Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Retro-metabolism > Space 2099 The Series

Notices

Old 10th February 2012, 07:28 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisof View Post
My main worry is that they'l do what most TV series do nowadays and make the show 80% character driven with lots of Angst, sex, depression, conflicts etc (BSG, lost and Stargate Universe being good examples) they are not bad shows but it does leave me wondering why on moon am i watching this if i'm after escapism?
Absolutely agree with you, the escapist setting is never properly exploited. The very reason we are watching is truly lost.
Old 10th February 2012, 07:36 PM
Spacehawk

Yes, I think that's the reason I like season one - it's visually and conceptually imaginative and not just about personal dramas. That's what Gerry and Sylvia were so good at producing for television - programmes that looked different and told stories in a way that was cinematic.
Old 10th February 2012, 08:11 PM
Alien

Don't forget that Daily Variety report from the mid-00s about a live-action update of JOE 90,which never advanced beyond that speculative point. Someone sent me the article with about the same wording and structure used to announce the more-recent UFO and now SPACE:2099 ventures...all bunnies and kitties then...
Old 10th February 2012, 09:15 PM
Alien

Sir-"Amster,
Ahhhhh 2099 might be a wee bit too far off into the future. When Year one came out the thinking over here through reviews pegged "1999" as a we bit too close for such an involved operation on the Moon to be feasible. Some, I think I can find the review proposed changing the series title to "SPACE:2049" instead.

Okay folks, in the spirit of Eagles on Steroids allow me to share you this piece of maybe ITC art that somehow looks half-done.
Any one of you out there have an idea of it's origins.because I think I got it at some Space:1999 Alliance or Fanderson auction in the 80s...looks like a Steve Kyte or Graham Bleathman project that....and appears to be black and white watercolours washy, if that helps you artist types out there......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0866.jpg  

Last edited by douglogger; 10th February 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added copy
Old 10th February 2012, 09:45 PM
Aquaphibian

One tries to remain cautiously optimistic, but most reboots seem to cock up whatever it was that made the original show great in the first place.

I too have been dismayed by all the discussion of the show's plausibility. I first read about this revival attempt on another forum, where in the very first post, the question of how to fix the show's "ridiculous" format was brought up. I don't know why people are so fixated on this. I watch Star Trek, and see a huge spaceship flying around at faster than light speeds, which is scientifically impossible but that doesn't seem to worry anyone.

The trouble is, for me, if they try to fix such perceived flaws, what do they take away from the concept? Sooner or later, you're not left with anything that's recognizably Space: 1999 - you might as well create something else entirely.

Space: 1999 is not just the best thing Gerry and Sylvia made, it's the second best tv show ever made, so any remake has got a lot to live up to.

Space: 1999 - a personal view

"Now we're sitting on the biggest bomb man's ever made"

Last edited by Andrew Kearley; 12th February 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11th February 2012, 12:19 AM
Spacehawk

For better or worse they got the "V" series reboot on the abc network, hopefully SPACE:2099 will get the proper network exposure.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 11th February 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12th February 2012, 01:12 AM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisof View Post
Its interesting that most people think they won't use the travelling moon idea (the reason I could never think of a way to do it myself) , and its an interesting to note their focus on plausibility.
Its also interesting to read on "ain't it cool" that there isn't much love for the original.

First off, I went to Aintitcool and posted a message that probably pissed off everyone of those posting messages - I have not returned to read their responses. Why would they go into a thread and post something they know nothing about or hate.

I find the only thing hard to take with Space: 1999 is how it gets from the solar system into deep space. I know fan productions have mentioned a worm hole or the like that sends the moon on its way. I see no reason why a rift of sorts opens because of the nuclear explosion and the moon gets sucked into it.

Alpha is pictured in the Space: 2099 logo and so I think Alpha will be in the series.

As for that ship, the Asimov - imagine a larger patrol ship housed on the moon that the Alphans use to explore ahead of the moon's path. That may lead to some more interesting stories and action - just an idea.....

KP
Old 12th February 2012, 09:43 AM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokp View Post
As for that ship, the Asimov - imagine a larger patrol ship housed on the moon that the Alphans use to explore ahead of the moon's path. That may lead to some more interesting stories and action - just an idea..... KP
Had to laugh when I saw the ship was called Asimov - Isaac himself did nothing but bleat about supposed scientific inaccuracies back in the 70s, moaning it wasn't as good as his mate Gene's show... IMO if you're going to give that ship a name, Asimov isn't it! If these producers knew about Space1999 they'd have picked up on that. Byrne or Wilson perhaps or Freiberger for a laugh
Old 14th February 2012, 11:10 PM
SID

Has anyone here joined the Space: 2099 forum?

While the fact of whether or not there should be a new version anyway could be debated forever, I thought I'd sign-up as at least by having a forum style website, in contrast to the usual pre-production publicity where everything has been decided already, there is the opportunity to pass comments and make suggestions. From what I've read so far, most people are in favour of the series 1 style, including keeping the clean fresh look of Alpha, which I agree with, so I've put in my tuppence worth as well.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:41 AM
Zarin

Got a link, Autumn?

SIG is short for both my name and Spectrum Is Green!