Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > TV21 - Fanderson Convention 22nd to 24th October 2010

Notices

Old 25th October 2010, 01:58 PM
Zarin

Quote:
Fancy a cold one... eh?
"Guys I've got something to tell you... I'm not really French..."
Old 25th October 2010, 02:38 PM
The Snake

AS a newbie to conventions I had a great time.. helped by the tremendous work that everyone had put in to make sure everything was organised properly! So thanks to all those who worked so hard before and during the Con.
LOVED Alan Shubrooks talk on UFO.. .. loved watching Identified on the big screen and in HD, loved meeting loads of 'faces' to put to the names!
Even got a couple of commisions as well!!
Chrisof.?? thanks for the DVD. ! really appreciate it.. I have some story ideas for a UFO film whenever you are ready!!!! (hopeful look here!) And I finished a pic of Lady Penelope while I was travelling home on the train!
Old 25th October 2010, 03:18 PM
Agent Blake

I had a brilliant time at the con, it was my first time going to any sort of convention but I found there was plenty of fascinating things to watch and do, all the people I met were really friendly and approachable, there were some excellent displays and it was well run. Congratulations to Fanderson for a great con!
Old 25th October 2010, 04:46 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Eaton View Post
Did the Moon move for you?
Actually - it did seem to on the train back to where I was staying on Friday night ! Brilliant clear sky, and as the train went round a bend, the Moon seemed to fly off ! Was back again the following night though.

Good to meet various people from the forum, and particularly enjoyed meeting Duke Dexter and sharing thoughts about the Anderson world. I'll post one or two pictures over the next few days.

Here's one of Gerry being interviewed to start with -

Thanks to everyone who helped put the show together and hope you all enjoyed it.

Last edited by air terrainean; 25th October 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 25th October 2010, 05:27 PM
Spacehawk

Oh my goodness, where to begin? Okay, here goes (deep breath):

It was EPIC! I literally could talk about it for hours on end, but I'll try to keep it short and mention the highlights. (Just re-reading it and it's not even close to short. Sorry, but I just have to mention all this stuff.)

DAY ZERO

Didn't make it in time for the Barry Gray concert on the Friday, but I hear it was excellent.

END OF DAY ZERO

DAY ONE

Met up with Chrisof for breakfast on Saturday at our hotel and walked over to the Ramada where we met up with j3pfilms (ended up with the three of us pretty much hanging out all weekend going to most of the same things).

Opening ceremony was cool, with a really nice montage video kicking things off. Then Gary Files walked on stage as the first guest and was simply fantastic, a real nice guy. He signed the first autograph I got at the con and I talked to him a few more times over the course of the weekend while he was walking around the hotel. It was incredibly surreal that, after sharing a quick joke with him, I suddenly thought "I just made Captain Magenta laugh!” He showed up for the disco that night too, which was awesome.

The one and only Shane Rimmer was brilliant during his interview and immediately afterwards, j3pfilms and I went to get his autograph in the copies of his autobiography we had bought. Unfortunately the waiting line was huge, but we joined anyway. Lucky for us, David Graham appeared seconds later to sign autographs right where we were standing, so we were the first people to get his signature. We joined the queue for Shane's signing after chatting briefly with David and eventually got to the front. I took a quick video of j3pfilms standing with Shane which I'm sure will appear at some point.

Lunchtime rolled around and I went to grab a sandwich from the bar. I was just sitting down to eat it when I noticed David Graham sitting at the table next to me talking to someone. "Lunch next to Parker" I thought, doesn't happen every day.

I'm going to skip on a bit because I'm writing way more than I should be. Basically when Gerry did his talk, it was clear that he was still very upset about what ITV had done when they screened NCS for the first time. After the talk, myself and the other two stooges went to check the raffle outcome (to see which 21 people would get a chat with Gerry and an autograph). I nearly passed out when I realised that one of my five tickets was a winner (number 141 if anyone's interested). Chrisof and I got in line, both rather nervous, but that good kind of "This is awesome" nervous. I went first (actually I've just remembered, Col. Foster won as well, he went in right before me) and said hello and asked if he was having a nice day. He said that he was enjoying himself and asked what I thought of it so far. I said it was fantastic and leapt on a chance to put in a word for all of the NCS fans out there. Mustering more courage than I ever thought I had in me I came out with "I just have to tell you that New Captain Scarlet is one of the best shows ever and everyone loved it despite what ITV did, you and your team should be very proud of it". He seemed rather pleased and said, "Yes, it was good wasn't it?” He very kindly signed my TV21 brochure, taking great care not to write over any text so that I could still read everything. I thanked him, wished him a very enjoyable day and walked out feeling.... well, you'd had to have been there; it was just the best feeling. He really is a very, very nice man, as I always got the impression he would be.

Phew, that was a long paragraph! Okay lets see, moving right along. I'm going to skip right to the end of the pre-disco part of Saturday and the first screening of TB10. The room was full, the audience cheered and laughed at all the right places and Chrisof was obviously rather chuffed (and rightly so, as those of us who have seen TB10 will agree). Then, 5 minutes later there was an encore, so it got screened again to another packed room, it was pretty awesome.

Disco time! After TB10 I thought to myself "I'll just head back to the hotel, disco's aren't my thing". I'm glad I changed my mind! The costumes where fantastic! The craic was 90 as they say! Derek Eaton's X20 in disguise was a stroke of genius, and as others have mentioned, the alien from UFO was a firm favourite with everyone. I ended up pulling imaginary strings on j3pfilms's Parker, making him move his arms and walk down the hall much to the amusement of the others. I hope to see a lot of photos from the disco, as it was an excellent night. Finished up with Chrisof, j3pfilms and myself trying in vain to quote "Trapped in the Sky" in its entirety (We failed miserably sometime after "Passengers or Passenger, I saw her too, she's kinda cute"). Mr Jim showed up a short while after and the four of us chatted for a good while until I decided to grab an early night at about quarter to 12. The disco was also a great place to meet Forum members face to face when everyone wasn't trying to be at a certain event at a certain time like earlier in the day.

END OF DAY ONE

DAY TWO (this one will be shorter, I promise!)

Breakfast with Chrisof again, during which he had a long-distance call with Capt Ochre if I remember rightly.

Arrived at con early and met up with j3pfilms again. The three of us braced ourselves for Turbocharged Thunderbirds. No bracing was enough.... but the weirdest thing is that we're STILL quoting it. "I sure could go for a cool one, eh?" and "Unfortunately we have to go rescue them" to name a few...

Might as well stick this bit in here. I was in the merchandise room at one point and things were fairly quiet when out of nowhere, Matt Zimmerman appeared carry a tray with cups of coffee for Shane Rimmer and his wife. It was a perfectly ordinary situation, but my inner fan went into overload and started think “Ahhh! Alan just brought Scott a cup of coffee and I’m standing mere feet away from them!” it was both completely ordinary and completely surreal at the exact same time.
After the reopening ceremony, we headed to a discussion with Shane Rimmer and Ian Fryer about writing for the screen, which was really interesting and it was great to hear Shane talk about his time writing Captain Scarlet and Joe 90 among others.

Running out of typing steam here (thank goodness I hear you say), so I'll say that all of the guests were wonderful but Matt Zimmerman in particular was nothing short of legendary. His story about a young Ed Bishop and then his impression of Ray Barrett’s Duchess of Royston… well you’ll see the videos, I was actually crying tears of laughter by the end of it all.

END OF DAY TWO

SUMMARY

All in all, TV21 was the most fun I’ve had in a very long time, and I would like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone involved and I cannot wait for next time.

FAB

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4

Last edited by Hiram K Hackenbacker; 25th October 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 25th October 2010, 06:27 PM
Squealer

Thanks Hiram, a great summary! It makes me even more determined to make the next con, no matter what!
Old 25th October 2010, 06:32 PM
General Strond

What a weekend! It was great to meet and make new friends, its all still sinking in at the moment, but some wonderful memories and exciting ideas for the future!

This morning as I was packing the last of my things into my girlfriends car, I saw Shane Rimmer waiting outside... We had a nice chat, and he explained he was waiting for a taxi to the station, and that the driver was cutting it too fine. Then in a perfect Scott Tracy voice he said: "I don't, I don't think we're gonna make it!" Lovely moment.

Derek, I owe you a drink, and save that sign man, keep it for next time.
Old 25th October 2010, 06:42 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

Wink Tired but happy :D

Well, what can I say? Just got back after an absolutely BRILLIANT TIME. Well done to all the Fanderson committee and everyone helping. You did a superb job - me and my gang (hehe) commented about how professional and extremely well organised you all were. I shouldnt be surprised - this was, after all, my 6th Fanderson Convention and hubby's 22nd and they have all been excellent.

Highlights?
The 'walking' map to find the hotel - an inspiration! Found it no problems whatsoever. Whoever decided on it, give yourself a HUGE gold star
Meeting and greeting old friends and new - always a joy, but sadly well overdue.
The fantastic Holding Out For A Hero intro to the Convention - brilliant!
Mike Trim - always interesting to listen to and just a delightful man
Alan Shubrook - brilliantly funny and excellent presentation. Very subtley mentioned that Derek Meddings liked to blow things up - I would never have known!!
The disco - sadly I had a bit of a crisis in the middle, but managed to join in with it again, but then got dragged away by ancient hubby and 2nd hubby!!! They said I was a bit drunk. I totally refute that allegation!!!
The Robert Harrop Fireflash model - my first acquisition of the weekend
Matt Zimmerman - a lovely, lovely man who was very funny.
Lowlights:
The price of the drinks and it was bl**dy flat too! Food was also very overpriced, although we had a meal at the Mercure last night which was excellent
Gerry - only in the sense that he looked very frail and its worrying.
Keith Wilson's unfortunately not being able to attend - such a shame but work has to come first.

I did miss having a 'proper' auction too - the snap auctions were ok, but if you werent at a certain talk, you were likely to miss something. I think a more structured auction works better. But hey, that is not a criticism, honestly, just a thought for the next con...

Loved it loved it loved it!!! Nuff said.
Zoe and Les x
Old 25th October 2010, 07:06 PM
Dr. Cedric Agon

I've been going to Fanderson conventions since 1984 and involved with running the sales table for the last 18 years so very rarely get to see anything of the event.
Perhaps sometime that will change. I've enjoyed all the conventions I've attended but this one seemed just that little bit more special, The guests were all fantastic, the venue was great (only gripe for me was the slowness of the restaurant staff).
I work with a fantastic bunch of people on the committee and I'm proud of every single one of them.
There is a heck of a lot of work involved both before, during and after the event but the reward of knowing that so many of you have enjoyed it makes up for it all.
The most important people to thank at any convention are you, the attendees. THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING IT A FANTASTIC WEEKEND FOR US....

Steve and Lynn..

See you next time
Old 25th October 2010, 08:43 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

Default TV21 was F.A.B.

Thank you to all those who organised the convention last weekend. It was great fun. It was lovely to see so many people truly enjoying themselves.
Best moment was chatting to John Blundall and having the 'Master' give me some tips on puppeteering. I did have an uncomfortable moment was realising he was watching me manipulate Virgil at one point, it gave me goose bumps!
See you next time!