Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > The Bringers of Wonder

Notices

Old 28th December 2015, 12:52 PM
Skybase Engineer

Default Why No Anderson Shows on British TV?

Of course, I am not talking about the TAG series...

Why is there very little of the Supermarionation series, or the live action stuff on British TV?

I am, frankly, shocked at the lack of, say, UFO and Space 1999 and Captain Scarlet in the TV listings, when other old TV shows seem to be on repeat play forever and ever (Murder she Wrote, I'm looking at you).

With HD TV now mainstream, the Anderson product is perfect to fill programme schedules with good quality vintage TV product that those of us of a certain age all know as British Pop Culture...

I sometimes wonder if, as the shows were all UK made, ITC/Carlton/Granada/ITV Studios are too stingy to pay the repeat fees that UK showings would generate for the artistes...

Just a thought...

Dan
Old 28th December 2015, 01:23 PM
General Strond

Well, UFO and Space:1999 were both repeated constantly from ITV4's launch in 2005 to about 2010. Perhaps the feeling was that was wearing a little thin?

I think Joe 90 was last aired on Sci-fi/Syfy regularly around 2010, but it continued using episodes as filler around films in to the next year. Sci Fi also had Thunderbirds around the same period, maybe a little earlier?

Stingray and Captain Scarlet might have been the longest without airings - Sky One showed Stingray in an early morning timeslot until they gave up with Childrens' entertainment (2003?) and Captain Scarlet I don't think has been shown since its BBC run finished.

I agree though it should be an easy win. Perhaps ITV are pushing it a bit on the high side?