Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #391  
Old 18th November 2016, 06:06 PM
marcmartin's Avatar
marcmartin marcmartin is offline
Griselda
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: America (west coast)
Posts: 135
Default

I guess I need to watch more episodes... so far I've tried to watch TIMELASH, but found it unwatchable due to the excessive noise reduction and blown highlights. If they reduced the noise anymore, it'd look like an animated cartoon.

But my point of reference is not the old DVDs, it's the previous Blu-rays, which don't have any grain reduction or blown highlights. Or that darkening on the bottom of the picture.

Last edited by marcmartin; 18th November 2016 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 18th November 2016, 07:29 PM
Boxy Boxy is offline
Skybase Engineer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmartin View Post
I guess I need to watch more episodes... so far I've tried to watch TIMELASH, but found it unwatchable due to the excessive noise reduction and blown highlights. If they reduced the noise anymore, it'd look like an animated cartoon.

But my point of reference is not the old DVDs, it's the previous Blu-rays, which don't have any grain reduction or blown highlights. Or that darkening on the bottom of the picture.
Fascinating observation Marc, I find the grain mangagement on a par with other Blu-Ray Anderson releases, I loved TIMELASH watching up close - I guess it's a matter of personal taste, I'm enjoying hearing everyone's comments regarding the remastering...

My personal idea of overdoing the grain / noise reduction are the James Bond Blur-rays of the Remastered series from a few years ago. So much noise reduction that the film looks blurred and out of focus. A Travesty.

The Network UFO set has "the film look" to the pucture...

some of the Remastered James Bond Blu-Rays look like upscaled plasticky-looking NTSC (On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I was looking at you!).

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited by Boxy; 18th November 2016 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 18th November 2016, 08:53 PM
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,601
Default

I don't think I've watched them all even after this time but I've seen a lot of the Bond Blurays and I found them to be mostly excellent.
OHMSS was fine although the surround remix was one of the remixes that disappointed.
As for blurry- have you watched Dr No? The crisp sharpness in that movie is startling and presents the movie in detail as never seen before.
They did seem to take more trouble with certain films including the first 3 which all look incredible.
I don't recall problems with any of the others I've watched but I can't honestly remember which ones I last saw on Bluray or which ones were dvd but since the set came out 4 years ago I've seen moans about the windowboxed credits on some, incorrect framing on others, colour grading on others but never that they are blurry.
They are all universally improvements on the dvd's with errors that were present on the UE dvds corrected for the Blurays

Last edited by phelings; 18th November 2016 at 08:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 18th November 2016, 11:07 PM
Boxy Boxy is offline
Skybase Engineer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I don't think I've watched them all even after this time but I've seen a lot of the Bond Blurays and I found them to be mostly excellent.
OHMSS was fine although the surround remix was one of the remixes that disappointed.
As for blurry- have you watched Dr No? The crisp sharpness in that movie is startling and presents the movie in detail as never seen before.
They did seem to take more trouble with certain films including the first 3 which all look incredible.
I don't recall problems with any of the others I've watched but I can't honestly remember which ones I last saw on Bluray or which ones were dvd but since the set came out 4 years ago I've seen moans about the windowboxed credits on some, incorrect framing on others, colour grading on others but never that they are blurry.
They are all universally improvements on the dvd's with errors that were present on the UE dvds corrected for the Blurays

I feel different, but I'm not "trashing" your personal preference!

I prefer what I prefer, and there we are ;-)

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 18th November 2016, 11:10 PM
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
I feel different, but I'm not "trashing" your personal preference!

I prefer what I prefer, and there we are ;-)

Dan
I'm not sure its a case of preference. Nobody likes sub standard images.
You said (some of )the 007 Blurays are blurry. They're not. In fact if we're looking at softer images as being blurry then the UFO blurays are certainly softer and lacking in pin sharp detail than the 007 Blurays I've seen.
You said they were "blurred and out of focus" which is quite a dig at a set for which there have been many digs but not seen that one before.
Along with "plasticky looking NTSC" it sounds like you might need to adjust some settings on your display. Maybe the preset "frame creation" or "real motion" or other such nonsense that manufacturers needlessly add to their sets to try and make film look like video were switched on. They do seem to be supplied with these picture settings defaulted to on.

The one and only time they are of any use is when viewing telerecordings of material originally shot on tape where they do the Vidfiring for us.

Last edited by phelings; 18th November 2016 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 18th November 2016, 11:21 PM
Boxy Boxy is offline
Skybase Engineer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I'm not sure its a case of preference. Nobody likes sub standard images.
You said (some of )the 007 Blurays are blurry. They're not. In fact if we're looking at softer images as being blurry then the UFO blurays are certainly softer and lacking in pin sharp detail than the 007 Blurays I've seen.
You said they were "blurred and out of focus" which is quite a dig at a set for which there have been many digs but not seen that one before.
That's how I feel. That's how I percieve the product, That's what I've said. I'm expressing a different opinion, I'm not saying that I am a superior font of knowledge, I'm discussing my own individual impression of the presentation.

You are correct justified and free to express an opinion, as I am too.

Diffrent strokes for different folks, I'm not pooh-poohing you, I'm just expressing a different opinion, right or wrong, It's all personal taste.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 18th November 2016, 11:24 PM
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
That's how I feel. That's how I percieve the product, That's what I've said. I'm expressing a different opinion, I'm not saying that I am a superior font of knowledge, I'm discussing my own individual impression of the presentation.

You are correct justified and free to express an opinion, as I am too.

Diffrent strokes for different folks, I'm not pooh-poohing you, I'm just expressing a different opinion, right or wrong, It's all personal taste.

Dan
Ok fair enough.
But I hope you don't mind me mentioning that as it's not a view I've seen before and one that makes a sweeping negative point about an excellent boxset that it shouldn't deter people from going for the boxset.
Apart from minor niggles about the remixes and the framing the set did get a generally positive reaction.

Your extreme comments about OHMSS make me genuinely wonder if the processing trickery of the display might have a hand in it. Those frame creation / smooth motion gimmicks do give a nasty video effect to everything

Last edited by phelings; 18th November 2016 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 18th November 2016, 11:40 PM
Martin Grant Martin Grant is offline
Too Tall Tim Johnson
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I'm guessing they're sick and tired of the complaints from so many armchair "experts".
You should know, phelings. You're one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 18th November 2016, 11:54 PM
marcmartin's Avatar
marcmartin marcmartin is offline
Griselda
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: America (west coast)
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
Your extreme comments about OHMSS make me genuinely wonder if the processing trickery of the display might have a hand in it. Those frame creation / smooth motion gimmicks do give a nasty video effect to everything
I've noticed that plastic-y video effect on the new Network UFO Blu-rays, even on my computer monitor that has no gimmics and has been calibrated with a hardware color calibrator. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 19th November 2016, 12:35 AM
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Grant View Post
You should know, phelings. You're one of them.
Wow - we waited 6 months for you to post again and you return with something as informed and worthwhile as usual? As the rubbish you were spouting about Airwolf back in May has been proven to be the absolute drivel most of us knew it was at the time I think your views on anything can safely be ignored. I would have thought you too embarrassed to return.
Try a longer holiday next time. 28 posts in 5 years is far too much.


As far as I'm aware I've not complained about the UFO Blurays and unlike most of the whingers I actually have purchased them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmartin View Post
I've noticed that plastic-y video effect on the new Network UFO Blu-rays, even on my computer monitor that has no gimmics and has been calibrated with a hardware color calibrator. :-)
And yet the other guy says the UFO images are less plasticky than the 007 Blurays
But I know what you mean - they are certainly less detailed than The Persuaders or The Prisoner

Last edited by phelings; 19th November 2016 at 12:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Fanderson - The Official Gerry Anderson Appreciation Society is a non-profit making organisation endorsed by Anderson
Entertainment Ltd., The Indestructible Production Company Ltd., ITV Global Entertainment and ITC Entertainment Group Ltd.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.