Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > Timelash - Live - Thunderbird 6

Notices

Old 19th June 2013, 09:34 PM
R.A.T.

Well back to sleep for a couple of hours - thank you so much for your thoughts. It was a thrill to read, for what I consider Gerry's finest hour!
Old 20th June 2013, 09:06 AM
Spacehawk

Curses - missed this ! But very interesting to hear all the comments. I've always been a big fan of Thunderbird Six (unlike Theo !) - one of the most beautifully designed films of the 60s, with a very thoughtful script. The comments referring back to Supercar are also very apt - the film draws heavily on the series, particularly with the bi-plane scenes (Hi-Jack) and the vehicle trapped on a mast (The Runaway Train). A Blu-Ray release please MGM !
Old 21st June 2013, 08:14 AM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

As much as I love this film, I've always found it a little bit surprising that it got made when you consider TAG wasn't commercially successful. These days it wouldn't happen. Also, I've always considered it a bit of a shame Gerry and the gang didn't think of the films the other way round. TB6 being in my opinion the better of the two films, it would have been great to have that as TB's introduction to the big screen, and then as a follow up TAG may have made more money and you never know, we may have even got a third one. What could have been eh. But we got what we got and I'm grateful for it. One thing I always enjoy about TB6 is the comedy in it, it is so funny. The scene where Parker is sitting on the wheels of the plane makes me laugh every time I see it, his face, although only made of wood, is hilarious. It's one of the most enjoyable film scenes I know. Humour doesn't always work in adventure stories, but it sure does work in TB6. It's an extremely enjoyable film, but one that I sadly have never seen on a cinema screen. When it came out back in the far off days when films got one week at the cinema from Thursday to Thursday, I for some reason didn't know it was on. One of my early posts describes how at the time I was unaware this film existed despite the fact that I was taken to see TAG and everyone knew I only existed for Thunderbirds, but there you go. It was a film that had been and gone and one all my school friends had seen during the summer holiday, before I knew anything about it, and I never got a chance to see it until it was eventually shown on UK tv. But since then I've seen it many times and always absolutely love it. So now it's all over I'm looking forward to our next shared viewing event.
Old 21st June 2013, 09:08 AM
Zarin

Default TB6-Joe 90

Yes, Sam, I don't like TB6. I watch it and really enjoy models and puppets but as a TB story it just doesn't cut it. Jeff as spoiled brat who wants a new TB6 but has no clue what it should be. So he has no need for it!

The exploding missile base is refound in the pilot episode of Joe-90 that must have been around the corner at the end of TB6 production.

I have yet to find a HD version of the movie. Turner Classic Movies once announced showing it, but that turned out to be an upscaled version of the SD version. And that doesn't make it HD. You can make sausage out of a pig but not a pig out of a sausage (at least not by today's technology).

Thunderbirds on the big screen could have been marvelous and outshine stuff like "2001". If only it had a story to tell...

The best I found sofar was a 720p version of TaG once broadcast on tv. TB6 hardly gets any screening time (I wonder why...).
Old 21st June 2013, 10:57 AM
Spacehawk

That's the beauty of opinions. We're all entitled to them and there's no rule that says they all have to be the same. As I stated in my previous post, I love TB6 imperfections and all, but everyones opinion is valid and worth hearing. That's the great thing about this forum no one is wrong and everyone is right because it's all down to how we feel about the Anderson universe, and personal feelings can't be wrong.
You nention Joe 90. That, along with Space 1999 and Terahawks, was an Anderson series I could never get into. I have no dislike for it, but unlike TB, Stingray, Scarlett, and UFO it just doesn't really do it for me, but many love it and rightly so. Again we come back to personal opinions and feelings. I think it's a so so series that is no beter than ok, and I'm right. But so is the person who thinks it's fantastic, he's right too. I'm glad you are not a massive fan of TB6. Opinions like yours, and counter opiniins like mine give us all a well rounded view. And we'll always benefit from that.
Old 21st June 2013, 01:00 PM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

I must confess, I forgot about this and ended up watching "Serenity" instead :S

I'll watch TB6 over the next few days. It is probably my favourite of the 3 movies.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 21st June 2013, 02:33 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deklerkt View Post
Yes, Sam, I don't like TB6. I watch it and really enjoy models and puppets but as a TB story it just doesn't cut it. Jeff as spoiled brat who wants a new TB6 but has no clue what it should be. So he has no need for it!
I don't see any problem with the story as such - it has many of the elements of a classic TV episode. True, the characters have a harder, more adult edge, but that echoed the way Century 21 was developing at the time. This approach may be part of the reason the film wasn't as successful commercially, and may not have pleased those who liked the original series, but I feel it resulted in a more interesting take on the show's concept which is more in tune with the real world than the optimistic approach of the TV show.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:45 AM
Spacehawk

As much as I have always loved all Anderson series, for me Thunderbirds has always been the only one, which in it's natural un altered appearance, had the scope and lavishness to work as a cinema film. Nothing needed upscaling or changing. I don't feel it would have worked as well if it were any other Anderson series. I have always felt that Thunderbirds suited the big screen so well, that for me it could have easilly been the other way round, for me it would have looked perfectly right if it were originally a cinema film that spun off into a tv series. I may possibly be alone in thinking that, or I may not, but my point is, for me it worked perfectly on both tv and cinema, and imperfections asside, I think TAG and TB6 are two very enjoyable films. TB6 being, for me, the better of the two. I would make a useless critic, all I ever see are the good aspects.
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:04 AM
R.A.T.

As the final Thunderbirds adventure, we have come to know and love the characters (and machines). The new puppets, for the most part, look great, and so do the revamped sets. Foster is probably the best villian International Rescue has faced, and the music is top notch. It is a real thrill to have a big orchestra matching to picture the original soundtrack - incorporating the Thunderbirds theme throughout. The sound quality in Thunderbird 6 is a step up from Thunderbirds Are Go. Ironically though, I have had two amusing experiences with the sound. Firstly, my dad years ago was finally able to track down an ex rental VHS of Thunderbird 6, however the machine chewed part of it up. Taking the tape back to the video store for them to splice back together, forevermore the scene became "Tin-Tin come here a minute" "Certainly Mr Tracy, is there anything wrong?" "Tin-Tin...", and then a line came across the scene, cutting the Tracy Villa before Alan leaves. Secondly, having to choose between watching TBAG or TB6 at the cinemas in 2001 (when I was too young to make dosh), naturally TB6 was the choice. The final shot with Barry Gray's Thunderbirds theme became distorted just as the curtains were closing. The ten or so people in the cinema laughed as the film ended.

Athough many feel the film lacks a punch in the first hour, in my opinion the story slowly builds to one action packed finale featuring gunfights, explosions and suspence. The pay off is definitely worth it, and in the mean time there's some good character development an plenty of interest. It's also great seeing Brains in his brown sash IR uniform - giving the film a unique visual. I firmly regard Thunderbird 6 as Gerry Anderson's finest work.

Last edited by capt_ochre; 22nd June 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:22 PM
The Snake

Must admit I do not like TB6 at all. The trouble with both films is that they relied too heavily on the guest vehicles and the Thunderbirds themselves really didn't get much of a look in and no pod vehicles at all.

The best episodes of the TV series featured a mix of puppetry, vehicles and special effects. In my opinion the episodes which relied too heavily on the puppets were the weakest. Therefore after the relative falure at the box office of TAG I was surprised Gerry Anderson veered more to the puppet side of things and even further away from what made a good TV episode.

And has been said the very premise of Jeff suddenly deciding he needed another Thunderbird (not pod vehicle but another TB) made no sense as every eventuallity was covered with the existing five. Never had it been hinted that IR were short in thast deparment.

And he didn't even know what he wanted it to do.

To introduce a Tiger Moth, took the whole thing away from 21st Century marvels which the entire series had revolved.

And I'm not a fan either of too much comedy in these (never was even as a child of 10) That's probably why over the years I've grown more fond of Captain Scarlet.

Keith