Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Ebay The Unexpected

Notices

Old 29th July 2018, 02:40 AM
General Strond

Default One ebay user, 400+ copies of TB65 sold

I happened across this tweet:
https://twitter.com/Thunderbirds65/s...69239686418433

Quote:
We're innundated with messages about where to buy the new episodes of Thunderbirds. Unfortunately, there is no current release and this is out of our hands. Some backers are selling their copies on eBay which you can find here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123277894914
Following that link, you find that user only has two items for sale - TB65 on DVD, and TB65 on Blu Ray. Looking over their feedback, it appears that every single sale has been a copy of TB65 on DVD or Blu Ray - so at least 447 copies, but probably more because not every buyer will leave feedback. Ignoring that, and ignoring the difference in cost between Blu Ray and DVD during the campaign, 447 x 20 is 8940.

One very generous backer...
Old 29th July 2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Just adds another level of stretching the truth to the campaign.
It was sold on the basis that if you didn't pledge you would not get them. Apart from selling them after the campaign ended several times it was also revealed that ITV had actually enquired to the producers about making something to celebrate the 50th, something conveniently missed out in the Kickstarter PR.
Selling a handful of extra copies here and there might seem like a nice gesture but this ebay seller has sold hundreds.
Is he selling bootlegs? If not, where have all these extra copies come from? Surely the producers are not running off additional copies for profit?
Nought wrong with that of course but it's just that so much was not stated upfront. So this just backs up the general opinion many hold about how the campaign was run.
Old 30th July 2018, 05:40 AM
Skybase Engineer

I'd like to think that user is someone on the "inside" selling the DVD for exorbitant prices, but 26 is one of the cheaper options out there and I believe what they were originally going for anyway. But still, for three episodes that's extremely steep.

Do we know how many copies were produced originally?

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.
Old 30th July 2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

Must be someone on the inside to get access to 400+ copies. It was never claimed to be a limited edition nor were any figures given out but it was said many times during the fund raising that the only way to see the episodes was to pledge.
The accuracy of that claim was non existent almost as soon as the initial fund raising ended.
Most campaigns are completely open that the completed project would be used for commercial gain in the event the product did get produced so there really was no reason for this to be deliberately contradicted other than because the campaign organiser was concerned that making it known that access would actually be far easier than they were claiming would affect the amount of pledges.
A legit concern given that how the idea would be received really was an unknown at the start, but that doesn't change the list of apparently deliberately misleading information dished out during fund raising.

However, the project was an inspiring idea and the results were great so I guess it doesn't matter now how many people get to see them. The only downside is that any original pledgers hoping to make big bucks should have done that at the earliest opportunity. I'd say those days are long ended
Old 30th July 2018, 09:16 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

I think I read somewhere, that there was a person who pledged thousands to the project, unconnected with the producers, and he was rewarded with many dvds and blurays, which may be this person, getting his money back.
Old 31st July 2018, 01:08 PM
General Strond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage35 View Post
I think I read somewhere, that there was a person who pledged thousands to the project, unconnected with the producers, and he was rewarded with many dvds and blurays, which may be this person, getting his money back.
Possibly, but I don't buy that somebody with 10k+ to donate to a project would be faffed with selling and sending off copies one by one. Unless they've got someone to do that for them I guess, which I guess is possible.
Old 31st July 2018, 08:35 PM
Banned

There's always the possibility that with such a huge pledge he might have agreed with the producers to get enough discs to turn a small profit and the fact that they're being sold so long after they first appeared might suggest he got a deal with the proviso not to flood the market until XXXX time had passed