Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 13th October 2018, 02:22 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Well, having asked the questions I suppose I ought to give my thoughts as well…..

I appreciate that there are those who want to only focus on all the original shows, but there are various threads on the forum etc about potential new versions of things like UFO, Space 1999 etc – and if anything ever happened with any of them I doubt it would be possible to ignore any comment or review of them etc (especially when there have also been comments about the “lack of new info” etc to present in things like FAB moving forward.

To get to TAG specifically – it hasn’t helped that after all the hype it’s not (to be honest) been good in many respects; and the main issues have been reflected in the comments: The writing is inconsistent, if there is an underlying “story arc” it’s too deeply buried for most people to notice or care about, and it seems to fall short of what you might expect technically these days.

In terms of the specific questions I asked:

1) Mix of CGI and Models – doe sit actually work? This was clearly a production decision – presumably driven by a view that you “can’t do enough with puppets” etc. On the whole I think it’s a good idea (and it really works for the underwater and space stuff), but in other respects it’s been dreadful, with a lack of scale, perspective and “realism” that is worse than the effect in the original. Which I really don’t understand, as WETA is better than this, so it can only be down to a deliberate choice of “look” and probably budget limitations.

2) Changing the age and personalities of the Tracy brothers and their personalities: I suspect this was driven by the current idea that kids programmes need to have characters and presenters that either are kids or act like them – whereas the original was essentially shown as a childrens programme but wasn’t made as such. Generally the new versions of the characters are too immature to be doing what they do – Alan particularly is too young to be doing what he’s suppose to be able to do, and “new” Scott if far too much of a hot-head to be in charge of anything. The one thing I do like is the introduction of Kayo as a more “in the action” replacement for Tin-Tin – but even then they don’t really seem to know how to use the character.

3) Getting rid of Jeff: I’m OK with this as it does allow a different dynamic, but it could have been used better if they have some overall idea to explain what happened to him, and how he’s then rescued (if that’s the plan………)

4) Changing the design of the main vehicles: In general, from a tech point of view, I think this was based on some good ideas - and then they took it too far. New TB-1 works well, but in Series 3 now seems to have gained a “pod” – where’s that supposed to fit? A decision was clearly made to make TB-2 smaller – the overall is design is well done, but that change has a knock in effect on the size of pod vehicles (which I’ll come back to). TB-3 – a nice idea to add some sort of manipulator arms so it can actually do something, but the “mole” nose is a bit odd. Then we have the “Mega-Max” add on – what the hell is that supposed to be. TB-4 – actually the best of the reworked vehicles in my view (though we perhaps have Graham Bleathman to thank there, when he told them he thought the origin design they’d come up with looked all wrong). TB-5 – some nice ideas, but how come it gained a pod at one point that clearly doesn’t fit (and don’t get me started on space elevator physics). It has of course then all gone haywire with TB-2 and TB-4 in space.

5) Missing classic pod vehicles: Perhaps one of the biggest annoyances – I quite like the idea of modular vehicles for certain jobs, but they are clearly too small and flimsy for a lot of jobs; and it might have been better to have a range of bigger “traditional” pod vehicles as well.

All in all I feel that TAG fell victim of too many conflicting views as to what the series should be. It also suffers from current views on what a “childrens” show can do, and how it can work: With a need for childish characters, lack of real “threat” or violence, and constant needs to fall back on humour to defuse any tension that happens to have been generated,

An opportunity lost.

In the end I’m not sure whether to be sad or angry, because I really wanted it to work.

Perhaps in 10 years time it may be possible to take a more reasoned look back at it.

FAB_61
Old 13th October 2018, 07:54 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
I believe there was a retrospective on TB2086 not so long ago (well, probably more like in the last 5 years, time flies), with new artwork and a look back at the characters and vehicles.
So one article then nothing for at least 5 years.
That's how TAG should be treated
Old 13th October 2018, 07:57 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purupuss View Post
How refreshing to have someone state (again, I know) their reasons behind their dislike in calm, rational, words, instead of what seems to be the main theme of those against Thunderbirds Are Go - that it's rubbish because Gerry Anderson wasn't involved.
Actually that's the only reason that matters. We don't really need in depth explanations to acknowledge that it's rubbish.
And regardless of it's artistic merit , it could be the best show in the world and would still not deserve it's FAB coverage
Old 13th October 2018, 08:02 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
And the winner for the most sensible two paragraphs written on the forum this year is....Purupuss!
Not really - not when it seems that most Fanderson subscribers couldn't give a hoot for it.
I don't look at facebook so I don't know what percentage of fans who enjoy it actually pay for FAB. Might be worth looking at.

Just because coverage keeps you in episode guide writing work doesn't mean it's to all tastes.
Are there any posts on this forum from anyone who complains when TAG is not covered?
If not then we don't need anything beyond a 1 line synopsis of the remaining episodes
Old 13th October 2018, 08:04 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
Well, having asked the questions I suppose I ought to give my thoughts as well…..

I appreciate that there are those who want to only focus on all the original shows, but there are various threads on the forum etc about potential new versions of things like UFO, Space 1999 etc – and if anything ever happened with any of them I doubt it would be possible to ignore any comment or review of them
If there ever should be remakes of UFO or Space 1999 I would expect info on their production and then a review of the first episode. But not in depth episode guides nor large interviews with those making it.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:26 PM
Butler

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm interested in any news of remakes etc. They all have their grounding in Gerry Anderson's imagination and are therefore of interest.

Star Trek is forever being reimaged and covered extensively. Just because Gene Roddenberry is no longer involved, does that make those shows any less appealing or relevant?

I assumed the lack of TAG was due to it being off air.

My main gripe with TAG is the small universe it now occupies, with them continually, it seems, rescuing the same people. Its target audience is much younger these days, and so allowances have to be made when viewing as a 60+-year-old.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:55 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage35 View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm interested in any news of remakes etc. They all have their grounding in Gerry Anderson's imagination and are therefore of interest.

Star Trek is forever being reimaged and covered extensively. Just because Gene Roddenberry is no longer involved, does that make those shows any less appealing or relevant?
My main gripe with TAG is the small universe it now occupies, with them continually, it seems, rescuing the same people. Its target audience is much young

I think everyone is interested in news and details of remakes just not lots of coverage once it appears.
Star Trek is slightly different in that every series is connected to the same world so no Star Trek series is actually a remake of any other. And all the series are as relevant as each other because they are basically continuing from where another series ended
Old 13th October 2018, 10:47 PM
The Snake

But the rebooted JJ Abrams films divide the Star Trek community. These are more akin to TAG.
Old 13th October 2018, 10:53 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
I think everyone is interested in news and details of remakes just not lots of coverage once it appears.
Star Trek is slightly different in that every series is connected to the same world so no Star Trek series is actually a remake of any other. And all the series are as relevant as each other because they are basically continuing from where another series ended
So where would that apprach (in theory) leave something like ...... "Space 1999 - The Next Generation", which tells the story of the decendants of the original Alpha crew desperately trying to find a home before the base finally becomes unusable?
Old 13th October 2018, 11:09 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
So where would that apprach (in theory) leave something like ...... "Space 1999 - The Next Generation", which tells the story of the decendants of the original Alpha crew desperately trying to find a home before the base finally becomes unusable?
I'd say that'd be fair game, but the Star Trek analogy only works if you're looking at the Star Trek fanbase as a whole. I'm sure the argument that will be put forth by m'learned opposition will be that a Gene Roddenberry fan group should not discuss Star Trek series made after his death as he was not involved in their production and since this is a Gerry and Sylvia Anderson appreciation society and not a Thunderbirds appreciation society, the same logic should apply.

Which works from a certain point of view, but like Star Trek, I find it impossible to separate Thunderbirds into different compartments. I love the franchise, not just the part Gerry made, and without the original there would be no TB2004 or TAG (or even TB2086), and it is therefore likely to be of interest to the fanbase as a whole while it remains in production and is airing. The same thing happened with TB2004 incidentally, FAB ran a lot of highly detailed articles in the run up to and post release of the film as it was, well, a Thunderbirds project, albeit one Gerry was not involved with.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4