Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 7th October 2018, 10:57 AM
Butler

Unhappy Thunderbirds Beyond the Horizon

Thunderbirds Live Show in London is postponed until 2019

The producers of THUNDERBIRDS: BEYOND THE HORIZON have announced the decision to postpone the production until 2019.

Producers Limelight Productions and ebp said today, “Our ambition is to deliver a visually and technically rich world to immerse our audiences in, utilising cutting-edge technologies and creative opportunities. To achieve our ambitions to the level of detail and complexity needed, we decided to build our own venue, The Buzz.

However, in order to continue developing its unique technical and immersive elements, we have had to reschedule the show. THUNDERBIRDS: BEYOND THE HORIZON will now open in late 2019. More information to be announced in the New Year. Customers should contact their point of purchase to operate a full refund.
Old 8th October 2018, 05:24 AM
Spacehawk

In other words "Have your money back and forget it."

The tickets are obviously not selling and the producers must have realised that there is going to be "...a great disaster!" Sadly, the reality is that Thunderbirds isn't big enough to pack 'em in and TBAG certainly ain't. So it's a case of 'Operation Cover up' as they count their losses and run for the hills while they still have some money left to lose. It was never gonna happen, folks. Accept it. By this time next year, 'The Buzz' will have been converted into luxury apartments and this doomed venture will have been quietly forgotten about.

Beyond the Horizon in more ways than one.
Old 8th October 2018, 01:23 PM
Jason Smith

Always seemed a bit of a far fetched idea.
Old 8th October 2018, 03:04 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
Always seemed a bit of a far fetched idea.
Yeah. It might have worked in 1992, but you just can't fill houses with Thunderbirds fans night after night now. It would cost a fortune to get this production up and running and then it would be a repeat of the film... half empty houses or less. No one went to see the 2004 film. No one watches TBAG and a few thousand people (worldwide) watching a Twitch marathon for free isn't going to translate into a box office hit (and certainly not at the prices they were going to charge!).

A nice idea, but utter madness!
Old 8th October 2018, 06:07 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
No one went to see the 2004 film. No one watches TBAG
Saw TB2004 at the cinema three times, first two within the opening weeks, screens were 75% full, once more a few weeks later and they were still 50% full.

Countless folks around the world watch TAG, thousands of whom can be found on the TAG Facebook group. New toys are coming soon. Not exactly an indicator of no one watching.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 8th October 2018, 08:32 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Saw TB2004 at the cinema three times, first two within the opening weeks, screens were 75% full, once more a few weeks later and they were still 50% full.

Countless folks around the world watch TAG, thousands of whom can be found on the TAG Facebook group. New toys are coming soon. Not exactly an indicator of no one watching.
Despite your personal experience the history books tell us what a flop the 2004 movie was.

New toys are an indicator of nothing except Xmas is on the way.
There were new toys and even a new logo for Joe 90 to capitalise on the BBC repeats in the 90's but I don't recall that being a big success either.

As CD says, watching TB for free equates to nothing just as being able to watch TAG for free does not equate to people being interested enough to buy toys or go and see an expensive show
Old 8th October 2018, 08:58 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
Despite your personal experience the history books tell us what a flop the 2004 movie was.

New toys are an indicator of nothing except Xmas is on the way.
There were new toys and even a new logo for Joe 90 to capitalise on the BBC repeats in the 90's but I don't recall that being a big success either.

As CD says, watching TB for free equates to nothing just as being able to watch TAG for free does not equate to people being interested enough to buy toys or go and see an expensive show
I didn't say it wasn't a flop, I pointed out that saying 'nobody watched it' was a factual inaccuracy.

Old 8th October 2018, 09:25 PM
Moid

I've probably tried to "talk up" TAG as much as anyone on here has, but I'm at a total loss as to why anyone is signing deals with ITV for new toys, rides etc when they seem to show no signs of actually promoting the show in any meaningful way.

A toy launch (when? for this christmas?) would usually be linked to a programme actually being transmitted - as it stands the re-run of the first part of Series 3 have now finished and there is nothing to show when it's back on.

Yes, the Facebook site has over 26000 "followers" - however the constant question that is asked and never answered is "when it is coming back on?", and the "Thunderbirds.com" web site has had one "incoming transmisison" since 2016 - and that was about the showing of the original series on Shout.TV last weekend.

I can only presume that the real driver for ITV is now the overseas sales into markets that never had the original series (e.g China), and that is where any collateral toy release is actually coming from.

I still have a vain hope that they'll bring Series 3 to a meaningful conclusion to round the whole thing off - but at this rate no-one is even going to notice that it's back on.

After the mess that was "New Captain Scarlet" (the showing of it, not the actual series - which I think was well done) you'd hope that ITV would have raised it's game for this. Perhaps the mistake is assuming that they are focused on the UK market, when the real money is to be made from wider sales and constant repeats.

FAB_61

Edit:

Perhaps some stats on how many times this has been downloaded since it's recent launch would be interesting:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thun...?platform=ipad

Last edited by FAB_61; 8th October 2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 8th October 2018, 10:04 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
I've probably tried to "talk up" TAG as much as anyone on here has, but I'm at a total loss as to why anyone is signing deals with ITV for new toys, rides etc when they seem to show no signs of actually promoting the show in any meaningful way.

A toy launch (when? for this christmas?) would usually be linked to a programme actually being transmitted - as it stands the re-run of the first part of Series 3 have now finished and there is nothing to show when it's back on.

Yes, the Facebook site has over 26000 "followers" - however the constant question that is asked and never answered is "when it is coming back on?", and the "Thunderbirds.com" web site has had one "incoming transmisison" since 2016 - and that was about the showing of the original series on Shout.TV last weekend.

I can only presume that the real driver for ITV is now the overseas sales into markets that never had the original series (e.g China), and that is where any collateral toy release is actually coming from.

I still have a vain hope that they'll bring Series 3 to a meaningful conclusion to round the whole thing off - but at this rate no-one is even going to notice that it's back on.

After the mess that was "New Captain Scarlet" (the showing of it, not the actual series - which I think was well done) you'd hope that ITV would have raised it's game for this. Perhaps the mistake is assuming that they are focused on the UK market, when the real money is to be made from wider sales and constant repeats.

FAB_61

Edit:

Perhaps some stats on how many times this has been downloaded since it's recent launch would be interesting:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thun...?platform=ipad
I agree ITV have totally mishandled the scheduling and advertising of the series, but I've heard from someone who's seen a few of the yet-to-air Season 3 episodes that they've really upped the ante and I have no doubt we'll be getting a thrilling conclusion to tie up those nagging plot threads from previous seasons. 'Tis gonna be a blast

Old 9th October 2018, 07:30 PM
Spacehawk

ITVs mishandling of the show is nothing new. It happened all through Gerry's career, particularly in the 1970s with UFO and Space 1999!