Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 24th August 2015, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP* View Post
Hear hear !

If people seriously want to leave because they can't bear to read about Thunderbirds Are Go, Thunderbirds 1965, Gemini Force One, Firestorm or any other projects that have come along since Gerry died... well cheerio then.

I see no difference between articles about those projects and articles about toys, annuals, comic strips etc which were based on Gerry's shows but which he personally had nothing to do with.

I'm sure the main focus will continue to be on the classic shows but articles on new Anderson spin off projects bring some welcome freshness to the mix.
While modern toys and annuals are not that interesting the original 60's product certainly is. Wasn't Century 21 Merchandising Gerrys company? And certainly the annuals that carry that company name are streets ahead of anything before or since.

At any rate , they would only warrant one feature and TAG has had that.
I'm not saying it should not be included at all but it doesn't need to again. Next issues fan opinions on the first 2 episodes should be the last time it appears in the mag until the second half of the guide.
Old 25th August 2015, 05:08 PM
R.A.T.

Arrived today.

Had a flick through and I can see that if your only interest is reading articles about the Gerry Anderson shows themselves then this issue will not appeal. The only such article is the UFO one.

The rest are the Thunderbirds 2004 / Thunderbirds Are Go articles, and two articles about spin off merchandising.

Personally I find these kind of merchandising articles fascinating as they offer the kind of coverage that you just wouldn't get anywhere else.

Had I quick look at the TAG guide and I like the fact that it's been done from a uniquely Fanderson perspective, pointing out the references back to the classic shows. Again, I don't think this approach would have been taken anywhere else.

Next issue perhaps looks more to the taste of those who just want to read about Gerry Anderson's work with articles on Space :1999 and Supercar (although the TAG opener gets the Timelash spot !)
Old 25th August 2015, 06:29 PM
Zarin

Quote:
Hear hear !

I'm sure the main focus will continue to be on the classic shows but articles on new Anderson spin off projects bring some welcome freshness to the mix.
Yep, I'm in agreement here. It's all a matter of balance as I mentioned earlier.

I see no reason to close the club down because a few don't like some of the articles in FAB, especially when they are related (to some extent) and aren't the main focus (and hopefully don't become so). Far better for those people to leave and let those still happy with the club (and any potential new members that might be attracted) to soldier on.

I'm very happy with FAB and look forward to the next.

Z.
Old 25th August 2015, 06:37 PM
Zarin

As a long time member and one of the first generation Anderson fans, I was also disappointed with Fab 81 as I felt there was not much in it of interest to the older fans.

Obviously there are younger members who enjoy the newer series/shows/films and there is nothing wrong with that, but I'm afraid they pale very badly when compared to Gerry's best work.

Hopefully, the next edition will pick up for us fans of the original Anderson series.

I feel privileged to have been a child of the perfect age when Gerry produced his wonderful 60's series (I was 9 when JOE 90 was 9 for instance!)

Those series had a magic that you just can't replicate in any other era------ amazingly looking back,some unbelievably talented people all fell into one place at one time. It was fate.

Gerry couldn't replicate the magic later,though he tried hard enough.

I've given up on re-makes, re-boots, etc they just are a waste of peoples time and skills,they just tarnish the legend of the original shows.
Love the old shows for what they are--------utter magic!
Old 25th August 2015, 06:50 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:

Had I quick look at the TAG guide and I like the fact that it's been done from a uniquely Fanderson perspective, pointing out the references back to the classic shows. Again, I don't think this approach would have been taken anywhere else.
Aww cheers MLP, I thought it'd be a nice idea to include the references to the classic series, just to tie it in a bit more for the older fans, glad you liked that aspect

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 25th August 2015, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Aww cheers MLP, I thought it'd be a nice idea to include the references to the classic series, just to tie it in a bit more for the older fans, glad you liked that aspect
If I'd read it I would have appreciated that aspect too but unfortunately I just found the show to be so bad I have no further interest in it after viewing the few episodes I did see.
Sorry

I don't have any issues with features on spin offs or merchandising or comic strips because they are related to the genuine stuff and usually only have one feature and one feature is fine for all this.
The important thing is for the original series to take priority.

If TAG has led to an increase in people looking for info on Gerry's shows or on looking to join Fanderson all well and good but it's not a good enough reason for increased coverage on TAG.

Last edited by phelings; 25th August 2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:40 PM
The Snake

Quote:
but it's not a good enough reason for increased coverage on TAG.
Especially as there are only 3 issues of FAB per year which makes each around 10.

I have always been most interested in the model work, design and SFX of the original shows and as the new series is dreadful in these respects I have next to zero interest in it. If these aspects had been properly addressed I would have been interested in the series and happy enough for a reasonable amount of coverage in FAB as I am interested in this sort of thing in TV and film series in general.

Keith
Old 26th August 2015, 11:57 AM
R.A.T.

I thought the Thunderbirds movie was awful. Instead of going for a family audience they produced a very juvenile Spy Kids style affair, aimed firmly at young children, where the focus is on three kids running round on an island while the Tracy family are sidelined.

Nevertheless it was interesting to read the article as it seems that some people out there actually do enjoy it !

The UFO article was a good read, although perhaps not much new in there if you've got the Chris Bentley book.
It did make me hope that a Blu-ray release will be forthcoming soon as I quite fancy watching the show again.
Old 26th August 2015, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

The UFO article was a good read, although perhaps not much new in there if you've got the Chris Bentley book.
It did make me hope that a Blu-ray release will be forthcoming soon as I quite fancy watching the show again.
The German UFO Bluray is excellent and has been out for almost a year.
It's certainly a worthwhile purchase while we wait for a UK release that may be years away
Old 27th August 2015, 11:28 AM
Zarin

Recieved FAB 81 today.