Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Retro-metabolism > Space 2099 The Series

Notices

Old 19th February 2012, 09:20 AM
Spacehawk

Default To Breakaway or Not To Breakaway?

The original series is the Earths moon travelling through space - if you don't follow that scenario in the new show - have you just got a space show with Eagles with a date ending in 99?
Old 19th February 2012, 09:42 AM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

Depends really what they're trying to follow. Like if they want a slice of life on the moon, then they could be cut off from earth another way, making it more a story on survival. The only thing is i can't see that lasting too long.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 19th February 2012, 10:24 AM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Eaton View Post
The original series is the Earths moon travelling through space - if you don't follow that scenario in the new show - have you just got a space show with Eagles with a date ending in 99?
IMO you've then got a completely different series that isn't Space:1999 - so there's no point the producers or anyone purporting they're related in any way.
Old 19th February 2012, 05:06 PM
Paradox Pilot

Chris said: "then they could be cut off from earth another way".
I agree. Watch the last episode of the BBC 1973 series "Moonbase 3" for a chilling way to be isolated...
It still brings up the goose bumps when they discuss a "kind" way to die before the air and food run out...
Old 19th February 2012, 06:44 PM
SID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Eaton View Post
I posted an entry on the Space: 2099 forum as there is so much being discussed about whether or not the Moon should leave Earth in a new version. As the thread I posted on was dealing with Earth's fate, instead of the main thread about the look and contents of a new series, the replies are naturally relating to speculation about Earth after 'Breakaway' etc.

As Space: 2099 is being featured here, I'd be interested in the opinions of other forum members for the idea I pitched as a way of dealing with the travelling Moon plausibility problem, while keeping the core elements of Space: 1999 generally.

http://www.space2099theseries.com/space-2099/82.htm
Old 19th February 2012, 08:33 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Cottage View Post

As Space: 2099 is being featured here, I'd be interested in the opinions of other forum members for the idea I pitched as a way of dealing with the travelling Moon plausibility problem, while keeping the core elements of Space: 1999 generally.

http://www.space2099theseries.com/space-2099/82.htm
Its an interesting idea that the Earth as a civilisation is lost and the Moonbase is the centre of what is left of man but is still in orbit. It certainly brings in a lot of the elements of Space:1999 where man is struggling on looking for a new home.
Old 19th February 2012, 08:45 PM
Spacehawk

If the Moon with Alpha Base is left in Earth's orbit, then the stories could be about their exploration of our solar system and alien races passing through or invading.

If Space2099 setting for Alpha Base was on Mars instead of the Moon that would thus remove the Earth from the episodes.
Old 19th February 2012, 09:12 PM
Spacehawk

Or Moonbase is still on a moon but a bit further out like one of Jupiter's moons - not sure how possible this would be but they would certainly be out there then.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:49 AM
Seal Cub

Default ...kind of Breakaway but not quite so much so.

...I was considering how to put together what was, what has been shown so far (not much), and what could be...and this idea popped into my head. What if the Asimov is an experimental vehicle being built between the Moon and Mars, closer to Alpha? Said Asimov could have the first shipborne ability to open portals to hyperspace or some other way of avoiding the long traveling times between stars. The tests have all gone well, and the ship is making its first real voyage...and something goes horribly wrong during the portal opening, sucking the Asimov AND THE MOON into a huge portal to the unknown? We could focus on Alpha as they get booted out the other end and end up god knows where...but they're getting faint messages from the Asimov! Does that open the series up in spectacular fashion, for a new century, or is it just kitbashing of what's gone before?
Old 20th February 2012, 08:08 PM
SID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
If the Moon with Alpha Base is left in Earth's orbit, then the stories could be about their exploration of our solar system and alien races passing through or invading.

If Space2099 setting for Alpha Base was on Mars instead of the Moon that would thus remove the Earth from the episodes.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. There seem to be similar comments in different parts of the Space: 2099 forum, which give the impression that people would be happy for the Moon not to be blasted away from Earth, as long as the overall 'human' story remained intact.

With Jupiter's moons and Mars etc, I agree it would be good to include Solar System locations as well as interstellar space, which is why I suggested the 'sanctuary' settlements for any survivors from Earth. To be honest, I was probably being influenced by Project Sword, often described as 'the best Gerry Anderson series never made'.