Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > The Bringers of Wonder

Notices

Old 31st December 2015, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
Is that happening? See my previous post - it looks like ITV have finally given Stingray and Captain Scarlet some new art; I thought Network had 'second option' on ITV stuff; they didn't release Fireball XL5 until Carlton's edition had been deleted IIRC?
I was referring to the video masters which are , I believe the exact same ones released over a decade ago.
And the image error I was referring to was the one mentioned earlier showing the old Joe 90 packaging on the new release. Not sure if they reused any other old images.

I don't know what the exact details of the ITV / Network agreement are but it would seem logical that if Network release material previously released by ITV then the earlier release would have been deleted for some time.

I don't think Network have released a great deal of material that ITV have done before compared to what Network release as a first time appearance.

I would say the current deal pretty much gives Network access to most things except the obvious ones that ITV play to death, like Morse, Frost , Midsomer, basically the dull almost modern material that fills ITV3 on a daily basis.

With Network announcing UFO on Bluray I would say that the other Anderson series will appear from Network if they appear on Bluray at all.
ITV have pretty much given up with Bluray and even their modern shows like Lewis, Foyles War etc thats broadcast here in HD gets no domestic Bluray release but often gets one in the US.
ITV are also slow in converting their massive archive into HD.
In the late 90s Carlton went on a buying spree in order to fill their forthcoming digital channels. That's when ITC came back to ITV along with the Rank Library and a lot of other content. ITV cherry pick the well known movies to release on Bluray then leave Network with the rest and even now ITV's 18 Carry On movies still get repeated in SD.
As ever, ITV have a very blinkered view of whats popular so we have to be thankful for Network otherwise all we would get from ITV is Morse, Foyle, Lewis, Sherlock Holmes , Frost etc. Any tv stuff from before the 80's is a non starter.
I would say the reissue of the Anderson shows is as much as we'll get from them
Old 1st January 2016, 02:42 PM
Aquaphibian

I had forgotten about UFO - which definitely does have an active ITV release unless it's very recently/will shortly be deleted, I guess. If that happens, I guess we can presume that a Network Stingray/Captain Scarlet release is not imminent given the recent repackaging exercise those two series have had.
Old 1st January 2016, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I had forgotten about UFO - which definitely does have an active ITV release unless it's very recently/will shortly be deleted, I guess. If that happens, I guess we can presume that a Network Stingray/Captain Scarlet release is not imminent given the recent repackaging exercise those two series have had.
It wouldn't surprise me if Network get the Bluray while ITV stick to the dvd's given their apparent lack of interest in releasing material on Bluray.

To get any of these on Bluray means ITV commissioning restorations so some financial input from Network might be the nudge they need to get started as once the restorations are done it means they are available for Bluray licencing to other countries and they can also start selling HD for broadcast.
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:14 AM
General Strond

Default Cost

I wonder what it actually costs to turn
Stingray
Scarlet
Joe
Secret Service into blu ray

Might be worth a kickstarter campaign

Somehow I feel its never going to happen
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonitis View Post
I wonder what it actually costs to turn
Stingray
Scarlet
Joe
Secret Service into blu ray

Might be worth a kickstarter campaign

Somehow I feel its never going to happen
Thanks to Network some episodes already have on the Supermarionation boxset.
It's a given that HD masters for some if not all of these shows will eventually turn up if ITV want to continue to sell them to tv - assuming there are countries that still show them.
What's less likely are Bluray releases from ITV who don't even have enough confidence in the market to release things like Morse, Frost etc on the format.
Network have no similar qualms and are clever enough to realise the value of these shows in HD so even if their current 10 year deal with ITV fails to deliver Bluray upgrades for things like The Champions I would expect to see Captain Scarlet and perhaps one other on Bluray from Network.

A kickstarter campaign from an organisation the size of ITV wouldn't really sit well with anyone I don't think
ITV make more money in one peaktime ad break than it would cost to turn the whole series of Scarlet into HD I would say. That's not what's holding them up. They're looking at how long it will take for such a restoration to turn a profit. Which it won't on a single UK Bluray release and with nobody looking to repeat them here either.
I expect that's also the reason their vast archive of classic movies is taking so long to appear in HD

Even in this day and age where content is king ITV still by and large go for the quick buck.

Last edited by phelings; 2nd January 2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 3rd January 2016, 12:52 PM
Aquaphibian

Are we sure that HD masters for the whole lot don't exist?

With Blu-ray, I think it's safe to presume that ITV tested the water with Thunderbirds and found it tepid. If a Blu ray release happens, I expect it will happen somewhere else in the world before here.
Old 3rd January 2016, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are we sure that HD masters for the whole lot don't exist?

With Blu-ray, I think it's safe to presume that ITV tested the water with Thunderbirds and found it tepid. If a Blu ray release happens, I expect it will happen somewhere else in the world before here.
No we're not sure but I would have thought that if they did exist then Fanderson or someone somewhere would make it known.

ITV screwed up Thunderbirds from day one.
They messed about adding the new sound effects so even the dvd's were wrong then they released them on Bluray in 16:9.
Had ITV asked anybody beforehand what not to do I'm sure both of those would have been mentioned.
The cropped Blu was universally panned but ITV are too dumb to realise it was their fault the series might not have sold as well as it could.

Unfortunately I think ITV cater for their average viewer and most of them who lap up Morse, Frost, Foyle, Lewis etc probably don't even watch on the HD channel because they can't be bothered to look for it so Bluray over dvd is a non starter
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:01 PM
Aquaphibian

Wasn't Gerry Anderson on board with Carlton when they were initially preparing his series for DVD release?
Old 4th January 2016, 07:44 PM
Spacehawk

It doesn't matter if you do watch ITV HD, Thunderbirds Are Go is not transmitted in HD!
Old 4th January 2016, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
It doesn't matter if you do watch ITV HD, Thunderbirds Are Go is not transmitted in HD!
It was when I recorded the first episode and I would think others aired on ITV HD outside the kids simulcast would be too. ( but that was only 1 or 2 more IIRC)

Didn't bother after that. I do recall that when it moved to 830 it appeared that ITV were rather stupidly feeding the ITV HD channel with the SD feed from CITV channel rather than doing what they should have done and airing them in HD but downscaled on the sd channel

Last edited by phelings; 4th January 2016 at 10:02 PM.