Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 13th September 2016, 10:18 AM
Squealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
Cameron's music was just so catchy and memorable.
Not sure if it was ever given in the briefs but Gerry does seem to have been lucky in terms of composers creating very memorable scores - The Protectors is definitely set apart from the other ITC shows for being much more melodic and funky.

Interesting to note that John Cameron wrote a new title theme for the show's 2nd season - pretty sure that's on the Network release too and is the track heard at the beginning chase sequence in 'Quin'.

I also love the haunting music he wrote for 'Burning Bush'.
Old 13th September 2016, 02:06 PM
Spacehawk

You can't really go too far wrong with a bit of funk or jazz - which is why the KPM and Bruton library albums were plundered so extensively in the '70s and '80s and are so collectible now. Where would The Sweeney have been without a good bit of jazz/funk?!!

Composers such as Brian Bennett, Steve Gray, Alan Hawkshaw and Francis Monkman excelled in these areas and provided so many great incidentals and the occasional theme. Barry Gray always tailored his music to suit the series, which is why the music to UFO is so different to, say, Stingray or Thunderbirds.

It's been many, many years since I watched an episode of The Protectors. I really must remedy this soon!
Old 13th September 2016, 03:27 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Messenger View Post
Interesting to note that John Cameron wrote a new title theme for the show's 2nd season - pretty sure that's on the Network release too and is the track heard at the beginning chase sequence in 'Quin'.
The music from the footchase in the teaser of Quin is one of my favourite pieces of music from the series - love the extended version on the CD set, although I'm not sure whether I can imagine it as actual theme music.

What puts the Cameron CD set apart from most of the other Network score releases is that many of the cues are quite lengthy and fully developed, as if Cameron always had it in his mind that they might go on an LP one day. A lot of the Edwin Astley scores (for instance) are very short cues which are clearly timed for the sequences they were designed to accompany.

Of course, for the series itself the cues that Cameron composed were edited down quite a bit...
Old 13th September 2016, 03:33 PM
Spacehawk

Returning to Andersonic 21 (which I am going through a bit at a time), I really enjoyed the interview with Deborah Grant. I was pleasantly surprised that she remembered so much about UFO, and it's so nice to hear the comments from people like Ms Grant who haven't featured much - if at all - in Anderson related interviews before.
Old 13th September 2016, 03:50 PM
R.A.T.

I'm glad the interview with John Cameron has gone down well - I can't say I'm a great fan of the series myself (I stalled after 2 discs of the box set) but the music's eminently listenable. I though Richard Gunner's interview was very well researched and there's been a lot more to John's career than that one series. And it gave us an excuse to parody the Protectors, something it's ripe for

I also wanted to clear up a few points made earlier in this thread which are somewhat wide of the mark. First of all phelings' points - Nigel, you bought the last issue (20) from me via eBay, you even left me positive feedback. So there was no problem there. Your subsequent order for back issues came in just as several issues had gone out of stock - this happens a lot around the time of a new issue. So your payment was refunded. There's no conspiracy, syndrome or otherwise. Just supposition on your part. I don't always get issues reprinted at once, there's only me doing it and I have other demands on my time. But it has to be said that if someone is going to spread this sort of nonsense about me and the fanzine on this forum, your 'theory' could become a self-fulfilling prophesy. I have no obligation to deal with anyone who posts ill-informed innuendo about me online, none at all.

As for WillPs's comments about buying Andersonic from shops and profit margins, that's more supposition. This is a fanzine that I edit in my spare time, not a newsstand publication. It's only available from me via the website (or eBay) and two online sources, Startrader and the Anderson Entertainment site. You could perhaps walk into Thunderbooks in Blackpool or Worlds Apart in Liverpool to purchase (if I've passed any on to them) but that's it. And as for margins, I've made it abundantly clear for the last 10 years that the fanzine is run on a non-profit basis. I break even. That's it. Surely the low price makes that clear to anyone in doubt.

On a happier note, many thanks to everyone who's supported this issue and sent nice comments. It's been the fastest selling so far - so I can only assume there are more closet Protectors fans out there after all

Last edited by DukeDexter; 13th September 2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 13th September 2016, 04:29 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDexter View Post
I'm glad the interview with John Cameron has gone down well - I can't say I'm a great fan of the series myself (I stalled after 2 discs of the box set) but the music's eminently listenable. I though Richard Gunner's interview was very well researched and there's been a lot more to John's career than that one series. And it gave us an excuse to parody the Protectors, something it's ripe for

Many years ago, when ATV screened the series as the last show before Closedown, the Wolverhampton newspaper the Express & Star used to have a tv listing page edited for a while by one of its columnists and feature writers called (believe it or not) Gerry Anderson. No relation, and he passed away a few years back.

Anyway he used to pepper the listings with his own comments and for one episode of The Protectors he wrote "Starring Robert Vaughn as a sort of Inch-High Private Eye"

He wasn't wrong
Old 13th September 2016, 04:45 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
though Richard Gunner's interview was very well researched and there's been a lot more to John's career than that one series.
Yes indeed, the mysterious 'Mr Gunner' asked pretty much everything I would have liked to know

I'm not a great fan of John Cameron's theatre work I have to say, and most of the feature film stuff leaves me cold. But I have always loved his jazz styled work (eg the Off Centre album and of course a lot of his library work and the brilliant CCS albums. A shame really that he doesn't work in that style any more...

Incidentally I love the little caricature artwork of various characters that pepper Andersonic and which show immense skill. And that's coming from someone who can't even draw stick figures!
Old 13th September 2016, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I also wanted to clear up a few points made earlier in this thread which are somewhat wide of the mark. First of all phelings' points - Nigel, you bought the last issue (20) from me via eBay, you even left me positive feedback. So there was no problem there. Your subsequent order for back issues came in just as several issues had gone out of stock - this happens a lot around the time of a new issue. So your payment was refunded. There's no conspiracy, syndrome or otherwise. Just supposition on your part. I don't always get issues reprinted at once, there's only me doing it and I have other demands on my time. But it has to be said that if someone is going to spread this sort of nonsense about me and the fanzine on this forum, your 'theory' could become a self-fulfilling prophesy. I have no obligation to deal with anyone who posts ill-informed innuendo about me online, none at all.
I had my entire order refunded via your website. Why not refund just for the issues you didn't have? There was obviously at least one issue available as I ordered it on ebay when you cancelled my order. I assumed it went though to avoid negative feedback.
And after the order was refunded all the issues I wanted were still listed on your website which is why I ordered them again and you refunded them. Certain issues were listed as not being in stock so why were those I ordered that were not in stock also showing the same?
After your rants on here during TB65 I don't think it was too far removed for me to assume you had issues with me other than stock availability.
And then there's the unsolicited mail item I received - or actually it was my wife that received it.
Due to your attitude on here, your rant on Roobarbs ( literally the only thing you've ever posted on Roobarb that is not an announcement for a new Andersonic) and the item being addressed to my wife I assumed that came from you as the ebay sale (ebay account in my wifes name not mine) is the only way anyone would have known my wifes name. The postmark was also a bit of a giveaway. Apologies if I'm wrong but given the facts I have I can't think of any other answer. The number of people online who know my wifes name and my address and have a bone to pick with me is extremely limited.
I did say my theory was just that and I was going to let it lie.
If you wish to continue this conversation please PM me. I don't want to bog down your thread with this.

Last edited by phelings; 13th September 2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 13th September 2016, 10:33 PM
R.A.T.

As I said, issues go out of print quickly as I don't always keep a tab on stocks. The website isn't always updated as fast as it should be in those situations, but I run to my own timetable. As I said, it's a hobby, not a business and most people understand that and make allowances. You appear to be confusing the order you sent me with one that was later fulfilled by Startrader (the only other online source for all back issues). But you did buy issue 20 from me via eBay. Why would I send one order and not another, unless… yep, the latter ones weren't available.

And I accept you apologies for being wrong about the mail your wife apparently received. I can't help you on that one. But as you prefer to throw yet more innuendo in my direction, I'm done with dealing with you. If you want the magazine, it will be available via Startrader some time soon. I'll refund you later tonight.

A clenched fist catches nothing.
Old 13th September 2016, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
As I said, issues go out of print quickly as I don't always keep a tab on stocks. The website isn't always updated as fast as it should be in those situations, but I run to my own timetable. As I said, it's a hobby, not a business and most people understand that and make allowances. You appear to be confusing the order you sent me with one that was later fulfilled by Startrader (the only other online source for all back issues). But you did buy issue 20 from me via eBay. Why would I send one order and not another, unless… yep, the latter ones weren't available.

And I accept you apologies for being wrong about the mail your wife apparently received. I can't help you on that one. But as you prefer to throw yet more innuendo in my direction, I'm done with dealing with you. If you want the magazine, it will be available via Startrader some time soon. I'll refund you later tonight.

A clenched fist catches nothing.
Fair enough.

If you have an alternative scenario for my theory please PM me.

Last edited by phelings; 14th September 2016 at 01:26 AM.