Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 17th August 2018, 05:15 PM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaybor View Post
No bonus disc,no comic and no artcards.
Nice to see Network finally making bonus features for their Bluray reissues. A shame they didn't do it for Randall and Hopkirk or Dept. S
The comment from Network re: Department S was that they had found nothing of interest to put on (the BluRay set) as extras.
Old 17th August 2018, 07:56 PM
thetaybor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
The comment from Network re: Department S was that they had found nothing of interest to put on (the BluRay set) as extras.
When Randall and Dept S were announced most collectors were just asking that the dvd extras were included. Other Bluray sets like Space 1999 , The Persuaders and The Prisoner even included dvd's with the extras on. Both Dept S and Randall had 40 minute documentaries ( and more) actually made by Network so to say there was nothing of interest isn't really accurate.
With Scarlet (and UFO) they've commissioned and paid for new documentaries so to not include ones already available on other titles seems a missed opportunity

Last edited by thetaybor; 17th August 2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 17th August 2018, 09:58 PM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
When Randall and Dept S were announced most collectors were just asking that the dvd extras were included. Other Bluray sets like Space 1999 , The Persuaders and The Prisoner even included dvd's with the extras on. Both Dept S and Randall had 40 minute documentaries ( and more) actually made by Network so to say there was nothing of interest isn't really accurate.
With Scarlet (and UFO) they've commissioned and paid for new documentaries so to not include ones already available on other titles seems a missed opportunity
Perhaps Captain Scarlet was selling better so Network could invest in extras ?
Old 17th August 2018, 10:14 PM
thetaybor

Quote:
Perhaps Captain Scarlet was selling better so Network could invest in extras ?
No need to invest anything with Dept S or Randall as the documentaries were already there from the dvd and there was space enough on several volumes for the documentaries to be added without losing any quality from the episodes or having to add extra discs so the Network comment that they couldn't find anything of interest is obviously wrong

Last edited by thetaybor; 17th August 2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 18th August 2018, 02:22 PM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
No need to invest anything with Dept S or Randall as the documentaries were already there from the dvd and there was space enough on several volumes for the documentaries to be added without losing any quality from the episodes or having to add extra discs so the Network comment that they couldn't find anything of interest is obviously wrong
I take it you're not a fan of Network? ;-)
Old 18th August 2018, 08:38 PM
thetaybor

Quote:
I take it you're not a fan of Network? ;-)
I love Network. I would expect I have many more titles from Network than any other label in my collection. Doesn't stop me pointing out when they make mistakes though.
Like the appalling authoring and encoding of many of their dvd's almost 15 years after the problem first came to light.
Or their claims of "website exclusives" that we paid 25 for only to find that not long after you could buy them from Amazon for a fraction of the cost.
Or their dreadful website that despite 3 upgrades over the years still fails every time there is a sale or even something like the recent Goodies release where the website was screwed up for hours preventing many people from ordering.
And the aforementioned unnecessary lack of bonus features on some of their Bluray titles.
The only possibility I can think of is that although the documentaries were commissioned by Network that after all this time the rights to them may have reverted back to the production company - this is what happens with independent productions made for tv so maybe Network would have had to pay to use them again. But as always with Network information regarding that kind of thing never appears.

But they are by far the best label out there. Any company that brings Thriller, Ace of Wands, Robinson Crusoe and literally dozens of other titles to the market will always have a place on my shelf.
They know their stuff which is why a tv release from them will always be superior to something from Simply for example - although chances are the actual quality of the presentation will be superior from Simply because of the problem Network has with authoring.
And the quality of their Bluray releases are uniformly superb even being better than those releases by some of the Hollywood studios.
The recent Captain Scarlet Volume 4 is a perfect example of why ITV content on home video is in far safer hands than it would be if ITV themselves were releasing it

The Blurays for Randall and Dept S were excellent but my annoyance stems from the fact that we need to keep the dvd sets too if we want to watch the bonus features. It's only a minor niggle of course.

Last edited by thetaybor; 18th August 2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 19th August 2018, 08:40 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
You could always do what others have done and buy the set then sell the unwanted elements on ebay which should make the purchase a very reasonable price
Couldn't be bothered with the hassle. They missed an opportunity releasing it as a 2-disc set. Sure both could've fitted within an BluRay Amaray case. Shame.
Old 19th August 2018, 09:31 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Grant View Post
Couldn't be bothered with the hassle. They missed an opportunity releasing it as a 2-disc set. Sure both could've fitted within an BluRay Amaray case. Shame.
I don't think it was a missed opportunity, all but the final 20 copies have sold.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 19th August 2018, 09:56 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
I don't think it was a missed opportunity, all but the final 20 copies have sold.
And how many of the standard edition have sold?
Old 20th August 2018, 06:05 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Grant View Post
And how many of the standard edition have sold?
No idea, they weren't a limited edition release, so no way to know.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4