Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 13th November 2016, 10:12 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder7uk View Post
The best I've ever read, for example, that comes closest to the realisation of UFO in written form, are those stories in the 1971 UFO annual.It gave me,and still does, a feeling of that television world of UFO.

Agreed. The stories in the UFO Annual were intelligent and true to the spirit of the show and surprisingly 'in character', particularly with regard to how Straker was portrayed.

Much better than 'Robert Miall's novelisations, which read as though he'd barely seen an episode (and in fairness maybe he hadn't!)
Old 14th November 2016, 01:35 AM
Zarin

"my copy is ment to be comeing today from amazon .
Old 14th November 2016, 11:50 AM
Banned

Unusually early delivery from Amazon but its here.
First impressions - wow. While the book paper quality is not quite as good as The Persuaders glossy paper its still very nice and much better than the paper used for other books like The Prisoner. There's some nice glossy pages used for a nice centre section of photos including colour ones.
Quick browse and its fair to say that not so many years ago we would have been happy to pay 20+ for a book this size on its own.

Not looked at the discs yet but only 2 commentaries listed.
Instant dislike to the way the discs are stored. At first glance it looks like a normal digipak but the way the discs are stored makes it a challenge to get the discs out and put them back in. I have this type of case on some other titles and its definitely the worst of its kind currently in use. Easy to damage the discs and the case.

I'm sure the discs themselves will make up for it - will look at those later.
Old 14th November 2016, 12:31 PM
Skybase Engineer

Arrived by TNT courier :-)

Dan
Old 14th November 2016, 04:50 PM
Banned

Its Region B locked but the MENU trick should allow Region A Panasonic devices to play it.
Main priority for a Bluray release is the picture quality and as is customary for Network UFO lives up to expectations with incredible quality images.
I like my colour bright but the Century 21 logo appears a little over blown which may annoy some people.
Quick look at Flight Path and while it looks like some work has been done to correct the day for night grading it still does not look as I think it should and the sunshine is way too obvious for what are supposed to be night time scenes.
The 16:9 cockup in Ordeal has been corrected.

As expected the 5.1 mix is quite dreadful. Have these mixers never heard of subtlety? The opening theme does not sound right when there is more going on in the rear speakers than in the front.
As with 1999 Year 2 mono is great and fortunately the disc defaults to mono.

Quick look at the bonus features and this is where Network blow the rest of the companies like Acorn , Simply etc to smithereens.
Only had a brief scan but the prospect of a brand new 89 minute documentary on UFO in HD is mouth watering and is something I will need to watch tomorrow.
The Women of UFO is 30 minutes and in HD too. Again only a quick scan but a new documentary featuring new onscreen interviews with Wanda Ventham, Jane Merrow, Ayshea Brough and Deborah Grant has to be worth anyones money.
US buyers should note these 2 documentaries are 50hz.

I will dig into this tomorrow but despite the disappointing 5.1 sound and the fiddly disc storage this really is an excellent purchase. Only the extra commentaries were needed to make it the absolute final word on the show.

Well done Network
Old 14th November 2016, 05:15 PM
Spacehawk

Glad initial reports are favourable.

As usual, Network have disappointed me by not delivering my set on the day of release, which I suspect means that the 'shipped' email last week was something of a lie. But of course, that doesn't mean that other people won't have received their sets today from them.

I should have learned from previous experience with them - still, that's very definitely now my last ever order direct with Network.
Old 14th November 2016, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
Glad initial reports are favourable.

As usual, Network have disappointed me by not delivering my set on the day of release, which I suspect means that the 'shipped' email last week was something of a lie. But of course, that doesn't mean that other people won't have received their sets today from them.

I should have learned from previous experience with them - still, that's very definitely now my last ever order direct with Network.
And they charged 3.60 for postage on top of the already more expensive price which works out more than 10 dearer than most HMV and Amazon orders
I can never understand why going to the source doesn't bring the cheapest price and the earliest delivery. Both should be something you get for cutting out the middle man
Old 14th November 2016, 08:40 PM
Skybase Engineer

I've got to hand it to Network, The picture is superb, the "tweaking" of ITV's negative scans are very impressive.

Inwardly, I was expecting to be slightly dissapointed, but.... Wow.

Dan
Old 14th November 2016, 09:21 PM
SID

Only watched one episode so far but the picture quality is seriously impressive. I don't really mind the case design, even if it isn't the most practical way of removing discs. Also had a quick look through the book and it seems that, as expected, it's of the same fantastic quality that Andrew's other books for Network releases have been.
Old 15th November 2016, 02:31 AM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
As usual, Network have disappointed me by not delivering my set on the day of release, which I suspect means that the 'shipped' email last week was something of a lie.
Maybe the "shipped" mail was supposed to mean that the poster shipped? :-) I also got a "shipped" email on Friday, but then they sent me tracking information on Monday that demonstrated that it hadn't gone out until Monday.