Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 9th October 2018, 07:37 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
I've probably tried to "talk up" TAG as much as anyone on here has, but I'm at a total loss as to why anyone is signing deals with ITV for new toys, rides etc when they seem to show no signs of actually promoting the show in any meaningful way.

A toy launch (when? for this christmas?) would usually be linked to a programme actually being transmitted
Welcome to the world of ITV.
The deal for toys would have been done long ago but it's no surprise that ITV don't seem interested enough to actually air it during the crucial period - although there is time for it to return.

To be fair, the screwing up of the Captain Scarlet broadcasts simply mirrored the similar incompetence and lack of interest that pretty much all of the Anderson shows received when first broadcast. It's nothing new.

Last edited by shermeen; 9th October 2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:43 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
ITVs mishandling of the show is nothing new. It happened all through Gerry's career, particularly in the 1970s with UFO and Space 1999!
I agree although i think UFO and Space 1999 were treated possibly a bit better than some of his other shows.
Thunderbirds first aired by Yorkshire 10 years after everyone else.
Joe 90 aired by YTV 13 years after everyone else.
The Secret Service aired by only 3 of the 14 regions , last seen around 1975 and never aired on British tv by anyone ever again.

UFO was slightly understandable because of the very mixed styles of story. Some were suitable for saturday teatime, some were not. At least that series did appear all over the country.

Space 1999, the most expensive show ever made at the time, yet dumped onto saturday mornings just halfway through its premier run in London.
Old 10th October 2018, 08:10 AM
Griselda

I'm not sure that anyone is going to miss TAG if it never comes back, although as a completist I would like to see the rest.

But to be honest, it hasn't been that great has it? With the exception of one or two episodes it has been quite generic of the type of cartoons that are ten a penny these days.
If it had been called "Rescue Boys" it would have been just as "successful" with the audience that it was aimed at...although I imagine that the toy market would have been rather less if we oldies hadn't bought into it!
Old 10th October 2018, 04:54 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
...and I have no doubt we'll be getting a thrilling conclusion to tie up those nagging plot threads from previous seasons.
Is it ending after S3? Have they not renewed it?
Old 10th October 2018, 06:06 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Grant View Post
Is it ending after S3? Have they not renewed it?
All signs point to the next batch of 17 episodes being the last, but that was hinted at at the series 1 premiere, and 78 episodes for a series that some people said would be cancelled before the end of the first season isn't bad going

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 10th October 2018, 09:29 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
All signs point to the next batch of 17 episodes being the last, but that was hinted at at the series 1 premiere, and 78 episodes for a series that some people said would be cancelled before the end of the first season isn't bad going
I don't think anyone suggested it would be cancelled after one series. More like they would go for 3 or 4 seasons simply to make the numbers up for syndication no matter how bad it was.
With 78 they can now sell it all over the world because they have enough episodes for it to run in daily syndication. Wouldn't have happened with just one series.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:05 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
...and a few thousand people (worldwide) watching a Twitch marathon for free...
Someone are Facebook declared the weekend was watched by 7 million people. I take it that was bollocks, was it?
Old 11th October 2018, 08:27 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Grant View Post
Someone are Facebook declared the weekend was watched by 7 million people. I take it that was bollocks, was it?
Probably. But even so, when it costs nothing of course it's going to attract people. When you have to pay, it's a different matter. Of course it's always possible that Thunderbirds Beyond the Horizon could achieve what neither of the 1960s Thunderbirds films achieved at a time when the programme's success was at its absolute peak... but I doubt it. And the end of 2019 is a long way away!
Old 11th October 2018, 08:34 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
I don't think anyone suggested it would be cancelled after one series. More like they would go for 3 or 4 seasons simply to make the numbers up for syndication no matter how bad it was.
With 78 they can now sell it all over the world because they have enough episodes for it to run in daily syndication. Wouldn't have happened with just one series.
I don't think that any of us could have predicted that ITV would take the incredible decision to commission series 2 and 3 before series 1 had even aired, based upon the assumption that it would be a huge hit. It wasn't, but I imagine it was too late to back out by then. Certainly it seems to me that a) ITV have more or less buried the series (perhaps out of embarrassment) in various 'graveyard' slots for most of its run. b) It hasn't made a meaningful impression anywhere. Or perhaps I have just missed Blue Peter making a Tracy Island and getting swamped with requests for the details! Can't fault the original series, even today it has class, but TBAG is just 'urgh!'. Which is why an unholy mash-up of the two is just asking for trouble.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:21 PM
General Strond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
I don't think that any of us could have predicted that ITV would take the incredible decision to commission series 2 and 3 before series 1 had even aired, based upon the assumption that it would be a huge hit. It wasn't, but I imagine it was too late to back out by then. Certainly it seems to me that a) ITV have more or less buried the series (perhaps out of embarrassment) in various 'graveyard' slots for most of its run. b) It hasn't made a meaningful impression anywhere. Or perhaps I have just missed Blue Peter making a Tracy Island and getting swamped with requests for the details! Can't fault the original series, even today it has class, but TBAG is just 'urgh!'. Which is why an unholy mash-up of the two is just asking for trouble.
In fairness to all involved, unless the BBC were airing it (as they were in the early 90s and then the early 00s) I very much doubt Blue Peter would cover it.