Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios > Identified

Notices

Old 21st December 2018, 07:39 PM
Spacehawk

All this banter has finally proved to me that we are all too spoilt with all the classic and cult TV available to us.
Here's a radical thought.... Why not let's just sit back, watch them and enjoy them!
Old 21st December 2018, 10:05 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBattalion8 View Post

1: The original Framerate for Thunderbirds was the PAL standard Framerate, which is 24 fps. (Also the lowest possible Playback Frame Rate for any 1960s film reel.)
Is it really worth continuing this argument when you finally confirm what I suspected anyway. Your technical knowledge is lacking.

PAL framerate is actually 25fps even in HD which is why some Blurays of certain UK shows appear on Bluray in 1080/50i rather than the standard rate. Which is why UK dvd's run a shorter time than most Blurays - because the dvd's run 1 frame a second faster.
Film (while possible at a wide variety of framerates) is generally 24fps which is why the Thunderbirds Blurays are at the correct speed and why 99% of Bluray releases are not at 25fps and why Network have released all their ITC shows not at 25fps either. Space 1999, UFO, Scarlet, Joe 90, The Prisoner, The Persuaders, The Zoo Gang, Randall and Hopkirk etc . All in 24p - the correct speed. Studio Canal did the same with The Avengers.

Technically NTSC is 30fps but clearly its not worth explaining why it ends up at 24fps.

I think in this day and age this is pretty basic stuff for anyone who collects home video from more than one country.

In the UK we watched everything at 25fps from the early days of tv until the advent of Bluray which was the first time we were able to view most things at the correct speed. Even UK dvd is the wrong speed.
Your point seems to say because something was made in the UK means it was intended to be that way. (True for things shot on tape).
As every ITC show was made on film specifically to bypass the issues with framerate back in the day to allow for airing in the US the notion they were all supposed to be seen at 25fps is obviously wrong.

NTSC Blurays? A non existent term.
I might be a bit pedantic to point out that the terms PAL and NTSC actually have nothing to do with framerate speed.
They were adopted as an easy way to differentiate US and UK product. But in the world of HD neither term exists.

The 80's tapes were actually 25fps because that was all anyone could play in the UK. But the compilations were all converted from NTSC format which is why the voices are deeper than on the actual episodes.
Not checked but that might not apply to the tape of Destination Moonbase Alpha which I believe was the only compilation completed on film. The framerate and audio issues on the rest of the compilations is because they were all put together on NTSC format videotape.

Where did you get all these bizarre ideas from?
Just out of interest go and post your last post on Bluray.com and then sit back and enjoy the fallout.

Last edited by shermeen; 21st December 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 21st December 2018, 10:44 PM
Griselda

I've just started wondering why I've bothered to give any credence to comments from someone who watches Region A Bluray content by ripping the files to a computer rather than watching them properly and seems to make opinions about content based on viewing internet streaming.

No wonder he thinks that every Anderson show released on Bluray around the world is at the wrong speed.
"They must be- because Twitch is right".
Old 21st December 2018, 10:52 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

Nonexistent argument? dude, I say I don't have the energy for this anymore you just keep going at it. You were the one making an argument about this not me. And where on earth did you even have the slightest idea that I was saying 25 fps was the right speed? My entire point throughout this 'argument' has been that they are 24 fps (PAL speed). Which is certainly not what they are on the blurays. So far your only point has been that because that's how they are on the bluray then it must be right. That doesn't even cover the vinyls, the soundtrack cds, the cham cham speed difference, the twitch stream, The sound effect libraries. I've explained this whole thing to like 18 other people before now and they have all seen the merit of my stance. It seems that the only one who feels my logic is completely wrong is you. Now I don't know if that's indicative of the majority fandom mindset, but seeing the only things you have to back you up are written words as opposed to physical evidence while everything from my experience is clearly leaning towards the PAL speed, I can clearly see that I misjudged you as someone who was willing to weigh the evidence in an unbiased manner. I have been advised to leave this discussion many times by friends because of your inability to think constructively. I only stuck around this long because I thought there was a small chance you would understand. Guess I was wrong about that, Like I'm wrong about everything according to you. I'm not going to be a part of this cyclic pointless talk anymore. Farewell. Do not reply. I am not in the mood for this anymore.
Man of sounds, sound of thunder, thunder of birds, birds of hawks, hawks of terror, terror of terror fish, fish of aquaphibians, aquaphibians of space, space of patrol, patrol of wings, wings of angels, angels of the lord, lord of the bishop, bishop of the Secret service, Secret service of Shane Weston. Everything of Gerry Anderson!
Old 21st December 2018, 10:56 PM
Griselda

24fps is not PAL speed.
Nuff said.

Your lack of basic knowledge posted is staggering. That you post it with such belief its right is even more staggering.

Based on your last comment the only argument is that 24p is not PAL speed. Except that is a fact.
It would seem this entire argument has arisen because you didn't realise PAL is not 24p

To be honest your last post is the biggest load of drivel I've seen for a long time.

Like most people, I don't waste time debating FACTS. Your opinions are all rendered irrelevant by the known facts.

Last edited by shermeen; 21st December 2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 21st December 2018, 10:59 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Nonexistent argument? dude, I say I don't have the energy for this anymore you just keep going at it. You were the one making an argument about this not me. And where on earth did you even have the slightest idea that I was saying 25 fps was the right speed? My entire point throughout this 'argument' has been that they are 24 fps (PAL speed). Which is certainly not what they are on the blurays.
Is it possible to be so wrong on so many levels in so few words? As for being wrong on everything. That sounds about right but it would seem to be based on your lack of knowledge about one important thing. PAL speed. You've posted it several times and it takes seconds to show you are wrong. Care to comment on that?

My final word - easy to verify anywhere on the net.

PAL speed is NOT 24p.
The Blurays are ALL 24p.

Maybe if you watched the episodes properly rather than watching rips and net streams you wouldn't be posting such nonsense.

5 seconds on Google.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wh...hrome&ie=UTF-8

PAL speed-up. Motion pictures are typically shot on film at 24 frames per second. When telecined and played back at PAL's standard of 25 frames per second, films run about 4% faster.

Debate that!!
I suggest the people who listened to your view were as equally uninformed as you but it would seem that had you been aware that PAL is not 24p then you would not have posted in the first place as your entire argument is based on incorrect info.
Changing all your mentions of PAL to NTSC would in fact make your argument sound but it was something we all knew anyway.

Last edited by shermeen; 21st December 2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:18 AM
Cloudbase Doctor

Only gonna say this once. I know a guy who saw the Thunderbirds episodes in America when they first broadcast there. Even he thinks that I'm right and you are wrong. Goodbye
Man of sounds, sound of thunder, thunder of birds, birds of hawks, hawks of terror, terror of terror fish, fish of aquaphibians, aquaphibians of space, space of patrol, patrol of wings, wings of angels, angels of the lord, lord of the bishop, bishop of the Secret service, Secret service of Shane Weston. Everything of Gerry Anderson!
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:23 AM
Griselda

Quote:
Only gonna say this once. I know a guy who saw the Thunderbirds episodes in America when they first broadcast there. Even he thinks that I'm right and you are wrong. Goodbye
About what? That PAL is 24p? Wasn't TB shown in the US in 1965 or 1966? Good memory then. This is getting funnier by the post.

Not sure what the relevance of that is to anything but trying to counter established technical facts just makes you look a bigger fool than you already do.

The only thing we actually disagree about is that PAL speed is not 24p.
That is not something open to debate. It is a FACT.

You've said that TB should be 24p. I agree with that. The problem arises with your reference to 24p as being PAL speed. It isn't. It really is that simple.

Is this guy a troll , 12 years old or has something like Aspergers?

Last edited by shermeen; 22nd December 2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:41 AM
Cloudbase Doctor

It's cute that you think this whole thing is just about my idea of PAL speed. He agrees with me that the Blurays are the wrong speed. Everything you spout chips away at my faith in humanity just a little bit more. No more. Done. Finito. End
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:51 AM
Battery Boy

Shermeen. You've been had. He is obviously a wind up merchant.Nobody could seriously post such rubbish and believe it. I'd give up a lost cause