Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 3rd April 2016, 09:21 PM
Jason Smith

Default are anderson's series 'american' shows?

although all of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's series for ITC were shot in England,gerry said on 'the brains behind thunderbirds' documentary that 'thunderbirds' is a American show & according to a 'times' TV critic in 1968 stated that 'captain scarlet and the mysterons' was a puppet show made in America.they may look like they were American that was why it was shot on 35mm film.i don't think it has the US feel more british to me,anyone agree?
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC1 View Post
although all of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's series for ITC were shot in England,gerry said on 'the brains behind thunderbirds' documentary that 'thunderbirds' is a American show & according to a 'times' TV critic in 1968 stated that 'captain scarlet and the mysterons' was a puppet show made in America.they may look like they were American that was why it was shot on 35mm film.i don't think it has the US feel more british to me,anyone agree?
They're not US shows at all. They were produced in England by an English company and by English people.
However, it was shot for what was once called a transatlantic audience - and many of the ITC shows, not just Anderson ones would have dialogue adjusted or other things changed to make them more suitable for US audiences. Expensive shooting on 35mm was done by Lew Grade for one reason - to make the shows look good for US audiences which is why many of the shows would include US voice actors and the live action shows would usually feature someone known to the US audience.
So while , at the time of production, I would say the producers probably worried more about what the US audience might think the shows were British through and through.

Few of the 35mm Lew Grade series would make a profit with just a UK screening. The whole notion of 35mm high quality visuals , and colour many years before it arrived in the UK was for the US audience.
Lew always wanted a network sale but few of the ITC shows ever managed that but that's where the big money was. The Persuaders for example was a massive success everywhere except the US and because the budget was large it's failure in the US meant no more were made because they needed the US money.

The TV Times critic ( which issue was this comment in?) was clearly talking rubbish.

Last edited by phelings; 3rd April 2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 4th June 2016, 04:16 PM
General Strond

To elaborate slightly on the importance of the American market - when the BBC finally managed to sell Doctor Who in to the USA in the late 70s - each sale to each local station made them broadly the same in terms of revenue as a sale to a national broadcaster elsewhere normally would.

When you then consider that there are hundreds of individual local stations...!
Old 4th June 2016, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
To elaborate slightly on the importance of the American market - when the BBC finally managed to sell Doctor Who in to the USA in the late 70s - each sale to each local station made them broadly the same in terms of revenue as a sale to a national broadcaster elsewhere normally would.

When you then consider that there are hundreds of individual local stations...!
Which is what happened to 1999.
Although promised a network sale if Landau and Bain were cast that fell through and the time consuming process of selling to the individual local stations was done instead but like Dr Who the number of stations that did buy it meant it did make enough money to satisfy ITC USA.
Although not enough to let them have the same budget for season 2.
Old 14th June 2016, 09:13 PM
Banned

Willps. Tried sending a reply to your PM but it says you cannot accept them.
I'm guessing your box might be full. Let me know when you've made the adjustments
Old 21st June 2016, 07:05 PM
Supreme Commander

Long story short - British series, with British Humour and style, and often as not American characters, written from a British perspective.

ONly the second season of Space 1999 (what little I have seen of it) has a more Americanized feel due to Producer Fred Freehandburger. - He made a mess of Star Trek's final year too.