Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go!

Notices

Old 21st January 2019, 12:54 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

Default New Toy line distribution?

https://www.toynews-online.biz/licen...re-go-toy-line

"ITV Studios Global Entertainment has named Bandai as the UK distributor for its new Thunderbirds Are Go toy line.

The product line will be produced by Hengxin Shambala Kids Cultural Industry Development, its master toy partner in China. Distribution will be managed by Bandai UK."

Is this cause for cautious optimism? Does this mean a whole new toy line, or just a change of who's handling the marketing strategy?
Old 21st January 2019, 02:11 PM
Moid

Quote:
Originally Posted by watanabe View Post
https://www.toynews-online.biz/licen...re-go-toy-line

"ITV Studios Global Entertainment has named Bandai as the UK distributor for its new Thunderbirds Are Go toy line.

The product line will be produced by Hengxin Shambala Kids Cultural Industry Development, its master toy partner in China. Distribution will be managed by Bandai UK."

Is this cause for cautious optimism? Does this mean a whole new toy line, or just a change of who's handling the marketing strategy?
There was some info a while back about the deal with Hengxin as a new manufacturer (to replace Vivid/Takara-Tomy) but no real info on what they were going to produce in terms of whether it was just the items that Vivid produced or various new things (perhaps a Supersize TB-1 etc).

Presumably something is going to show up at the Toy Fair this week - hopefully someone will be there to get some photos etc if there is........

FAB_61
Old 21st January 2019, 05:51 PM
Zarin

Trying not to get overexcited or set my expectations too high, but isn't it a bit odd to set up a whole new merch deal when you only have half a series left to air?

Not saying this means a Series 4 - it almost certainly doesn't - but it is very curious.

I understand that there's some countries where the show is still far behind at the moment, so perhaps that's a motivator. Either way, new merch is new merch and I can't believe they'd secure Bandai of all people is we were just going to see a couple of things and then nothing.

Considering I grew up with brand new Thunderbirds toys in the 90's, it really does seem like the franchise has a knack for 'posthumous' merchandise.
Old 21st January 2019, 06:09 PM
Moid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalWings View Post
Trying not to get overexcited or set my expectations too high, but isn't it a bit odd to set up a whole new merch deal when you only have half a series left to air?

Not saying this means a Series 4 - it almost certainly doesn't - but it is very curious.

I understand that there's some countries where the show is still far behind at the moment, so perhaps that's a motivator. Either way, new merch is new merch and I can't believe they'd secure Bandai of all people is we were just going to see a couple of things and then nothing.

Considering I grew up with brand new Thunderbirds toys in the 90's, it really does seem like the franchise has a knack for 'posthumous' merchandise.
I suspect this is more linked to having to sell things in countries that have not shown as much of the series yet. Sales in the UK are probably a side issue to some extent (though it will be nice to see what they've come up with)

Is there any info anywhere on which Series/Seasons have been shown where yet? (esp China, given where these are made)

FAB_61
Old 21st January 2019, 07:07 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalWings View Post

Not to split hairs or anything, but bear in mind there's slightly more than a half a season to go, with the remaining episodes airing for 17 weeks, plenty of time to maintain interest etc

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 21st January 2019, 11:46 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

What absolutely baffles (and saddens) me is that in 2015 nor since has there been a video game to accompany the series.
Even more than a new TV show, isn't Thunderbirds as an IP ripe for a decent current generation video game?

Even if you couldn't import the CG character/vehicles directly, you'd be able to make them screen accurate easily, and I can't see the voice cast being hard to get on board. It could have been the most authentic Anderson tie-in they ever did.

You do some management sim-lite antics in TB5.2 by getting mission details either by a full Q&A dialogue (see Mass Effect et. al.) session, getting as much intel as you can manage or simply as a video/text briefing, and assign the best Thunderbird to each Danger Zone.
I'm thinking of something similar to the recent X-Com games, where on a world map you have missions and then random events to deal with, which I think would translate well. For example, TB4.2 basically has an unlimited range now, but TB2.2 can get her there much faster, so do you do that and hope TB1.2 can hold the line before TB2.2 can return?
Once the Thunderbirds get there, you get to swap to them and have a reasonable amount of freedom in how you accomplish the rescue. People are trapped in a cave filling with water. Did you take TB4 to go in through a cave entrance, or did you use a Mole-Pod to drill down? Was it the right way to do it?
You also would get some stealth missions with Kayo/Shadow, and some chase missions with Parker/Penny/FAB1 (both of these would figure into the main story of tracking the Hood etc. but would not be too obtrusive to the main appeal of RUNNING INTERNATIONAL RESCUE.
Hopefully you could include some multiplayer missions that would fulfil the nerdgasm of piloting TB2 while someone else (friend, child or even grandchild) controls TB4 etc.

I mean, does that sound unreasonable? Or indeed, unfeasible?

I look forward to the new toy line, if that's what's coming, but other than some badly articulated action figures, I don't think Vivid did a bad job with the vehicles and their playability.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:22 AM
Zarin

Vivid's stuff was definitely very well done. The supersize TB2 is probably one of the most rock solid toys I've ever seen: build quality, screen accuracy, play functions, etc. - I would have loved to have been a kid with one of those.

As for a video game, I definitely agree. There's been a few mobile games, including one fairly recently I think, but a proper more in-depth game would be great.

That said, Thunderbirds doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to those. Rescuing rather than shooting seems to baffle most game developers.
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:51 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watanabe View Post
What absolutely baffles (and saddens) me is that in 2015 nor since has there been a video game to accompany the series.
Would it be fair to say that the target audience for the series is somewhat younger than the general video game player?
There's likely lots of kids who would love a game but I think a large percentage of game sales is to adults.
Not many kids can shell out 50 on a game unless its Xmas or birthday. Not sure what the current rate is for pocket money though
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:59 AM
The Snake

The Japanese have long been avid Anderson fans. Bandai, Imai, Aoshima are still producing kits from the original series, so just becausethe series has finished doesn't mean they will stop producing toys and kits. They don't seem to be tied to whether the series are being screened.

Keith
Old 27th January 2019, 12:13 AM
Cloudbase Doctor

https://youtu.be/uQnelJ8ASsE

Toy fair vid.

At least the TB2.2 looks nice.