Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 6th July 2013, 04:32 AM
Zarin

Default Top 10 Anderson puppet designs.

I'm sure a lot of people prefer the Scarlet style puppets but I've always liked the more cartoonish ones for some reason. Here are my ten favorite designs, but it might change over time.

10 Horses (of Four Feather Falls)
9 Venus
8 Johnny Swoonara (Steve Zodiac)
7 Atlanta
6 Parker
5 Chief Kalamakooya
4 The Aquaphibians
3 Masterspy
2 Robert The Robot
1 Mitch The Monkey

Have I gone entirely mad or do you agree completely with my choices?
Old 6th July 2013, 08:49 AM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

I always have dificulty picking favourites of anything. I always find there are far too many things I like enough to be my favourite, to be able to chose one above all others, and I've always been like that. As for the look of any aspect of any of the Anderson productions, I think everything has qualities to make it good enough to be my favourite. The incorectly proportioned early puppets and the correctly proportioned later puppets, bot superb. With Anderson, for me at least, there is an unending wealth of favourites, and to be honest I wouldn't really want it any other way. I love the realism of the Scarlet and Joe 90 puppets, but equally love the highly caricatured face of Parker. For me it's all just perfect.I know this isn't an attitude that will suit everyone, but I've always been happy with it. What's my favourite song? I could reel off a list of a hundred. What's my favourite film? I could come up with fifty, and so on and so forth. I've always liked being like that. It's always meant I'm never far away from something enjoyable.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:20 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61 View Post
What's my favourite song? I could reel off a list of a hundred. What's my favourite film? I could come up with fifty, and so on and so forth. I've always liked being like that. It's always meant I'm never far away from something enjoyable.
What a great attitude.
Old 6th July 2013, 10:46 AM
Spacehawk

Thanks, but it's not engineered in any way, it's just how I've always naturally been, and some people, like you, think it's good, but for some reason others find it frustrating. It actually annoys some people, they find not being able to pin me down as some sort of challenge, which of course it isn't. Many times throughout my 51 years on this floating ball, I've found one specific film returning again and again to the top of the list, but it doesn't stay there permanently, and that's the nearest I've ever come to having a favourite anything. For what it's worth the film is Henry Kosters Harvey starring James Stewart. It isn't and never has been my favourite film, but out of all the films I love it's the one that's come closest. So much so in fact, that I've used it to categorise people. Unlucky people are those who don't know the film. Lucky people are those who do. In the sub category of those who do, unlucky people are those who think it's about a six foot imaginary rabit, and lucky people are those who know it's about a six foot invisible rabit. Not imaginary. Invisible. For me that's the most important factor. Accept Harvey as invisible instead of imaginary and you'll always find something to make you smile in life. I personally hardly ever have trouble finding things tgat make me smile. And for some unfathomable reason that's been known to frustrate people too. And that is my problem with Gerrys series, if indeed it is even a problem. There's so much in them that makes me smile. Far too much to pick favourites.
Old 6th July 2013, 05:46 PM
Zarin

No, it's not a problem. Alternatively you could think of it as these are the ten I'm most appreciating just now. Part of the individual appeal may also be due to the skill of the puppeteer or voice artist.

I would find it impossible to pick ten favorite songs too, maybe if it were narrowed down to ten Fairport Convention tracks or something. It's really just people saying what they are into and appreciate most, and I'm curious about other perspectives. I'm not sure I have any least favorite puppets unless I go afield and look at Space Patrol, some of them seemed a bit undistinguished I thought.
Old 6th July 2013, 10:22 PM
Main Mission Operative

Default yeah

the puppets are the fun ones. imagination is a wonderfull thing. most of them were used as comic incluctions.
to break up the stories a bit or to tell stories about the puppet.
Early Anderson is like that.
and why not .
fireball XL5 would never be the same without the robot and the lazoon
and the horses in four feathers are just brill.
family entertainment was what they was tryin to do.
make the kids laugh and the adults.
the idea of fun contiued up till secret service.
which is just surreal
like the use of parker in thunderbirds was a safe cracker, shifty dude. but with a heart of gold. or probebly lead pipe.
Old 6th July 2013, 11:39 PM
Spacehawk

Puppets modeled on real people are fun. Troy Tempest resembling James Garner etc. That has always been an enjoyable aspect, especially when you're not expecting it and you suddenly see a Scotish accented Robert Mitchum working in a castle. Great fun.
Old 7th July 2013, 09:47 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

My favourites are a mix:

1 - Captain Blue
2 - Steve Zodiac
3 - Venus
4 - Captain Ochre
5 - Rhapsody Angel
6 - Marina
7 - Troy Tempest
8 - Scott Tracy
9 - Colonel White
10 - Atlanta
Old 7th July 2013, 12:56 PM
Spacehawk

All excelent in my opinion. In this category us fans can't really lose can we. Our chouces are either the good ones or the really good ones.
Old 16th July 2013, 08:54 AM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryn View Post
4 - Captain Ochre
I am flattered