Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 22nd August 2015, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Well no, but it did take ages to write, so it's slightly hurtful to think it was a waste.

Well that's just the first half of the guide, you should probably wait until the inevitable second half of it appears. I mean it's still a version of Thunderbirds after all, it's the reason most people became Anderson fans. Not featuring it would be akin to not featuring anything post William Hartnell's Doctor Who as it wasn't produced by Verity Lambert or not featuring any of the Star Trek series made after Gene Roddenberry's death.
No it wouldn't. Not at all.
Star Trek was a concept and it's a concept people enjoy. As far as I am aware there is no Gene Roddenberry fanclub. Only Star Trek fanclubs.
Same with Dr Who. There are Dr Who fanclubs and there isn't either a William Hartnell nor Verity Lambert magazine.
Fanderson follows the work of Gerry Anderson/ Sylvia Anderson and that's that.

I'm not commenting on the quality of the article - obviously I won't be reading it - but just that there really need not be any more coverage beyond what is in this issue until it returns.
It is NOT an Anderson production. There's plenty out there for me to read on Anderson inspired content.
It would be like buying a Star Trek magazine and finding a feature on Babylon 5 in it.

Last edited by phelings; 22nd August 2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:41 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
It would be like buying a Star Trek magazine and finding a feature on Babylon 5 in it.
There used to be loads of B5 coverage in Star Trek Monthly, ditto with FarScape and occasionally Buffy. Similar series to hook the reader's interest. Though to be honest, TAG has a lot more in common with Thunderbirds (including notably David Graham as Parker, literally the same actor playing the same character) than any of those shows have with Star Trek.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
There used to be loads of B5 coverage in Star Trek Monthly, ditto with FarScape and occasionally Buffy. Similar series to hook the reader's interest. Though to be honest, TAG has a lot more in common with Thunderbirds (including notably David Graham as Parker, literally the same actor playing the same character) than any of those shows have with Star Trek.
Had I bought Star Trek Monthly back then I would have cancelled it too.

I'm not saying it has no connection to Thunderbirds. It does, but not enough to make coverage worthwhile beyond what this issue includes.

The bottom line is that Fanderson is supposed to cover the work of Gerry / Sylvia Anderson. That is a very clear remit.

TAG is most definitely not a Gerry Anderson production so beyond a single feature we should not see much more about it.
Same goes for Thunderbirds 1965 which I expect will be worthy of a review and maybe one article but nothing else.
If there is room for too much of this stuff then it might be fair to think that perhaps after 34 years there is not much left to say about the Gerry shows we all love.
We're already down one issue a year so lets not lessen the genuine Anderson content too.

As for David Graham as Parker - he may be playing a character with the same name as the one he played 50 years ago but is it the same character? I think this Parker exists in an alternate universe where things are different to the original series.

I don't agree that Thunderbirds is the reason most people became Anderson fans. Surely we all became fans based on what we saw at the right age then when we got older we started discovering the other shows - not that easy when you had to find them on ITV.
I can't be sure but I don't think when I saw UFO in 1970 aged 8 that I linked it to any earlier series. That connection came later.

TAG is worthy of the same amount of coverage as the 2004 movie.

Last edited by phelings; 22nd August 2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 23rd August 2015, 12:22 AM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:

TAG is worthy of the same amount of coverage as the 2004 movie.
I was rather disappointed that both TAG! and the lamentable 2004 film took up so many pages in FAB 81. Neither of these are Gerry Anderson productions and would appear to be outside of the remit of the club. It seems a missed opportunity that more space was not devoted to the piece on Alan Shubrook. I would have though it far better to document the memories of one of the key remaining Century 21 veterans who worked on the original shows than to fill space with an episode guide to TAG!, however well presented. Perhaps a brief interview with David Graham and a short piece covering the launch of the show might have been appropriate, but please don't treat it as if it was a part of Gerry's canon of work. Similarly, why drag over the coals of the 2004 film when we know what Gerry's opinion of it was. Anyway, aside from the TAG!/2004 coverage, I thought that the magazine was very good and the UFO coverage was a refreshing change from all things Thunderbirds.

Given that Sylvia Anderson will be attending the convention in October I hope that the next edition of FAB will give full coverage to her appearance, so that those who are unable to attend the event might have an opportunity to read what she has to say. I am sure that this would merit far more space in FAB 82 than any further mentions of non-Gerry Anderson productions.

Perhaps it might be better to post TAG!-related features on this forum in some form for those that wish to read them, rather than feature them in the club magazine which we are paying to read?
Old 23rd August 2015, 02:43 AM
R.A.T.

Sadly my copy has not arrived yet.

However I'm happy to read about shows derived from Anderson's work like Thunderbirds Are Go as well as the originals.

With the passing of time there are inevitably going to be fewer people around to talk to who worked on the classic shows. For me reporting on the new Anderson derived productions is a way of keeping interest in his work going (the traffic on this forum certainly increased massively when TAG started !)

But then I guess I'm unusual as an Anderson fan as I was never that into the puppet shows anyway, preferring the live action ones and New Captain Scarlet !
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:27 AM
Protector

Default Fab 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP* View Post

With the passing of time there are inevitably going to be fewer people around to talk to who worked on the classic shows. For me reporting on the new Anderson derived productions is a way of keeping interest in his work going (the traffic on this forum certainly increased massively when TAG started !)
This matter shows comparisons with the fundamentalistic exchange of opinions some years ago about bluray picture cropping, 4:3 and 16:9 ratios. Hefty times and harsh words back then!
Personally I fully agree with phelings'and Harding's standpoint, I don't care at all about TAG, nor the 2004 failure. But remember, the story is released and got printed in FAB by the guys in FanderTowers, the same ones who have brought us all the wonderful articles in one of the worlds finest and longest running fanclub magazines. The same ones we hold so dearly, whom we respect for spending their valuable spare time to Fanderson. THEY are the ones who considered it of interest to pay this kind of attention to TAG. Give these guys some credit and respect their decision, rather than to threat with cancelling subscriptions. Think of what you would miss when you did!

And to be honest, there may very well be interest from other long time Fanderson members about TAG, who knows. It may attrackt youngsters into joining Fanderson and get them acquainted with the worlds of Gerry Anderson. But indeed I do hope this will blow over after a few FABs, same as the 2004 movie emotions did...

FAB!

And I didn't like the cropping either!

Old 23rd August 2015, 11:22 AM
Banned

As I said , I expect a certain level of coverage on these things but they are not Anderson productions so are only worthy of a brief feature.
Like the features on the old comic strips in the various publications it's good to read about them in a one off feature without them making frequent appearances.

I expect few fans enjoy every series Gerry made so there won't be a single issue where everybody will enjoy everything but that's the nature of the subject.

Remember we are paying almost 10 an issue for FAB now so it really needs to try and stick with the core subject rather than veering off too often.

Aren't there more than enough genuine shows to be looked at from every angle without spending too much time on these pretenders?

I would have expected a review of the US Thunderbirds Bluray but maybe that's for the next issue along with the new Aussie disc of Doppelganger.

Last edited by phelings; 23rd August 2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 23rd August 2015, 12:13 PM
Zarin

I guess it's a all matter of balance and taste.

I wasn't enamoured with TAG and found the 2004 film unspeakably trite and vile, but I accept that they are 'takes' on the genre that I love and will, therefore, get some mention in FAB magazine. After all there might be other members who found those programmes acceptable. But it's a matter of ensuring that it doesn't become overworked or too dominant to the extent that it excludes more acceptable and appropriate GA content.

Therefore I'm happy to read news of such programmes along with perhaps a brief synopsis of the content (as with the interesting but thankfully short programme guides in FAB 81). Had it been a major feature like the UFO one it would have been a different matter IMO. I'm sure that the editors, contributors and publishers will realise that and ensure an appropriate balance is maintained.

So yep, I still enjoyed issue 81 - not that 've fully read it - but certainly what I have so far. And I'm sure that I'll enjoy the rest. I'm certainly not about to consider ditching membership on the inclusion of a few reports about current programme developments. I might learn something about them that I do like.

Z
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:38 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
The bottom line is that Fanderson is supposed to cover the work of Gerry / Sylvia Anderson. That is a very clear remit.
Well Sylvia's had some involvement with TAG, so that will be covered in the future. Likewise Gerry's estate, Sylvia's estate and ITV have all approved the production of Thunderbirds 1965, which I imagine will get its fair share of coverage, being the closest anyone will ever get to making new episodes of the original series.

Quote:
Aren't there more than enough genuine shows to be looked at from every angle without spending too much time on these pretenders?
The problem with having all the "genuine" shows to analyse is that it's been done to death over the years, there's a finite amount you can say about series XYZ before you've exhausted the material for it. After a while people start complaining about shows like Terrahawks and Space Precinct getting featured in-depth, because they're not providing any useful new information on what type of windscreen washer fluid FAB1 uses, the design of SHADO HQ's lavatory's or the exact type of glass used in the cabin lights of an Eagle.

At the end of the day, with so many shows, it's difficult to please everyone all of the time, but considering TAG has contributed to renewed interest in Fanderson, and an explosion of activity on the Facebook group, it's only fair that it gets featured now and in the future as the series progresses. As for the 2004 films inclusion, it's only a retrospective look back and won't be a regular feature in future issues.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 24th August 2015, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well Sylvia's had some involvement with TAG, so that will be covered in the future. Likewise Gerry's estate, Sylvia's estate and ITV have all approved the production of Thunderbirds 1965, which I imagine will get its fair share of coverage, being the closest anyone will ever get to making new episodes of the original series.

The problem with having all the "genuine" shows to analyse is that it's been done to death over the years, there's a finite amount you can say about series XYZ before you've exhausted the material for it. After a while people start complaining about shows like Terrahawks and Space Precinct getting featured in-depth, because they're not providing any useful new information on what type of windscreen washer fluid FAB1 uses, the design of SHADO HQ's lavatory's or the exact type of glass used in the cabin lights of an Eagle.

At the end of the day, with so many shows, it's difficult to please everyone all of the time, but considering TAG has contributed to renewed interest in Fanderson, and an explosion of activity on the Facebook group, it's only fair that it gets featured now and in the future as the series progresses. As for the 2004 films inclusion, it's only a retrospective look back and won't be a regular feature in future issues.
The fact that Gerrys estate, Sylvia and ITV approve of TAG changes nothing. It is NOT a GA production.

If you're saying these non GA shows should fill the pages of FAB because everything about the original shows that can be said has been said then that is saying it's time for subs to be cancelled and Fanderson to close.