Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > Fanderson 30th Birthday Party August 2011

Notices

Old 2nd September 2011, 07:22 PM
Griselda

Default More of this please!

Hi all,
what a great time!It was great to see our friends, and celebrate Fanderson.It was lovely to see some of our favourite guests, and be able to chill out , relax, and enjoy the day.In these austere times, get togethers like this could be the way forward to keep us going BETWEEN conventions.
More of this please?
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:39 PM
Jason Smith

I'm surprised that Fanderson don't do more 'things/events'. Its supposed to be a 'club' but often all you get is the magazine and the chance to buy some merchandise, is that really a club or just a subscription to a magazine.

When I saw Gerry at the Leicester Space Centre he was just sitting at a table on his own with nothing to show while all around had displays or books to sell. At the time I kept thinking wheres his fan club, wheres Fanderson, I'm surprised they didn't make an event of it.

In the past the club has often supported Gerry by getting tables at events and putting on displays of puppets, models and merchandise - showing off the clubs magazines and sales items and handing out application forms to boost club membership, being pro-active.

The club itself has many items, props etc, and could put on displays at collectors fairs (example-why not have a regular table at Memorabilia?) and give the members a chance to meet up with the club committee and ask questions and see other members for a chat. Conventions are great but it shouldn't just be about paying out 400+ every few years for a hotel based event.

I think the club basically just needs to get out there and becoming visible to the general public as a club that exists and is doing things and keeping the interest alive, because lets face it the 'Anderson interest' has gone quiet at the moment with nothing on the telly and no new programs likely to come up.

Any thoughts?
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:56 PM
Spacehawk

I agree M42 -

I remember the days when the club used to have a stand at the Westmisnster Comic Mart, where it was possible for non-members to buy merchandise etc., I'm sure this must have helped publicise the club and raise money. I think there may have been some problem which resulted in the club only being allowed to produce items for members however, and I'm not sure whether this could be resolved. There were also one day events like those held at the Dorking Halls which non-members could attend. Something like that might be worth considering. The main problem there would probably be insurance, particularly for displaying original items, given the huge prices currently being paid at auctions.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:20 PM
R.A.T.

I've been to a few Memorabilia Fairs at the NEC where there have been short interviews with people from cult TV series - Peter Wyngarde, Wanda Ventham etc. Perhaps the club could get involved with that and host a few mini-interviews with Anderson-related guests alongside some kind of merchandise or memorabilia. Might give it a push in front of the right audience. It's a pity the BBC wouldn't get the urge to screen one or two series as I'm sure it would all take off and create another generation of fans. It's a no-brainer.

I also like the idea of - officially or otherwise - a load of fans meeting up, piling into cars and doing a location tour together on a regular basis. A good chance to meet up and see some iconic Century 21 locations. And Wexham Park Hospital.
Old 3rd September 2011, 06:18 AM
Dreisenberg Agent

Smile Fanderson Profile

I, like most others would welcome the Club more involved in the events mentioned, however the Committee already work extremely hard for us and have another life outside the club. If there were to be more appearances from Fanderson, and it could only have positive repercussions, then perhaps more of us shop floor members should be involved i.e. manning the table for a few hours. That sort of thing.
Old 4th September 2011, 07:18 AM
Spacehawk

Duke's suggestion about the Memorabilia fair is a good one. Another possibility might be a big toy/model collector's fair like Sandown Park. I went along to one there yesterday, and they had a big display of cars plus toys and models to celebrate 50 years of the E Type Jaguar.

I also agree with Duncan - organising something like this does take time and effort, and I'm sure the club would welcome any volunteers to help set up this kind of event.