Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 11th November 2016, 10:20 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Default Robert Vaughn RIP

Actor Robert Vaughn has died aged 83.

The American was best known for his iconic role as Napoleon Solo in The Man from UNCLE.

His manager, Matthew Sullivan, said he passed away after a battle with acute leukaemia.

Mr Sullivan, who represented him for 30 years, said: “Mr Vaughn passed away with his family around him.”

The actor is survived by wife Linda, son Cassidy and daughter Caitlin.
Old 12th November 2016, 11:24 AM
Spacehawk

Sorry to hear this news - particularly sad that he succumbed to a sudden illness rather than old age. Otherwise I suspect he'd have been around a few years yet.

It's a shame that where his work on The Protectors has been mentioned, it's in connection with an air of acrimony. I guess that's inevitable given Vaughn's well known feelings about the show (and the fact that most obits have been lazily copied from well known existing sources, including his autobiography).

Quite sobering that all three stars of The Protectors are now no longer with us.

RIP Mr Vaughn.
Old 12th November 2016, 12:15 PM
Spacehawk

I absolutely loved watching The Man from U.N.CL.E. when I was a kid. I always loved the way Solo introduced himself to a girl in one episode as "Napoleon S.O.L.O. of the U.N.C.L.E." Cool.

I wonder if conspiracy theorists will suggest that he predicted his day and month of death by picking badge number 11.

Maybe it's time for me to buy that Protectors DVD box set that I've been thinking about for so long?

R.I.P. the original (and best) man from U.N.C.L.E.
Old 13th November 2016, 12:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
I absolutely loved watching The Man from U.N.CL.E. when I was a kid. I always loved the way Solo introduced himself to a girl in one episode as "Napoleon S.O.L.O. of the U.N.C.L.E." Cool.

I wonder if conspiracy theorists will suggest that he predicted his day and month of death by picking badge number 11.

Maybe it's time for me to buy that Protectors DVD box set that I've been thinking about for so long?

R.I.P. the original (and best) man from U.N.C.L.E.
Carltons box of The Protectors was the first ever time I saw that 16mm could scrub up very well. Must be over a decade ago and I've yet to get past episode 1. I don't really know why.

Although I have The Man From Uncle suitcase set I will always remember Mr Vaughn as Albert Stroller in Hustle.
And a string of iconic movies too.

RIP Bob, thanks for the memories.
Old 13th November 2016, 01:29 AM
Dreisenberg Agent

I was too young to remember him as Napoleon Solo in UNCLE but I do remember Robert Vaughn as Harry Rule in The Protectors in the early 1970s on ATV also seeing him in The Towering Inferno at the pictures in 1974. A fine actor - RIP Robert Vaughn.
Old 13th November 2016, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Harding View Post
I was too young to remember him as Napoleon Solo in UNCLE but I do remember Robert Vaughn as Harry Rule in The Protectors in the early 1970s on ATV also seeing him in The Towering Inferno at the pictures in 1974. A fine actor - RIP Robert Vaughn.
I am also too young to recall him on the original Uncle run on the BBC which ended in the late 60's but it popped up on a few ITV regions in the 70's , many more in the 80's then finally got a decent repeat on BBC2 in the 90's ( after Bravo had repeated most of the B&W episodes).

I love The Towering Inferno but I think they could have used him more in that movie - too many stars and not enough time I guess.
For me he also had the dubious honour of being in one of the best and one of the worst episodes of Columbo.
Last Salute to the Commodore is (for me) a real yawnfest and its possibly the only time in the original 70's run where the murderer is not revealed until the end. It's a while since I saw it but IIRC the audience is lead to believe Vaughn is the killer all the way through.
Old 14th November 2016, 01:41 AM
Zarin

"he was a good in superman 3 and he was in a 1986 tv series called stingray and the 1986 john carpenter of who I'm a fan black moon rising the other columbo he was in was troubled waters . rip Robert.
Old 15th November 2016, 08:49 AM
Zeroid

I remember watching the repeats of UNCLE on BBC2 if I recall after the Anderson repeats, then bought tapes of The protectors. It was great to see him back on TV again in hustle which I thought was a great TV show and in a way was reminiscent of the 60s and 70s shows but with a modern twist.

RIP Robert Vaughn

Last edited by Anderfan; 15th November 2016 at 08:52 AM.