Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > The Bringers of Wonder

Notices

Old 15th March 2016, 09:50 AM
Slomo

Default Captain Scarlet 50th Anniversary Blu Ray?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but does anyone know if there are plans afoot to release CSATM on blu ray next year? It seems like an opportune time to put the series out in HD. I know some episodes were remastered for the recent Supermarionation Blu ray set, so some of the work has already been done. Does anyone have further info on this?

Thanks!
Old 15th March 2016, 10:08 AM
Main Mission Operative

Although I don't have any details upon a potential full Blu-ray release, but it is definitely something they should put forward for the 50th anniversary. Give me some time to think of some wonderful ideas for the "Special Features".
Old 15th March 2016, 01:06 PM
General Strond

Default That would make my year

If they released Scarlet on blu ray

Blu ray is incredible

Its like the old episodes were filmed on grimy lens & then someone gave them a wipe
Old 15th March 2016, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonitis View Post
If they released Scarlet on blu ray

Blu ray is incredible

Its like the old episodes were filmed on grimy lens & then someone gave them a wipe
Only if you are watching ITV versions from the 80's.
I find the dvd's to be excellent for their time just as most of the Carlton Anderson dvd sets are very good.

But as the HD boxset episodes show , a nice new restoration would be very welcome although I hope they retain the 5.1 track from the dvd's as this was a nice addition at the time (original mono too of course).

It seems unlikely that Networks new 10 year deal (over a year old now IIRC) would not include Bluray upgrades for the most important series.
ITV may not like the fact but they do need to upgrade their archive to HD where possible in order to keep selling programmes to broadcasters for repeats. ITV have been woefully slow at upgrading their significant movie archive so I hope Networks involvement in getting some income from new HD masters might wake ITV up to the fact they have a lot of content to be getting on with.

The 50th Anniversary seems logical but would Network go for Scarlet before filling the huge gap left by ITV's incompetent Bluray of Thunderbirds?
Old 25th May 2016, 10:57 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
ITV may not like the fact but they do need to upgrade their archive to HD where possible in order to keep selling programmes to broadcasters for repeats.
It concerns me a bit that sales to broadcasters have been very sparse recently. There have been 2 waves of popularity in my lifetime, the early 90s and the early 00s - surely another BBC airing would be a good idea?

If ITV could let them have it cheap or free even they would reap the rewards in merchandise licensing once again.
Old 26th May 2016, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
It concerns me a bit that sales to broadcasters have been very sparse recently. There have been 2 waves of popularity in my lifetime, the early 90s and the early 00s - surely another BBC airing would be a good idea?

If ITV could let them have it cheap or free even they would reap the rewards in merchandise licensing once again.
I think the last time any puppet shows were on was a good few years back on the sci fi channel when they aired the ITV 16:9 versions of Thunderbirds. I think they might have aired one other series too but I can't recall whether it was Stingray or not.

ITV4 did show 1999 but that must be a decade ago now.
Old 26th May 2016, 04:17 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I think the last time any puppet shows were on was a good few years back on the sci fi channel when they aired the ITV 16:9 versions of Thunderbirds. I think they might have aired one other series too but I can't recall whether it was Stingray or not.

ITV4 did show 1999 but that must be a decade ago now.
I caught a random showing of Joe 90 on "Syfy" as it had by then become in 2011. I think by then it was just used as schedule padding when they showed films of odd lengths and whatnot.

But yeah, crazy that no channel is showing it - then again Classic Doctor Who wasn't shown for a good 7 or 8 years between UKTV Drama becoming 'Alibi' (and dropping everything except Crime) and then Watch showing a few followed by the Horror Channel.

Both BBC Two and BBC Four have huge holes in their schedule which they struggle to fill - surely this would be a great way to fill them cheaply? Or do ITV want a king's ransom for it?
Old 26th May 2016, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I caught a random showing of Joe 90 on "Syfy" as it had by then become in 2011. I think by then it was just used as schedule padding when they showed films of odd lengths and whatnot.

But yeah, crazy that no channel is showing it - then again Classic Doctor Who wasn't shown for a good 7 or 8 years between UKTV Drama becoming 'Alibi' (and dropping everything except Crime) and then Watch showing a few followed by the Horror Channel.

Both BBC Two and BBC Four have huge holes in their schedule which they struggle to fill - surely this would be a great way to fill them cheaply? Or do ITV want a king's ransom for it?
It's sad to say it but for a long time archive tv just won't pull in the viewers.
Even in the 90's UK Gold were restricted by union rules into not showing anything less than 10 years old ( bar a few exceptions like Eastenders). It was a great time for archive tv collectors but as soon as the rules were relaxed UK Gold became BBC1+ 6 months simply because viewers wanted more recent material.
Bravo found the same and ended their intended 5 year deal with ITC after 18 months and while Granada+ did their best in airing some 70's VT drama much of it ended up unfinished or stuck in daytime while the filmed series like The Professionals and Dempsey and Makepeace took over.

I was chuffed when Drama started showing Dr Who as at that point there were many stories not out on dvd so I was able to fill all my Tom Baker gaps. Originally they aired it twice a day ( or even 3 times) but as the screenings progressed the teatime screening got scrapped and a late night one also ended and it ended up being aired around 4am. As BBC2 found on a more than one occasion vintage Dr Who didn't cut it anymore.

I doubt that any of the puppet shows apart from Thunderbirds would generate enough interest on any of the niche channels and I think the fact that ITV themselves have not aired any of them in the obvious place of the CITV channel indicates they have no faith in them.

BBC4 would be a good place but as with all their archive screenings bar TOTP they usually air one or two episodes to back up a documentary. I couldn't see them committing to a complete run.
The channel seems to have changed a bit since the days they aired The Avengers , The New Avengers and 2 seasons of Batman.

ITV do own enough material to have one if not two archive channels. They own masses of movies and while they once made use of them with Carlton Cinema they don't seem interested in either broadcasting them or upgrading most of them to HD.
60 years of ITV sits in the vaults ( I guess over 10 years is lost or wiped though) and the ITC shows are an important part but I think as those who work in tv get younger the interest in these old shows reduces and rightly or wrongly they think that there are not enough viewers out there who would be interested in watching any of this stuff for more than one or two episodes.

The public are fickle and I'm sure if BBC2 made as much noise about Thunderbirds again and screened it in a teatime slot it would be a success again but if the public have to put any effort in to find it or its one of the less mainstream channels it would likely pass by unnoticed by the masses

For the same reason some people just won't bother if something is B&W there are others who won't bother if its more than few years old.
Made in the 60's? Forget it

Last edited by phelings; 26th May 2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 27th May 2016, 10:42 AM
Aquaphibian

Seems a shame. Last time I checked BBC Two were filling the afternoons until 6pm with daytime content timeshifted from BBC One - surely a little bit of a bravery with something like Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet would be worth trying if the price was right? The children of 1993 and 2002 are parents now, time to pass it on I reckon.
Old 27th May 2016, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Seems a shame. Last time I checked BBC Two were filling the afternoons until 6pm with daytime content timeshifted from BBC One - surely a little bit of a bravery with something like Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet would be worth trying if the price was right? The children of 1993 and 2002 are parents now, time to pass it on I reckon.
Unfortunately the change to mostly timeshifted BBC1 was a direct result of the BBC2 budget being cut 2 or 3 years back.

With all of the BBC's kids shows being moved to CBBC/ CBeebies I'm not sure the BBC still have a suitable slot where viewers would expect to find Anderson shows anymore.
But they seem perfectly suitable for airing on CITV.
ITV own them all outright so there would be no need to buy them in as the BBC would so why they don't try them out I don't know.

But with tv channels scared to death to find Twitter users whining about offence they might keep them off for reasons as stupid as the characters smoking and how violent they are. Remember the ruckus made when a 15 year old episode of Tweenies (I think it was that) appeared a year or two ago because one of the characters did an impression of Jimmy Savile - as if the average Tweenie viewer would realise. That's how stupid Twitter users are.

And remember BBC1 edited Joe 90 for violence 20 years ago and while BBC2 didn't edit Scarlet there were little moans going around at the level of violence in Scarlet with some of the deaths. Commentators seemed unable to comprehend they were watching puppets

Last edited by phelings; 27th May 2016 at 08:39 PM.