

Still waiting on mine. Pretty sure my membership is uptodate.

WillPS 27th February 2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnapollo (Post 31986)
Still waiting on mine. Pretty sure my membership is uptodate.

Lkewise, but I'm happy to wait. It's possible that delivery times depend on your location relative to the point they were injected in to the Royal Mail network. We're still well within the normal delivery window.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.