Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > TV21 - Fanderson Convention 22nd to 24th October 2010

Notices

Old 28th May 2010, 12:05 PM
Spacehawk

Katie, is the picture you posted of the car park charges board, is that the hotel car park itself or is that another car park near by.

I would have naturally assumed that car parking charges for residents of the hotels own car park would not apply, or have I misunderstood you.

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/index.htm
Old 28th May 2010, 06:02 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
Katie, is the picture you posted of the car park charges board, is that the hotel car park itself or is that another car park near by.

I would have naturally assumed that car parking charges for residents of the hotels own car park would not apply, or have I misunderstood you.
Hi Tony,

That photo is of the pay and display car park opposite the hotel.

There is a charge of 5 for anyone if they park in the hotel carpark overnight.

Katie
Old 28th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Aquaphibian

So just to be clear Katie , are you saying that even if you are staying at the hotel you will STILL be charged for parking your car there ?
So if Tony B and I stay for 3 days say , it will cost us 15.00 on top of our hotel bill ?
Old 30th May 2010, 07:04 AM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post
So just to be clear Katie , are you saying that even if you are staying at the hotel you will STILL be charged for parking your car there ?
So if Tony B and I stay for 3 days say , it will cost us 15.00 on top of our hotel bill ?
Yes, there is a charge for parking at the hotel overnight. We have just confirmed the cost. It is cheaper than parking anywhere else and is in a car park with barriers and CCTV.

This is very common with city centre hotels now. In the past, the cost would have been included in the accommodation price so that everyone paid it and your accommodation fee would have been 5 more expensive. However with the hotel market being so competitive, the hotels have been trying to reduce costs wherever possible. One thing they have realised is that 50% of the people who stay in city centre hotels do not travel by car, so they are now only passing the cost onto the people who use the car parks.

Katie Bleathman
Fanderson Events Co-ordinator
Old 30th May 2010, 10:20 PM
Aquaphibian

Angry

Must be getting old or just simply naive but I find that shocking . That's the first time ever that I've been expected to pay for parking my car at a hotel that I'm staying at . That's just wrong , bury it in as many shades of grey as you like , that's just wrong .
Old 31st May 2010, 12:21 AM
Lazoon

Default By Comparison...

To put this in context, the Marriott just down the road from the convention hotel in central Bristol will charge you 11 per day as a hotel resident. The Ibis will expect you to pay to park in the railway station car park (far more than 5 but don't have the tariff to hand), the Future Inn will expect you to pay 16 in the shoppers car park - this is sadly now the norm. It's actually a long time since I stayed in a hotel that didn't charge for parking!

From experience London hotels are now charging 15-25 per day for residents, so unfortunately this does seem to be a sign of the times, at least for city centre hotels.
Old 31st May 2010, 06:00 AM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post
Must be getting old or just simply naive but I find that shocking . That's the first time ever that I've been expected to pay for parking my car at a hotel that I'm staying at . That's just wrong , bury it in as many shades of grey as you like , that's just wrong .
Also to put it into context for the people like myself who don't have a car, it is fairer as the charge is not included in the accommodation fee, so the people who don't have cars don't pay for the car park. This does enable the Hotel to reduce the accommodation costs.

The charge has always been there, but it has been hidden in the accommodation cost in the past. It is also a way of making sure that only hotel residents have cars in the car park overnight.

Graham and I often stay in city hotels for weekend breaks and this is common now. In fact very few new hotels have car parks and are expecting you to use shoppers car parks as Stuart says.

Katie