Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go!

Notices

Old 21st April 2018, 01:22 AM
Mexican Bandit

Default TAG Live Experiences

Hi,
This website looks interesting.
http://kidscreen.com/2018/04/20/itv-...e-experiences/
If it is true, it would be strange considering it looks like this Season will be the last.
Old 21st April 2018, 11:53 AM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7malligk View Post
Hi,
This website looks interesting.
http://kidscreen.com/2018/04/20/itv-...e-experiences/
If it is true, it would be strange considering it looks like this Season will be the last.
Interesting, and (as you note) a bit odd if this is the last series.

Also odd are the number of things that have already appeared in this series which would make for some extra toy/models etc: Aside from all the Chaos Crew stuff there has been the TB-1 "sky pod", the green pod seen last week and the red "space pod" this week.

Perhaps ITV is waiting to see if the changes this series increase the interest again (and there is the issue of what's happening with the wider sales of the series) to see if it's worth:

a) commissioning another series
b) trying to get the merchandising going again.

As it stands they now have enough episodes for another re-run to take quite a while, which would allow time for a Series 4 to be produced.

To pinch a quote from something else "Anything can happen in the next half hour!" - but I suspect if anything is going to happen it will take a lot longer than that.

FAB_61
Old 21st April 2018, 03:32 PM
Skybase Engineer

The ITV official response is: - "At the moment there are no details available regarding ITV's decision to acquire a further series of the above programme."
Old 21st April 2018, 04:08 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Everatt View Post
The ITV official response is: - "At the moment there are no details available regarding ITV's decision to acquire a further series of the above programme."
If that's a direct quote then it's potentially a bit misleading, as I would expect it (if a decision has not been made either way) to say:-

"At the moment there are no details available on whether ITV will decide to acquire a further series of the above programme" (or a slightly shorter version of that, as it doesn't need the "decide to" in the middle)

As written it implies there are no details they can release on the "decision to aquire a further series", which would imply they have already made a decision and don't want to say what it is.

Last edited by FAB_61; 21st April 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 21st April 2018, 05:39 PM
Skybase Engineer

It's a direct quote to an email I sent this morning. That's why I put it in quotation marks...
Old 21st April 2018, 05:45 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Everatt View Post
It's a direct quote to an email I sent this morning. That's why I put it in quotation marks...
Hi Bill,

Sorry, didn't mean to imply what you'd put wasn't accurate - just that it seemed a potentially odd way for ITV to express the current position.

Regards

FAB_61
Old 21st April 2018, 05:56 PM
Skybase Engineer

I agree its an odd answer, and its probably some sort of double speak.
Old 21st April 2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

As ITV own Thunderbirds anyway why would they need to "acquire" another series?
It would only get made with their permission and presumably they own all the episodes too.
So it sounds like a lacky from very low in the food chain and who doesn't really know anything is trying to make things sound better than a simple "I don't know"
Old 21st April 2018, 09:06 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinspector View Post
As ITV own Thunderbirds anyway why would they need to "acquire" another series?
It would only get made with their permission and presumably they own all the episodes too.
So it sounds like a lacky from very low in the food chain and who doesn't really know anything is trying to make things sound better than a simple "I don't know"
I suspect they just mean "acquire" in the sense of placing an order with Pukeko Pictures to make another series.

In that respect I note that Pukeko's web site says that Series 3 is still in production, so it's not clear they'd need to be definite about 4 yet (given the late news on just about everything else - like transmission dates etc)

Last edited by FAB_61; 21st April 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 22nd April 2018, 12:14 PM
Supreme Commander

Oh For Pete's Sake!

First of all. There are interactive rides for the likes of Jaws, Back To The Future and Star Trek Borg experience and Wallace and Gromit amongst others. There is ample proof that a tie in event element or interactive park rides like this can continue and do good business long after the TV series / films that spawned it has completed and concluded - as long as said tie in makes money. Look at The Harry Potter Experience! The films finished almost a decade ago. The Experience is still doing big business. This new deal is simply ITV spreading their corporate tentacles as fast as they can to keep the money coming in. - The lifespan of the series does not come into the equation.
I note the article has the sexist attitude that all Things Thunderbird is still a boys thing from a profit perspective. Urgh.

ITV. The language they use is Corporate speak. Nothing more or less. Waffly jargon that only politicians and PR types prattle at everyone.
Either ITV have decided there will be a season 4, or they haven't. Either way they are not going to say to us the everyday audience!
If they Do disclose something, it will have a big media industry hoo-hah of some sort, praising the series to the rafters. Purely for other corporate companies to try to draw in more partners for more business.
If it doesn't continue, we won't know until its quietly mentioned somewhere that the series was cancelled. Prob by one of the writers, or a member of the cast when being interviewed for their next project. - That is how these things work.

ITV official comment - "At the moment there are no details available regarding ITV's decision to acquire a further series of the above programme."

TB2 - Translation: "We are not saying if we have or will request more episodes of this series from Pukeko or not."

Never expect ITV to give a straight answer, or volunteer information. Setting aside it would kill potential PR opportunities, it goes completely against their default (and safe) policy of obfuscating and being as clear as mud.
- It was a small miracle they confirmed Season 2's Inferno has been withheld.

Thunderbirds has continued to cause a media and merchandising storm FIFTY YEARS after to was created and broadcast. ITV will always keep their cards to their chest by all means possible to sustain the money coming in from TAG-15 as well. Even though its clear they don't understand the full scope of the format's potential.

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 22nd April 2018 at 12:19 PM.