Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go Episode Reviews > Thunderbirds Are Go! - Series 3 - Episode Reviews

Notices

Old 26th March 2018, 02:00 PM
Battlehawk

Default TAG Season 3 - General Discussion

Here we go again!

Initial thoughts, feelings comments, speculation?
This is the thread for all of those.....

Season 3 of Thunderbirds Are Go will begin on Saturday 31st March, on ITV1 and CITV at 8.30am.
NOTE: There is no afternoon transmission for this episode on this day.

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 27th March 2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 26th March 2018, 07:27 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Well..........

After the less than impressive end to the last series I'm not sure where all this is going.

The whole idea of the "Chaos Crew" seems to be risking the whole "International Rescue" idea - namely "rescues" not dealing with another mess caused by yet another set of the Hoods henchmen.

Are we actually going to find out more about the Mechanic - the series write up seems to indicate he's still in it to some degree, but if there is an underlying purpose to the character it was pretty well hidden/forgotten about in Series 2.

There is also the tease in the series summary that this may all be building to some sort of grand finale - the rescue of Jeff perhaps?

Which gets into the whole question of whether this is going to be the final series - if there is another in producition it's been kept very quiet, and given the lead times that have been talked about it would end up with there being quite a gap.

Is the GDF actually going to do something? What's the idea behind their "rescue robots" that seem to be going to appear?

Not sure about the "guest list" for this series, but some of the character names clearly have some "history" - are they just being used for effect or is there some sort of new version of "End of the Road" and a reference to Zero-X in there?

I mentioned in another post the "tension" that I've always felt was there in the way TAG has been delat with - the "lets try and capture the idea of the original" vs " we need a villain/idiot of the week" (because that is what kids TV seems to revolve around now).

If they can pull off a "rescue of Jeff" story arc then perhaps I'll feel the whole thing has redemed itself - if it's turned in to "Chaos Crew" disaster of the week then probably not.

FAB_61
Old 29th March 2018, 08:16 AM
Skybase Engineer

Rob Hoegee (head writer) has said he feels like S3 is a vast improvement on his end over the last 2 seasons, with more serialised story telling and two parters. Seems like it will indeed be building to something. Rob's also said that the Mechanic still has a role to play, and that his secret does come out.

I'm feeling like TAG hasn't been renewed simply because they've ended the show with S3 ending on Jeff's rescue/reveal. If done right that'll be really cool, but they've blown chances like this before...

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.
Old 31st March 2018, 09:52 AM
Commissioner Simmonds

I've been thinking about the "GDF R.O.BOTS" and the idea of them doing "rescues" and I'm wondering if they've picked up on a story that I seem to remember was in the old comics when the orig series was on (and my aged brain might be wrong here), but:

I seem to recall a story where International Recue were essentially put out of business by the U.N. setting up a massive rescue service - problem was it was all a plot by The Hood to have all the tech available to commit whatever crimes he wanted.

[am I really remembering that correctly?]

Seems the end of Ep1 was leading up to the R.O.BOTS being hacked by Havoc - which would open up the same possibility of them being used by The Hood for something.

FAB_61
Old 7th May 2018, 02:30 PM
Battlehawk

I am beginning to see a pattern develop. Standard episode one week, C-C.R.A.P. Episode the next on an alternatung basis.
If that is the case, Season 3 will be a long season for the wrong reasons!

Saturdays episode did have a bit more continuity to it again, and the new new colour coded pod vehices seem a bit more detailed than before? This detail is interesting,but there is no active toy tie in, I can't fathom the motive, unless ITV know something they are not telling us.

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 7th May 2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 7th May 2018, 08:14 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
I am beginning to see a pattern develop. Standard episode one week, C-C.R.A.P. Episode the next on an alternatung basis.
If that is the case, Season 3 will be a long season for the wrong reasons!

Saturdays episode did have a bit more continuity to it again, and the new new colour coded pod vehices seem a bit more detailed than before? This detail is interesting,but there is no active toy tie in, I can't fathom the motive, unless ITV know something they are not telling us.
Have to agree that it's all a bit odd - it's almost as if the series is trying to satisy two conflicting briefs "Make some changes (i.e. introduce the Chaos Crew) because the formats not working" vs "Get a decent 'Thunderbirds' arc going" (which was certainly hinted at in the overall series synopsis that was put out - though when the "building story towards a climatic final mission" is actually going get going is a good question.

All the changes to the "pods" and enhancements to the some of the main vehicles (e.g. solar sails on TB-3, plus the longer range drilling nose on TB-3 compared to the original one that only seemed to be some sort of anchoring device) would (in any normal situation) also seem to link to a second round of toys etc - but where from?

What I'm wondering is whether we have a particular view on what is going on based on feedback and visibility of what is happening in the UK (plus other "initial launch" countries like New Zealand, Australia, and Japan) - and not really seeing what has happened on the wider market (given the stuff about sales to China - and a "China theme park" ride that was mentioned on the Pukeko web-site) - it may be that ITV are looking to marketing (inc toys) opportunities in those markets rather than the UK etc.

The annoying thing with TAG is that when it's good I feel it really stands up as good companion to the original series (accepting the differences etc), but too often it's very poor and virtually indistinguishable from any other current programme aimed at the "under 12's".

If this is the last series then I hope they can bring it to a proper conclusion and not just let it taper off to the end and die.

FAB_61
Old 8th May 2018, 03:35 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

I see the first teaser images for "Rally Raid" are up on the Thunderbirds page.

Can they really not come up with a better idea for a racing driver than someone that looks suspicously like Lewis Hamilton but is called Jensen (Button) (James) Hunt...........

(ok, so they changed "Jenson" to "Jensen" to presumably avoid any direct compliants)

That plus the "Chaos Crew" - what can possibly go wrong.........

FAB_61
Old 9th May 2018, 01:21 PM
Zarin

Got to follow that Season 3 pattern - we got a decent episode in 'Life Signs', so now we must suffer...
Old 14th May 2018, 07:08 PM
Battlehawk

Just posted my review for Rally Raid. Oh, that was painful.

Is it me, or are the episodes going through a dangerously generic phase? - I realised as I finished the review that out of seven episodes, only Night and Day and Lifesigns - both offworld stories - have stuck in my head. The others are worryingly generic and forgettable? As poor as the writing in Season 1 could be, there were episodes that had some original and engaging ideas put forward. its beginning to feel like they just aren't bothering any more.

There also seems to have been a distinct lack of miniatures too, not counting standing locations such as the Island and Creighton Manor, or stock footage of The GDF Monolith Building and The Martian Colony.

What does everyone else think?
Old 14th May 2018, 08:01 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
Just posted my review for Rally Raid. Oh, that was painful.

Is it me, or are the episodes going through a dangerously generic phase? - I realised as I finished the review that out of seven episodes, only Night and Day and Lifesigns - both offworld stories - have stuck in my head. The others are worryingly generic and forgettable? As poor as the writing in Season 1 could be, there were episodes that had some original and engaging ideas put forward. its beginning to feel like they just aren't bothering any more.

There also seems to have been a distinct lack of miniatures too, not counting standing locations such as the Island and Creighton Manor, or stock footage of The GDF Monolith Building and The Martian Colony.

What does everyone else think?
Taking this in reverse order:

Must admit I'm also puzzled by the lack of miniatures so far in this series - and next week is another space based story by the sound of it - I'm wondering if it's down to production sequencing: By doing largely all CGI episides first it allows more time for Weta to get the backdrop and miniatures/"bigatures" for later episodes sorted out, and then for the CGI elements to be integrated with them. Or is that just a vain hope that there's something better coming later in the series?

I've not done a review of "Rally Raid" yet, partly as it's so difficult to work out what to review - other than the characters it seems like a "stock story" that could have been done in any number of series (and I made the same point about one of the earlier episodes).

Still no sign of the "building story arc" that was teased before the series was launched, and the trend that started a while back of only having one or two of the core characters in each episode seems to be continuing (with no sign of "Grandma" at all this series - unless I blinked and missed her).

FAB_61