Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > TV21 - Fanderson Convention 22nd to 24th October 2010

Notices

Old 13th October 2011, 09:42 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Default Almost 12 months since Bristol - Times Flies

Hello all,

Can it be just on 12 months since we (well me), were attending the 2010 Fanderson Bristol event.
Think we need another one
Old 13th October 2011, 12:21 PM
Spacehawk

The time certainly flies past, I would not have said in was a year until you pointed it out.

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/index.htm
Old 17th October 2011, 07:41 AM
Dreisenberg Agent

Smile A Year Has Come Round Quickly

Goodness, a year has passed quickly. It would be lovely to know another Convention was being planned, however the organisers may not have recovered from last year's yet. Since the puppet works were covered in such depth, maybe the next time Gerry's live action work should be concentrated on, although every aspect of his career should be represented if possible. What we must remember about Fanderson Conventions is the tremendous amount of work which goes into organising one. Like everyone else I love them and they are great fun and yes I cannot wait for the next one but it is so easy to forget just what a strain these events are on those running them.

There are several conventions I have seen, past and future, where private cameras and spontaneous snaps of guests are banned on the grounds that it is discourteous to them, replaced with professional photo sessions where you can be photographed with guests for a very expensive amount of money. Different tickets can be purchased to get faster up the autograph queues etc. What is wrong with first come, first serve? I have probably opened a hornets' nest as some organisers may very well read this. What I think is so wonderful about the Fanderson conventions is that they make money for charity and there is a family atmosphere. Guests are available for informal chats and it is a different world from some other conventions. In this difficult economic climate it is nice to have a convention also open to non members at a reasonable price, run by friendly and helpful people.

I think it might be a nice idea to set up a section on this forum for people to discuss what they would like to see at the next convention. What did people think of the hotel in Bristol? For my own part I was not that impressed and wonder if we could go back to the one in Borehamwood. The hotel layout is easier to move around in and there are all the locations used in several of Gerry's shows nearby. When the next convention takes places we know it will be up to Fanderson's usual high standard.
Old 17th October 2011, 01:47 PM
R.A.T.

I have never been to a convention before but plan to come to the next Fanderson one. A big drawcard for me would be the chance to have my photos with the special guests, however I doubt charging a "very expensive amount of money" is a good idea. The special guests probably don't think photo requests is rude, otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place!
Old 17th October 2011, 05:48 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc1 View Post
What did people think of the hotel in Bristol?
I thought the convention areas were perfectly functional, though the guest rooms were much nicer in the nearby Mercure hotel, and considering Fanderson was able to negotiate a special rate for them, they were excellent value.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 17th October 2011, 07:21 PM
The Snake

The 'plus' point for me was that the hotel in Bristol was so close to the railway station ..(and the 'picture route' to the hotel was a brilliant idea!) The downside was that the hotel was pricey. But it would be great to have a less formal 'convention' somewhere up north!!
Old 17th October 2011, 07:28 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Smile Wrong Impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_ochre View Post
I have never been to a convention before but plan to come to the next Fanderson one. A big drawcard for me would be the chance to have my photos with the special guests, however I doubt charging a "very expensive amount of money" is a good idea. The special guests probably don't think photo requests is rude, otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place!
I may have given the wrong impression. I was saying that charging large amounts of money for photos with people or anything else was bad and that the good thing about Fanderson Conventions is that they do not go down that road. Guests are delighted to oblige with fans requests to have their photos taken with them
Old 17th October 2011, 10:18 PM
R.A.T.

Forgive me Dunc, that'll teach me to reply at 1am half asleep! :P
Old 19th October 2011, 06:10 AM
Dreisenberg Agent

Smile No Worries

No worries Jason. Look forward to meeting you at the next convention.
Old 22nd October 2011, 09:22 PM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.
Thumbs up It's a year!?

Having spent most of the weekend trying to get internet (I'm at the family bach where we don't have electricity or phones - only tank water and a long drop) I finally get to say:

I find it hard to believe that a year ago today I was on the other side of the world, let alone in Bristol surrounded by people who loved my favourite TV show as much as I do! Not to mention those who actually made it!!!

It was an F-A-B time.

Thanks again to all the Fanderson crew who put on such a fun event.