Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 14th October 2018, 01:26 PM
The Snake

But it is not of interest to the "fanbase as a whole" as evidenced by many comments on this forum.

And even if it was made by Gerry Anderson, that does not guarantee quality. Take that Candy disaster thing. Would you really like to see article upon article on that?

Last edited by saturnapollo; 14th October 2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 14th October 2018, 01:32 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
But it is not of interest to the "fanbase as a whole" as evidenced by many commets on this forum.
This forum makes up a minuscule % of the membership though, many of whom are not even aware of its existence. The vast majority of subscribers are digitally silent, and therefore it is impossible to say what their thoughts are on the matter.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 14th October 2018, 02:16 PM
The Snake

Quote:
The vast majority of subscribers are digitally silent, and therefore it is impossible to say what their thoughts are on the matter.
In which case you cannot claim it is of interest to the fanbase as a whole, as by your own words it is impossible to say what their thoughts are.
Old 14th October 2018, 02:39 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
In which case you cannot claim it is of interest to the fanbase as a whole, as by your own words it is impossible to say what their thoughts are.
But equally no one else can say it's not of interest to the fan base as a whole based on the comments on this forum.

I've mentioned previously that if people want to read other content, they should submit articles about it, but the last response I got was "I'm not paying X to read something I wrote myself". I mean how do people think the magazine is populated? It's a fan club, therefore fans supply the content. It's not a team of writers in some fancy office working on it such as the likes of Doctor Who magazine. If folks want change, then the opportunity is there. Grab a pen or a keyboard and have a bash. Some folks would say whatever is produced can't be any worse than TAG content...

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 14th October 2018, 08:37 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
But the rebooted JJ Abrams films divide the Star Trek community. These are more akin to TAG.
I would agree with that.
They are good entertainment but they are a separate entity to all the tv shows and I expect any Trek magazines have similar arguments whether they should be included.
Old 14th October 2018, 08:40 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
So where would that apprach (in theory) leave something like ...... "Space 1999 - The Next Generation", which tells the story of the decendants of the original Alpha crew desperately trying to find a home before the base finally becomes unusable?
As it would have no input from any of the creative team that made the original series it would be as important in the magazine as TAG. News of production etc. If it was live action it would at least be closer to the original series and merit some coverage on that front.

Star Trek TNG was a direct sequel to the original series done by many of the same team who made the original so is as important to Trek fans as TOS
Old 14th October 2018, 08:45 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
I'd say that'd be fair game, but the Star Trek analogy only works if you're looking at the Star Trek fanbase as a whole. I'm sure the argument that will be put forth by m'learned opposition will be that a Gene Roddenberry fan group should not discuss Star Trek series made after his death
Not at all.
All the Trek shows (not seen the latest one) exist in the same universe as TOS and TNG and feature crossovers of characters, stories, production personnel and are basically another chapter in an ongoing story made by people who produced earlier shows with Roddenberry and simply continued them after he died.

TAG has no connection to anything Anderson ever did bar the title and character names. There is no similarity in any form
Old 14th October 2018, 08:46 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
This forum makes up a minuscule % of the membership though, many of whom are not even aware of its existence. The vast majority of subscribers are digitally silent, and therefore it is impossible to say what their thoughts are on the matter.
So if they don't care enough to vote for it then notice should be taken of those who do care enough.
Old 14th October 2018, 08:48 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
But equally no one else can say it's not of interest to the fan base as a whole based on the comments on this forum.

I've mentioned previously that if people want to read other content, they should submit articles about it, but the last response I got was "I'm not paying X to read something I wrote myself". I mean how do people think the magazine is populated? It's a fan club, therefore fans supply the content. It's not a team of writers in some fancy office working on it such as the likes of Doctor Who magazine. If folks want change, then the opportunity is there. Grab a pen or a keyboard and have a bash. Some folks would say whatever is produced can't be any worse than TAG content...
I don't know how many subscribers to FAB have enough knowledge to write a feature that wouldn't be pulled apart by those with a greater knowledge.

This notion that if you don't provide any written input to the magazine it means you can't complain about what is in it is complete nonsense
Old 14th October 2018, 09:53 PM
The Snake

I would think that most people joined the Gerry Anderson appreciation society because they were interested in programmes produced by Gerry Anderson, not programmes inspired by Gerry Anderson.

Keith