Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 6th November 2012, 08:39 PM
Alien

As well I can post more images in a smaller space than what happens on facebook,with three or four at a time really requires shutting me up...seriously,here, the clicked on enlargements look better over at 'book not so much...I find...So Forum comes across like a Fine Gallery, facebook,for all it's immediacey comes out well but could benefit from being able to choose posting sizes, like four posted images in a composite taking up the same space currently afforded one image.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:49 AM
Lab Monkey

Default Terrible idea

I would like to register my stong dislike of this idea - for all the reasons outllined on the previous posts (I have yet to see one in in complete favour of this). How will the club attract new members if there is nowhere for them to go to find out more ? The Forum is the ultimate in free publicity - please explain how can you save money by cutting off public access ? For many, many people Farcebook (sic) is not and will never be an option. I hope to see a u-turn on this idea a.s.a.p. as going by these posts it seems the membership is quite against it. John
Old 7th November 2012, 02:19 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by matango View Post
I would like to register my stong dislike of this idea - for all the reasons outllined on the previous posts (I have yet to see one in in complete favour of this). How will the club attract new members if there is nowhere for them to go to find out more ? The Forum is the ultimate in free publicity - please explain how can you save money by cutting off public access ? For many, many people Farcebook (sic) is not and will never be an option. I hope to see a u-turn on this idea a.s.a.p. as going by these posts it seems the membership is quite against it. John
Facebook is great for many things, but as a discussion group it's rather hard to regulate, whereas this forum always seems to be properly maintained and moderated.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 7th November 2012, 02:35 PM
R.A.T.

I too would like to say that this is not a good idea at all. And this is coming from a member, I don't care if non-members post here, in fact it's a good thing.

As the forums are already struggling in comparison to the Facebook group, how will cutting non-members improve the situation in any way?
Old 8th November 2012, 11:35 AM
Spacehawk

I strongly agree with those who support keeping the forum. It does act as a public face for Fanderson, and allows non-members to make valuable contributions to the world of Gerry Anderson fandom.

Having been a mamber of Facebook (until I found out) I'm also not particularly keen to sell my soul and copyright of personal images to a faceless multi-national conglomerate !
Old 8th November 2012, 04:27 PM
SID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokev View Post
As a former member of Fanderson for nearly ten years, buying items from sales, I have, sadly, fallen on hard times and have simply not been able to afford the subs to the club. This website/forum is a lifeline to me, as I'm able to both keep up to date with events in the Anderverse, and, at times be able to post items such as this.
I miss my fix of the club magazine, but keeping a roof over my head and being able to heat it, live in it and eat sadly take a more important slice of my finances.
Over the years, I've supported the club in many ways, including travelling to a hotel to be interviewed for a post within the club. I was not successful then, but did "my bit" for the fans, spending both petrol money and losing a day's work, thinking I could offer a good service. I'm not at all bitter that I was not successful, but travelled thinking that I, a normal member could contribute to the running of the club.
I'm sorry, but this idea is a step too far. Yes, keep a section for members only, but the joy and fun I get from this forum is free.
So, I urge the committee to think again on this.
I'm in a bit of an awkward position having won the membership prize last year, so it's easy to shoot off my mouth, but all the same I agree with the comments being made. During the 90's I had a lean time work-wise, and while I was able to stay a member, I certainly couldn't go to the different conventions / events etc until the first Coventry con in 2000. If the Internet had existed the way it is today, having the forum would have been a helpful way to keep 'in the loop'.

It would be a good image for Fanderson to appear accessible to all Gerry Anderson fans online generally, which might in turn be an added incentive to join the club itself.
Old 8th November 2012, 07:48 PM
Alien

Yes, overall we agree that Forum must be preserved not only as a respite from the hurried realm of facebook,but because it was something we as a club,created. it's got our stink on it, nobody else has....it's just as important a part ot the club as FAB, Sales, and the links...
Old 9th November 2012, 09:42 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

Many of us non members are not non members through choice. I personally would love to be a full member, but like so many now days, finances just wont allow it. I appreciate membership isn't exactly a kings ransom, but in the current economic climate, the kings ransom has had to be re defined.
I openly plead with you not to make this forum members only not just for my own sake. The picture is much bigger than just me, It would just be wrong, you are all a great bunch, it shows in your posts, and you should be accessible to all. Fanderson and the work of Gerry and the thoughts of those who love it, should not be exclusive. It should be for everyone. It would be sadder than sad if it were anything else.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:39 PM
Squealer

Default I concur

With John.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:47 PM
Jason Smith

Default Hi

Normally I don't sit on the fence
But after hearing ufoKevs story I felt a little sad
But on the other I totally see Nick Williams case

How about 1 a year forum membership or all

Now everybody could afford that .....surely