Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Ebay The Unexpected

Notices

Old 2nd August 2018, 07:29 PM
Butler

Default Big mistake - Space precinct

Just made a big mistake. My DVD player gave up the ghost, and I thought I'd ordered a multi region one, but its locked.

Now can't play my region 1 discs and one casualty is Space Precinct, so one put this up on eBay.if anyone interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153123951...84.m1555.l2649
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:54 PM
Banned

Point 1. Let us know the make and model of your player and I might be able to point you in the direction of how to make it multi region.

Point 2. Network are reissuing Space Precinct later this year which might make previous sets obsolete anyway.
However, unlike Network Blurays their dvd authoring and encoding remains (for the most part) terrible and as we saw with Timeslip it may well be a good idea to hang on to the previous release to see if the Network set picture quality is as good
Old 2nd August 2018, 08:23 PM
Butler

Thanks.
It's a Sony BDP-S6700. they do a multi region version and it was only after I've used it I found they also do a locked region one too!
Old 2nd August 2018, 08:29 PM
Banned

I was hoping it was a budget brand as most of those can be hacked with the players own remote.
The better brands like Sony, Panasonic etc usually require a special remote or firmware / hardware hack.
The 12 ebay remotes that work with Sony players are unfortunately not working with the newer Sony models such as yours. I got a Sony player last year for SACD and I had the same problem(although I have a separate device for MR dvd/bd).
How long have you had the player? If its not been too long they might allow you to swap it for the MR version for a bit of extra cash?

If you surf the net for a bit you should be able to find a dvd player for around 20 from a supermarket that is easily hacked or even MR out the box. If keeping the Space Precinct discs is important take that option.

Is the Sony your one and only dvd player?
Old 2nd August 2018, 08:39 PM
Butler

It is now. I also got it because of the sacd function, which is great.
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage35 View Post
It is now. I also got it because of the sacd function, which is great.
Sorry I can't help with that then.
Both Sony and Panasonic seem to have gone out of their way to make their devices harder to hack. I had to get a new Panasonic Bluray recorder because my 2013 model started getting errors so I was a tad annoyed when I discovered the new ones could not be made MR so I've had to keep the old one for MR and the new one for recording.

Wanted shelf space in my cabinet so decided to get new Sony player to combine 4k and SACD into one and sell the 2 separates but the 199 player not only doesn't include the Gracenote connection so no track info with disc playback it also doesn't have Bluetooth or MR capability.
Getting the next model up wouldn't have made the switch cost effective so I sent the Sony back to Amazon and stayed with the other sony for SACD and Panasonic for 4k.
I had assumed that the Gracenote thing was on all Sony models. It came with WiFi anyway so skipping on Gracenote seemed unnecessary
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:47 PM
Butler

This box seems to show cd track info, but may be coded into the discs I have tried.

My other compromised discs are Galactice 1980, War of the Worlds (both series), some series of SG1, and all series of Stargate Atlantis. If anyone is interested in any of these, Including Space Precinct, let me know.
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
This box seems to show cd track info, but may be coded into the discs I have tried.

My other compromised discs are Galactice 1980, War of the Worlds (both series), some series of SG1, and all series of Stargate Atlantis. If anyone is interested in any of these, Including Space Precinct, let me know.
If you enjoy those shows and there are no R2 counterparts I'd just buy a cheap MR player rather than get rid.
How long have you had the Sony player? Where did you buy it?

Usually when a cd is loaded a screen appears for a few seconds regarding Gracenote. You need to be WiFi connected of course.
I used to copy all my discs to the PS3 but earlier this year the database feature was removed. I had been putting new discs through Itunes onto usb then onto PS3 but with the Sony I've started playing original discs again with new ones although ironically I find that track info is unavailable for the majority of SACD

Last edited by theinspector; 2nd August 2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:06 PM
Butler

Woohoo.

Just remembered I have a 22" tv /dvd combo.

Put the region 1 discs in there and they play.

Sorry to disappoint those watching the eBay listing, but I've ended it.

For info, I'm currently watching doppelganger on the sony and the upscaling is making this look very good.

I hope a hack can be found past some stage though.
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Woohoo.

Just remembered I have a 22" tv /dvd combo.

Put the region 1 discs in there and they play.

Sorry to disappoint those watching the eBay listing, but I've ended it.

For info, I'm currently watching doppelganger on the sony and the upscaling is making this look very good.

I hope a hack can be found past some stage though.
Is that the Doppelganger dvd or Bluray?
If the latter is it the Universal disc (US/UK) or the extras laden Oz one?

If you've got a dvd burner in your PC you could always make some dvd copies of those series. They would be region free and give you a safety copy for the future in the event you end up region locked.

Region locked!! What a horrible thought. I've been region free on dvd for 20 years and Bluray for 10. Far too many discs out there that would be unavailable if you're stuck with only R2/RB. Of course with Bluray there are many more region free discs than there are with dvd but its still hit and miss

Last edited by theinspector; 2nd August 2018 at 10:32 PM.