Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > Fanderson 30th Birthday Party August 2011

Notices

Old 18th June 2011, 06:43 PM
Agent Blake

You have brought back bad memories with this! Thunderbirds the Comic ran this competition in the early 90s, and my kid brother and I actualy won it. I was miserable for weeks when I found out I wasn't getting the prize of longed-for Thunderbirds videos because the sponsors (ProSet) had gone under!!
Old 18th June 2011, 06:49 PM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

Very cool AC and i like the way you've tried to go for things not seen in the series

On the note of the second, pod vehicles are smaller subsidiary craft IR use other than the Thunderbirds so id say craft carried aboard Thunderbirds 1-5 do count, not just the ones carried aboard Thunderbird 2. Opens the field to more possibilities there. Any objections?

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 5th July 2011, 08:33 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisof View Post
Very cool AC and i like the way you've tried to go for things not seen in the series

On the note of the second, pod vehicles are smaller subsidiary craft IR use other than the Thunderbirds so id say craft carried aboard Thunderbirds 1-5 do count, not just the ones carried aboard Thunderbird 2. Opens the field to more possibilities there. Any objections?
Objections? Nope - looking forward to a few more entries
Old 11th July 2011, 05:15 PM
Zarin

So here's my first attempt at designing a pod vehicle. I'm afraid I got a rather poor grade on my recently completed Graphic Design GCSE so I have to apologise for the quality of the drawings

Vehicle Name: Firestorm 1-3

Concept Artwork:

Backstory:
The three "Firestorm" vehicles are International Rescue's fleet of new fire fighting vehicles, upgraded from the previous fire trucks and fire tenders to be more multi-purpose. These six-wheeled machines are designed to worked on more rugged terrain, moving across the danger zone at high speed, and even adapt from ocean based rescues. They are either carried in Pod 5 or, in a situation when they are required to work alongside Thunderbird 4, they can be launched from Pod 4. These vehicles could have been instrumental in controlling the fire on the drilling rig "Seascape" in the climax of the episode Atlantic Inferno.

Features:
  • Radio control link between the three vehicles enabling the driver of one Firestorm to control the others. This radio control system has been newly designed by Brains based on the events of "Trapped in the Sky".
  • Powerful water cannon capable of pumping 200 gallons of water per minute mounted on turret (360 degree yaw, 80 degrees pitch rotation)
  • Each of the six wheels is independently suspended on telescopic legs too allow for high manoeuvrability across rough terrain.
  • Telescopic legs retract when the vehicle enters water to allow for ocean based missions.
  • Thermal imaging cameras used to detect the source of the fire.
  • Powered by 1000 b.h.p dual-turbine engine on land, and an axial-flow turbine impeller on water.

Other statistics:
  • Crew capacity: 2 per vehicle
  • Top Speed on land: 140mph
  • Top Speed on water surface: 40 knots

Design History:
I was inspired by the events in "Atlantic Inferno" to design a vehicle that could fight fires from the surface of the ocean. However I realised that these vehicles could also function on land as well as on sea as a replacement for the IR fire truck and fire tender (which we see little of in the series). It struck me that IR's existing fire fighting equipment would not be as effective on difficult terrain as the Firestorm fleet which I have designed.

Last edited by j3pfilms; 11th July 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:24 PM
Spacehawk

Submission Date
- To enter you must post on this forum on this thread by the 1st August 2011.

Not long to go in this competition and remember if your coming to the party the last day you can book is the 6th August. The countdown has started
Old 30th July 2011, 10:36 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.
Default The "Duck"

Okay. *Takes deep breath* Here's my effort.

I should be working on something more productive, but I can’t miss even a slim opportunity of getting someone to do an illustration of one of my stories.

This is from chapter 16 of "Lodestar Lost". You'd have to read the entire story to discover why all five of the Tracy brothers are on board and no one's on Thunderbird Five.

---I-R---
---F-A-B---

“Lucky this flat area was here,” Virgil commented as he shut down Thunderbird Two’s motors. “It’s almost a perfect fit.”

“Apparently it used to be the helicopter pad and recreation area,” Scott told him. “Okay, fellas. Time to load up.”

The ‘Duck’ was another of International Rescue’s fantastic machines. It was long and thin with articulated sides which enabled it to traverse narrow, winding paths. When designing it Brains had boasted that would, “t-take to water l-like a duck” and the name had stuck, despite the fact that most observers had wondered why it hadn’t been christened the ‘centipede’, or at least the ‘worm’. Essentially a transporter, the Duck was designed to be able to traverse all types of terrain with equal ease; from dry, smooth roads, to churning flood waters. The machine’s versatility meant its ride wasn’t exactly smooth; even Gordon had been known to have felt a touch of nausea when travelling in it (his brothers had blamed a chocolate binge the night before); but it was efficient and big enough to hold twenty people.

“All set?” Virgil asked, and sent the Duck waddling down the pod’s ramp.

“Ow!” Alan complained as his head was bashed against the wall. “We’ve got to get this thing padded. Either that or improve the suspension.”

“You’d feel more at home if it was a padded cell, would you?” Gordon teased.

“At least I’d arrive at the danger zone without a headache,” Alan retorted, and was thrown against the wall again.

---F-A-B---

“We’ve got trouble!” John reported from his seat at the communications console in the Duck. “More of the hillside’s collapsed. There’s a huge backwash from the river on the way…”

The Duck made a violent movement to port, threatening to roll right over. There was a hissing sound and they felt pontoons inflate to stabilise the craft. Everything settled down to its rough waddling motion again.

“Phew!” Scott exclaimed. “Everyone okay?” He received four affirmative replies.

“Talk about white water!” Virgil yelled over his shoulder from the driver’s seat as he continued wrestling with the steering.

“The town’s submerged!” Gordon exclaimed. “We’ve got to hurry!”

“We’re going as fast as we can,” Virgil replied. “We’ll be there in, um…”

“We don’t need a precise report,” Alan told him. “Roughly?”

“Roughly, we’re there. The lower part of the town is submerged beneath us.”

“Was anyone there?” John asked Scott.

“I don’t know. I don’t think so. They won’t have had much of a chance if they were…”

---F-A-B---

“Water level’s dropping,” Gordon reported.

“The rain’s eased off too,” Scott added. He looked at his watch. “It’s after sunset. We’re going to be working in the dark.”

“We’re on the road,” Virgil reported. “I think…” There was a bump as the Duck made contact with solid ground and the pontoons retracted back into their housings.

A building loomed out of the darkness. “Looks like the fire station,” Scott commented. “Park by the door, Virg. It’ll be a good marshalling area.”

The Duck halted outside the double doors of the station. The power of the flood waters had forced them open and scoured it empty.

---I-R---
---F-A-B---

I envisage the "Duck" being a kind of transporter/ambulance. It would have a full first aid station inside that was insulated from the machine's motion. It would be used by International Rescue to get to victims trapped where Thunderbird Two can't reach. Places like flooded canyons (as above), or in narrow streets flanked by high-rise buildings.

Just to make the "Duck" a bit more visually interesting, I've added "mandibles" at the front. These would scrape any debris blocking the "Duck's" path into its mouth - a giant grinder. The reside would be dropped on the ground and the "Duck" would walk, or float, over it.

The 'feet' of the "Duck" are slightly web shaped and the back pair are used for propulsion and steering when the pontoons are activated. Others can be called into action when the machine needs a bit more push.

Access is through the front or rear face of the craft. The entire wall opens out to allow ease of access, especially with stretchers.

The "Duck" is capable of breaking itself into sections, allowing the first aid station to be air lifted without having to move patients more than necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Duck front.jpg   Duck pontoons.jpg   Duck rear door open.jpg   Duck rear pontoons.jpg   Duck rear walking.jpg   Duck walking.jpg  
Old 31st July 2011, 05:36 PM
Spacehawk

Both very cool designs Jack and Serrena and very ingenious ways of making them both multi purpose

Old 9th August 2011, 08:30 AM
Spacehawk

Default The Winner(s)

To see the results - click below

http://www.fanderson.org.uk/forum/sh...ed=1#post12560
Old 9th August 2011, 10:11 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.
Thumbs up

Congratulations to the other three winners. There are some truly creative minds out there.

Old 30th August 2011, 10:55 PM
Spacehawk

And thats us, congrats and thank you to everyone who entered, i will be working on prints of each of these vehicles in action, these wont be going on the internet so that they are truly unique.

Ever since we released the news that we where going to do an image for all the entrants i've had a couple of emails from people who hadn't entered asking to do their design anyway, naturally the answer no as the prize was given for everyone who had made the effort to enter.

I have enjoyed doing this comp and intend to do more in the future, while i cant guarantee the prize being the same it still is good fun and i would encourage people to enter even if some of the entries are a bit daunting, as it is just a bit of fun. It has also been fascinating to see some of the creativity brought out by it

Last edited by Chrisof; 31st August 2011 at 08:18 AM.