Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go!

Notices

Old 12th November 2015, 07:55 AM
General Strond

Default Takara Tomy TB2 kit February 2016

After their Mole kit Takara Tomy are bringing out a kit of the new TB2 with TB4 in February. 24cm long (1/144 scale apparently) , about 26. It looks like a snap together toy rather than a proper kit. Odd.

http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-2/taka...9%9F%E6%A9%9F-
Old 12th November 2015, 10:11 AM
Alien

That looks very interesting - I like how the pod can be opened up. I wonder if the gap around TB2's cockpit means it can be opened up in a similar fashion? Or have the models just not been clipped together very well, haha?
I'll certainly keep an eye on this one.

Edit: after a wee bit of Google translation, it looks like TB2's cockpit can be viewed, TB4's arms are bits that are fitted (not folded away) and stickers and water decals are included.

Last edited by Arioch; 12th November 2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12th November 2015, 12:26 PM
House Keeper Culver Bay

Thunderbird 4 in the photos appears to be a little on the large side, but we will see when we get the finished product.

If the scale and size are correct that finally confirms the length of the new Thunderbird 2 as 34.56m and that makes the large Thunderbird 2 to be at HO scale - dioramas a-go-go!
Old 12th November 2015, 02:11 PM
General Strond

34.56m is 113ft. The classic TB2 is 250ft or 76.2m so TB2.2 is less than half the size. Crikey.

I've also wondered that as the new TB2.2 pods have a factory inside that create new pod vehicles why have more than 2 pods? One for TB4 and a second for the pod vehicle manufacturing facility. So why does the show display multiple pods in the TB2 hanger? Maybe I'm thinking too hard.

Nice to have a larger TB4 though. Can be used in the bath.

Last edited by yorkie; 12th November 2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12th November 2015, 08:50 PM
Zarin

Regarding the need for multiple pods, I always assumed each pod - sorry, module - contains different assortments of attachments for different rescue types.

Obviously there would be some crossover (I imagine multiple modules would have generic caterpillar track attachments, for example), but you could say have one module with attachments for mountain based rescue, and then say one for firefighting rescue (allowing the Firefly to be built, perhaps?)

While obviously the point of the new system - which personally I think is absolutely fantastic and something very true to the spirit of the original - is that they can have a whole assortment of attachments and components at their disposal from a single module, it would be impractical to cram every single piece of gear into a single unit, especially given TB2's - and therefore the module's - decreased size in TAG.

Makes you wonder if Module 4 contains underwater attachments for a pod vehicle in case TB4 is unavailable or two vehicles are required at once, or if there's one module designed specifically for the pod vehicle's space travel capabilities with an opening roof for upper atmosphere launch?

Stop me, I'm getting carried away now.
Old 13th November 2015, 01:07 PM
Supreme Commander

I took a tape measure to my Supersize Thunderbird 2.2 to compare the relative size of this new Takara model. I'd need to see the latter, but it seems a little small for my taste.

Orbitalwings I agree, esp Module 4. It does contain the same red drop open boxes on the starboard interior (replicated in the model pics) implying adaptations could be added to Thunderbird 4.2. Not enough to suggest the module carries a second sub though.

Re the multiple modules, the only distinction I can think of at the moment is environmental terrain. An ice / winter module, a desert module, a Tarmac / level ground / runway module, a water module (4 of course) a mountainous / high ground module and finally an in air / flight operations module. Purely random theory, but it could account for all six?

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 13th November 2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:07 AM
General Strond

More pics. The pod , sorry module looks quite good.

http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-2/taka...A9%9F-4800yen/
Old 23rd November 2015, 05:25 PM
Zarin

With a lick of paint it really does make the new design shine, but some of those dividing lines (particularly around TB2's removable cockpit roof and TB4's front end) still look worryingly large.

Hopefully something that can be fixed with careful construction?

Either way, the module interior is fantastic, and makes me wonder whether the supersize TB2 toy will see a future rerelease with a more detailed (and opening?) module that mirrors this model kit.

Something else I was picturing though - a supersize TB4 with scaled up module that works as a playset for the larger figures. TB4 and TBS are small enough that replicas could be made that fit the figures, and a module with pod vehicle construction parts would be every kid's - both big and small - dream.
Old 23rd November 2015, 05:46 PM
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalWings View Post
. (Snippage)

Either way, the module interior is fantastic, and makes me wonder whether the supersize TB2 toy will see a future rerelease with a more detailed (and opening?) module that mirrors this model kit.

Something else I was picturing though - a supersize TB4 with scaled up module that works as a playset for the larger figures. TB4 and TBS are small enough that replicas could be made that fit the figures, and a module with pod vehicle construction parts would be every kid's - both big and small - dream.

Re the modules Wings, that is my very suspicion I have with the illustration of the pod kit module that folds open, and the remote control Molepod with module sets.
If they both use the same module mould as the module 4 already supplied with the Supersize Thunderbird 2.2, then they could be made to be compatible, expanding both the collectables and play options for Thunderbird 2.2.

As to action figure scaled playsets of Thunderbird 4.2 and Thunderbird S, don't forget another exciting option. The Creighton-Ward limousine! They would prob be quite expensive due to their size and material content though.

It's been mentioned by others, but I too would love Action Man scaled figures. The brothers could be done in a collector's window box like the James Bond action man figures of the nineties. Each with their signature piece of equipment, such as Virgil's exoskeleton arms, the Dive Jet for Gordon and the Space Surf Board / EVA thruster for Alan. Even Brains with Max!

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 23rd November 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 23rd November 2015, 07:21 PM
Zarin

Am definitely anticipating versions of the main characters with extra gear, whether in the current scale or larger, marketed as 'Deluxe' versions or something.

Scott - Grapple Equipment and/or Jetpack
Virgil - Rescue Exoskeleton
Alan - Space Board
Gordon - Dive Jet (storable in a larger TB4 if scales match?)
John - EOS maybe?
Kayo - Halo Drop Wings
Brains - MAX

What is it about Anderson related media that us into armchair toy designers?