Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go Episode Reviews > Thunderbirds Are Go! - Series 3 - Episode Reviews

Notices

Old 26th March 2018, 07:34 PM
Battlehawk

Default Episode 3.1 - Chaos Part 1 - Discussion

As The Hood's newly formed Chaos Crew cause trouble around the globe,
the GDF begin testing experimental machines to assist with rescues.....

Introducing:
Aimee-Ffion Edwards - Havoc
Chris Stein - Fuse
Marc Silk - Captain Wayne Rigby

Guest Cast:
Shelley Longworth - Arctic Operator

Written by:
Rob Hogee

Directed by:
Karl Essex

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 28th April 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 29th March 2018, 08:17 AM
Skybase Engineer

Potential spoiler plot (highlight): "Scott brings a bot to aid him in a mid-flight rescue, Virgil and Gordon use a bot in a frigid Arctic mission, and Kayo and newly assigned GDF agent Captain Rigby go after Havoc."

Seems like part 1 is aiming too high. Plot for part 2 seems to fall short in comparison, much like Up from the Depths.

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.

Last edited by guyus24; 30th March 2018 at 04:10 AM. Reason: apparently tv listings are spoilers?
Old 29th March 2018, 06:02 PM
Battlehawk

Thank You once again for spoiling aspects of the episode before it has been aired Guyus.
I told you about that during Season 2!
Old 30th March 2018, 03:54 AM
Skybase Engineer

That's literally the EPG ITV provided...

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.
Old 30th March 2018, 08:06 AM
Griselda

Nobody told me it was starting this Saturday!

I haven't even got the full series 2 DVD yet.
Old 31st March 2018, 09:41 AM
Moid

Intesesting - but I'm going to leave doing any comments until Part 2 has been on (given what happened with "Up From The Depths").

FAB_61
Old 2nd April 2018, 04:32 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

I haven't done any episode 'reviews' so far for TAG, I had considered rewatching S1 and 2 but clearly ran out of time.

The episode started strong in that at least we were already in the middle of the Chaos Crew's appetite for destruction (sorry) with IR etc. more than aware of them, sparing us the season wasting time ramping up their threat level. Also an excellent Rescue montage.

I thought the music was excellent in this ep, some new sounds finally making their way into the rotation.

Hopefully, as hinted at, this season we'll get more two-parters so the stories have some room to breathe.
(As an aside, this may be controversial, but you know what would get you an extra minute of story time in a 20-odd minute show? Cutting out the frankly tedious launch sequences. There, said it).

Seriously, TAG-Gordon is just the worst. He's terrible as a character and terrible at his job.

I have a vain hope that they'll deal with the Crew by the end of this pair of eps never to return, so we can get on with Proper Rescue Stories for the rest of the season.

Of course I'm glad the show is back (for it's final season?), the animation and cinematography is now very slick, and the rhythm of the cuts has calmed down a bit.

As a season opener, it sadly does feel a bit Business-As-Usual for the TAG team, and not in the good way. That said, I'm keen to see what happens next week as the final beat of the RO-Bots activating was well done.
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:10 AM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by watanabe View Post

As a season opener, it sadly does feel a bit Business-As-Usual for the TAG team, and not in the good way. That said, I'm keen to see what happens next week as the final beat of the RO-Bots activating was well done.
My prediction is that the RO-Bots will have been obtained from some mysterious company which turns out to be the Hood, and he'll use them for some nefarious reason.

Not a bad opener but Gordon is becoming as annoying as Alan.
And did we really need the "burp" moment?
Stand by for farts.
Old 7th April 2018, 08:01 AM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My prediction is that the RO-Bots will have been obtained from some mysterious company which turns out to be the Hood, and he'll use them for some nefarious reason.

Not a bad opener but Gordon is becoming as annoying as Alan.
And did we really need the "burp" moment?
Stand by for farts.
Well I was almost right.
Old 22nd April 2018, 01:27 PM
Battlehawk

A new season a new start. More or less. It took me ages to start this review, because I was not sure where TAG-15 was planning to go after that last episode at the end of Season 2. A few people have suggested there was a change of narrative tracks at work and there is. The Writers have realised they made a fundamental mistake with The Mechanic, and they have tried to subtly address that here. - Unfortunately, they were as subtle as The Hood's Flying Fortress was! I'll deal with the plot in part 2. This is a good place to focus on the new characters and format.

Havoc and Fuse as this new “Chaos Crew” are a mirror image to what has been done before in the series. They are blatant, loud, shameless and brash. The Hood is as hammy as any Bond villain but has a certain, finesse. The Mechanic is an unknown quality and that is where the problems arise. - Kayo and Lady P give an excellent report on who Havoc and Fuse are.

Havoc is a baddie version of Kayo and Penny combined. Stealthy and agile with a certain playfulness like Kayo, a tech whiz, esp with computers and spy-craft like Lady P. They even give her these sphere gadgets that she can deploy and collect like Pokemon balls! Where that comparison stops is her attitude. An imp, she wants to cause trouble and doesn't care who gets hurt in the process. She also shows initiative within what The Hood wants. Her car also reflects her personality and is a sharp contrast to FAB1. Very much the character The Hood wanted Kayo to be, and Thankfully isn't.

Fuse on the other hand, has essentially been lifted straight from DeObia Oparei's appearance and performance as Mullion in the 2004 film. One critical difference, Fuse has a sense of humour but only from a childlike need to cause pain and destruction. The facial likeness of the character when we first see him on the quad bike, reminded me of the moment in the film when Mullion grins like a loon when the characters steal TB2004-2. He is the anti Virgil. All muscles and a bit of a block head, (contrasting Virgil's sharp intelligence and decisiveness) who needs a shove from his sister to get things done from time to time. He also reflects Virgil's instinctive understanding and use of gadgets and technology by the use of explosives and his He-Man like punches. A classic Brain and Brawn double act with nuances. - The Mechanic however was all secrets and hidden agendas. Something you either plan carefully in advance, or you back yourself into a corner. Which is what they must have done! The Chaos Crew might work, but they are an abrupt about turn that can only work if the Writers pull their finger out. Sadly, we know by now, they won't.

The Mechanic now looks like a failed experiment. The fact there is NO rationale to what The Chaos Crew are doing is incredibly convenient. - It means there is no accountability, no end game and no continuity of events that can be expected any more. - They are doing what they are doing “because they are bad.” With an empty bottom box like that, the writers can excuse any old nonsense they choose to write, as the default M.O!

On the other side of the character coin we have Captain Rigby. As soon as he opened his mouth, I cringed. Every unflattering military stereotype is embodied in the character. He is dismissive and hostile of Kayo, has failed to gain any significant Intel, - and resents just how much Kayo and Lady P have secured, questions having to work with IR at all and is too stupid to recognise that Havoc has the high ground when in pursuit of her. - Plus Kayo has to point this out to him! He is fast to react, slow to think and his apology to Kayo while appropriate, feels rushed perfunctory and considering how rude he has been, insincere. If he really is the best that the GDF have, then they are in worse shape than I feared. Of course he could be a trap door character, someone who is working for The Hood on the quiet, but the way new supporting characters are written that is too easy an assumption to make. Intended or not, he also fits the bottomless box writing the writers have chosen to give themselves, as we will see.....

Part II, for Plot too.

Plus Points:

Initial “Everyone is busy” aspect is a nice opener.
Kayo & Lady P's Briefing. Well executed exposition.
The Ice Station Emergency is beautifully executed, inc the fact TB2.2 can't land on the ice.

Iffy Elements:
The RO-Bots are wonderfully unoriginal an idea.
Gordon's sudden A.I. technophobia is funny, but a bit out of character. (For any of the brothers.)
Alan's Woof -woof burp. Really?! At least Scott frowned on this.
Brains gives the RO-Bots the Hackenbacker Ok. - See part II)

Iffy to Excruciating Elements:
Rigby is written as an utter Jar Head. - The GDF looses more credibility points.
Person imprisoned is a deliberate plant. - Again? We had that for half of Season 2!

Possible References:
The RO-Bots Evoke Eve from Wall-E

TOS References & Another Anderson:
“Director Pattillo” - As in TOS Director Alan Pattillo?
Capt Rigby appearance is a mix of Steve Zodiac of XL5 and CGI Scarlet's Captain Blue. His first name Wayne could be a reference to Voice artist Wayne Forester, who as well as the voice of CGI Scarlet, was also part of the original Thunderbirds Stage show.

TB-2004
Fuse IS Mullion. - (See above)

Continuity Good:
We see Colonel Casey's Office at The Monolith Again....
The crane crashes remind me of “Unplugged” in Season 1.
It is referenced events are several weeks after the last episode, and there is no pattern or rationale to The Hood's behaviour....

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 22nd April 2018 at 04:38 PM.