Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 19th November 2016, 08:55 AM
Spacehawk

Default Fab 85

...arrived on the doormat this morning, which was a nice surprise.

And we haven't even had any "Where's Fab 85?" comments yet!

Old 19th November 2016, 10:25 AM
Spacehawk

Blimey! What a surprise!!

Life has a way of springing these upon you and balancing things out.

Got a bit of a headache this morning (self inflicted) and a ringing in my left ear (tonight I shall be standing on the OTHER side of Rock City!).

So... what a nice surprise to be woken up by the sound of FAB 85 hitting the door mat! And I was thinking "They'll never get another one out before Christmas!" Oh ye of little faith! Mike and the gang must have been working at light speed! Only seems like five minutes since FAB 84.

Anyway, having only managed a cursory glance through it, I see that there is a lot of Thunderbirds are Go coverage - which may please some less than others but understandable considering that it's just returned to our screens. Apparently. Much more exciting was the sneak preview of Chris Bentley's revised UFO book! Wow, this looks awesome - and mine is already on order from Amazon. I shall be at the launch event on November 25th, which also just happens to be my birthday, so I shall see you down there, as someone once said. Possibly wearing my 2016 Fanderson badge which, by a wonderful 'coincidence', features a photo of a UFO.

What a year it's been and it ain't over yet!!!

OK, where's the Alka Seltzer...
Old 19th November 2016, 11:48 AM
Banned

I echo those sentiments. Doesn't seem very long since the last issue so this was a real surprise.
As ever the Fanderson team put together a very interesting looking read
Old 19th November 2016, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
Anyway, having only managed a cursory glance through it, I see that there is a lot of Thunderbirds are Go coverage - which may please some less than others but understandable considering that it's just returned to our screens.
I had a quick browse and the TAG coverage I spotted looked like being about the comic with 6 pages. Hope there's no more than that

Edit - closer look shows 12 pages on TAG but to make matters worse the issue itself has 12 pages less than the previous issue. What's going on there?

The UFO book coverage says if you attend the signing you'll get 5 discount on the book but as the RRP is 29.99 does that really mean that attendees will be paying 24.99 for it when the Amazon price is 6.99.
Why on earth is it so cheap on Amazon anyway?

Last edited by phelings; 19th November 2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 19th November 2016, 12:22 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Now.... first off I'm not a member, so perhaps I shouldn't be commenting on this (and I supect what I'm about to say will get dismissed as rubbish by some poeple) but:

Like it or not TAG exists and it seems to be doing well and attracting a fan base. I grew up with all the original Anderson shows and it's clearly not the same, but I'm content to enjoy it for what it is. It is however linked to the original - and even if there is some dispute about whether Gerry ever really approved it going ahead, it was clearly supported at least to some degree by Sylvia given that she appeared in one episode.

The point I'm getting to is that the original fans, like me, are getting older, and as we move forward, sadly, fewer of us will survive - and I would suggest that Fanderson needs to engage more with the fans (or perhaps their parents in some cases) that are emerging as a result of TAG and use that to bring them into the wider "Anderson Universe" - otherwise it too will dwindle away.

I'd therefore suggest that having some regular TAG content in the magazine would help in that respect - rather than it being regarded as an unwanted annoyance.

FAB_61

Last edited by FAB_61; 19th November 2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 19th November 2016, 01:45 PM
Zarin

Received FAB 85 today, along with the UFO close up book. Which makes a nice companion alongside the Blu Ray!

Last edited by jmessy007; 19th November 2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 19th November 2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
Now.... first off I'm not a member, so perhaps I shouldn't be commenting on this (and I supect what I'm about to say will get dismissed as rubbish by some poeple) but:

Like it or not TAG exists and it seems to be doing well and attracting a fan base. I grew up with all the original Anderson shows and it's clearly not the same, but I'm content to enjoy it for what it is. It is however linked to the original - and even if there is some dispute about whether Gerry ever really approved it going ahead, it was clearly supported at least to some degree by Sylvia given that she appeared in one episode.

The point I'm getting to is that the original fans, like me, are getting older, and as we move forward, sadly, fewer of us will survive - and I would suggest that Fanderson needs to engage more with the fans (or perhaps their parents in some cases) that are emerging as a result of TAG and use that to bring them into the wider "Anderson Universe" - otherwise it too will dwindle away.

I'd therefore suggest that having some regular TAG content in the magazine would help in that respect - rather than it being regarded as an unwanted annoyance.

FAB_61
You may be right but there are many of us who joined Fanderson to read about Gerry Anderson projects and products. Not those simply inspired by his work so we feel that a show where he made zero contribution has no place in the magazine but as there seems to be a number of fans who do like it I think we've accepted that some want to read about it. As ever , membership renewals will show how many people think there is too much TAG coverage and as pointed out earlier it's return to tv was always going to mean some coverage.
As long as it doesn't take up too much space.
The loss of 12 pages ( in addition to the 12 pages on TAG) is more of a concern this issue though
Old 19th November 2016, 02:21 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
You may be right but there are many of us who joined Fanderson to read about Gerry Anderson projects and products. Not those simply inspired by his work so we feel that a show where he made zero contribution has no place in the magazine but as there seems to be a number of fans who do like it I think we've accepted that some want to read about it. As ever , membership renewals will show how many people think there is too much TAG coverage and as pointed out earlier it's return to tv was always going to mean some coverage.
As long as it doesn't take up too much space.
The loss of 12 pages ( in addition to the 12 pages on TAG) is more of a concern this issue though
Hi Phelings,

I'd agree - there would need to be a balance. Clearly if TAG "took over" a large part of the magazine on a regular basis there'd be quite a few people that wouldn't be interested in it - but perhaps if there was an "expectation" (perhaps too strong a word) that there would be some regular coverage it might encourage a few other people to join.

What I'm not sighted on is whether there is any interaction between Fanderson and ITV would provide for any coverage of more of the background to the series (e.g what's being done with models and what with CGI etc), and things that the general DC Thomson "comic" is clearly not going to address.

FAB_61

Last edited by FAB_61; 19th November 2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 19th November 2016, 02:29 PM
Banned

I don't know about anyone else but a lot of my interest (as I'm 53) in the vintage Anderson shows is nostalgia so watching some of them purely at face value these days is hard going.
With it being a current show and no direct Anderson involvement my interest in it is at the same level as I have in something like Peppa Pig or Wallykazam and other shows my grandkids like.
I did try to like it and get into it from episode 1 but unfortunately I found it as interesting as Paw Patrol - a show that (apart from the title) seems as much inspired by Thunderbirds as TAG

The feature on the comic looks interesting though as a look at how things might have changed since the last batch of Anderson inspired comics came out in the 90's. I have pretty much a full run of those and on ebay they seem criminally undervalued

Last edited by phelings; 19th November 2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 19th November 2016, 03:14 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
...... With it being a current show and no direct Anderson involvement my interest in it is at the same level as I have in something like Peppa Pig or Wallykazam and other shows my grandkids like.......
I'd agree that there has to be a dividing line between the things that Gerry was directly involved with and things that clearly have no relevance - in that sense I tend to view TAG as a bit of a edge case, but close enough to get some attention. I accept though that others take the view that it's sufficiently different etc to be outside that line. I suppose the real question is where does Fanderson as a whole want to draw the line in terms of something that gets coverage in the magazine.

The "Peppa Pig" comment is perhaps an interesting one from a "trivia" point of view though - David Graham provides the voice for Grandpa Pig - so perhaps it would warrant a mention in any article about his work on the Anderson shows and what he's done since (inc TAG of course)....

Regards

FAB_61