Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > Timelash - LIVE - New Captain Scarlet - Rat Trap

Notices

Old 24th September 2012, 07:45 PM
Spacehawk

Default Rat Trap - Prequel

A reminder that this is on Wednesday 26th September 2012 at 9.00pm.

As a warm up I though I might put down a few thoughts about the New Captain Scarlet intro.

Gerry Anderson programmes are well known for grabbing the audience attention right from the start. 'Ok Venus', 'Standby for Action','5,4,3,2,1,' and even the atmospheric 'The Mysterons sworn enemies of Earth'.

For NCS we get the not very exciting 'No obvious signs of trauma.... were losing him....Doctor Gold he's alive.....Impossible....what is this Doctor...' followed by explanation etc. Its not really on par with some of the super intros we have had before.

Then its back to the tradition Anderson sequence with lots of effects and action - all great in my opinion which ends with trying to recreate a menacing Captain Black in the church yard which is not that hot.

In summary I do like the NCS intro a lot, its a chance to show what NCS is all about with some great action but I think it could be stronger with some changes to the beginning and end of the sequence.

In addition with regards to the music it improves around the action sequence but when your up against Barry Gray classics - its tough.

What do you think?

Last edited by Derek Eaton; 24th September 2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Reconstruction due to speeding over a cliff edge
Old 25th September 2012, 12:30 AM
Spacehawk

I would agree with all of that, Derek.

I think they should have completely redone the intro after the two-part pilot as the animation style changed dramatically after the first two episodes. Notably, Scarlet himself looks a lot different, yet we see his original pilot appearance in the titles every week? What gives? If they bothered to change Destiny's title sequence clip, why not Scarlet's and Blue's?

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 25th September 2012, 04:13 AM
Griselda

Yes - changing the opening after the animation changes with episode 3 and on would have been ideal. I also agree that the recap opening is not good but the rest of it is just fine. I have never had a problem with the music and found the majority of it to be just fine.

I know this is not a popular opinion but the original Captain Scarlet opening is not much better, especially compared to the excellent and exciting ones for Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray and Thunderbirds. The music on all of those is exciting and showed audiences some of the best of the best from those series. The original Captain Scarlet had us, the viewer in a slow walk down a dreary alley and only right at the end does it get interesting with the POV viewer actually get shot by Scarlet!!

I love the original series but that opening did little to get me into it. I did love the Voice of the Mysteron post opening moments and the ending artwork and music though.

KP