Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 11th October 2018, 04:45 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
In fairness to all involved, unless the BBC were airing it (as they were in the early 90s and then the early 00s) I very much doubt Blue Peter would cover it.
True, I suppose (although I wasn't being altogether serious, it just popped into my head as I was writing).

Also, I think it should be remembered that it's unlikely that the people commissioning a series are the ones who, many months or even a year or more later, are the ones scheduling it. In the case of TBAG, I can only assume that the schedulers, once they'd had a good look at series 1, must have thought "What the hell are we gonna do with this garbage?" Richard Farrell did a really funny TBAG series 1 parody episode guide in Andersonic - and hopefully there'll be more to come! If there was more TBAG coverage like that in FAB, I don't think there would be quite as many complaints!

But to get back onto the subject of Thunderbirds Beyond the Horizon,

Producers Limelight Productions and ebp said today, “Our ambition is to deliver a visually and technically rich world to immerse our audiences in, utilising cutting-edge technologies and creative opportunities. To achieve our ambitions to the level of detail and complexity needed, we decided to build our own venue, The Buzz.

Sounds like a colossal undertaking. By the end of 2019 is it realistic to expect that kids (surely the prime target audience for Thunderbirds) will still be interested in TBAG? If indeed they are now...
Old 11th October 2018, 05:48 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica;32801 If there was more TBAG coverage like [I
that [/I]in FAB, I don't think there would be quite as many complaints!

Sounds like a colossal undertaking. By the end of 2019 is it realistic to expect that kids (surely the prime target audience for Thunderbirds) will still be interested in TBAG? If indeed they are now...
Plenty of genuine TAG content coming up, including series 3 episode guide and other surprises, so afraid some folks will have to simply cut those pages out and use them as a little shield against anyone who dares say anything positive about the show...

Lots of kids cosplaying as TAG characters in Leicester last month, and lots more who had brought their TAG toys, so I'd say the prime target audience isn't going anywhere (neither are the adult fanbase come to that), especially with those handy reruns, something TOS doesn't have the luxury of outside Twitch.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 11th October 2018, 07:44 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Grant View Post
Someone are Facebook declared the weekend was watched by 7 million people. I take it that was bollocks, was it?
If it's accurate that's quite a good figure although how well that would translate to people paying to see it would be interesting.
I wonder how many units the US Bluray set of the series sold. I'm guessing a much lower figure
Old 11th October 2018, 07:45 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
I don't think that any of us could have predicted that ITV would take the incredible decision to commission series 2 and 3 before series 1 had even aired, based upon the assumption that it would be a huge hit. It wasn't, but I imagine it was too late to back out by then. Certainly it seems to me that a) ITV have more or less buried the series (perhaps out of embarrassment) in various 'graveyard' slots for most of its run. b) It hasn't made a meaningful impression anywhere. Or perhaps I have just missed Blue Peter making a Tracy Island and getting swamped with requests for the details! Can't fault the original series, even today it has class, but TBAG is just 'urgh!'. Which is why an unholy mash-up of the two is just asking for trouble.
I agree but I think ITV's decision to commission 2 further series before series 1 aired was based purely on what I said in the other post. Once they'd invested, it made sense to make up the numbers because regardless of how naff it was with 78 episodes kids channels everywhere will be happy to air it

Last edited by shermeen; 11th October 2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11th October 2018, 07:47 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Plenty of genuine TAG content coming up, including series 3 episode guide and other surprises, so afraid some folks will have to simply cut those pages out and use them as a little shield against anyone who dares say anything positive about the show...

Lots of kids cosplaying as TAG characters in Leicester last month, and lots more who had brought their TAG toys, so I'd say the prime target audience isn't going anywhere (neither are the adult fanbase come to that), especially with those handy reruns, something TOS doesn't have the luxury of outside Twitch.
Can't say I've seen any comments regarding the latest issue of FAB complaining about the lack of TAG coverage - quite the opposite in fact.
But at least now it's ending that might also mean the end of wasted pages in FAB
Old 11th October 2018, 08:23 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
But at least now it's ending that might also mean the end of wasted pages in FAB
Well you'd think so, but that's not the case

Old 11th October 2018, 10:08 PM
The Snake

At £10 a copy Fanderson really need to put in FAB what the majority wants. Just because you are a huge fan does not mean most of us are.

Keith
Old 11th October 2018, 10:11 PM
Spacehawk

Well if more fans want to contribute their own content, I say that's a great idea!

Old 11th October 2018, 10:33 PM
Butler

Would people honestly prefer a Thunderbirds show wasn't being made?
Old 12th October 2018, 01:27 AM
Spacehawk

Everything I've heard about the Beyond the Horizon show suggests that the producers seemed to be relying on a gimmicky approach, rather than devising something with a solid storyline that would engage audiences. There's enough potential in the series format - particularly through the use of ingenious stagecraft - to result in a brilliant stage show. The trouble is this requires skill and talent rather than shallow showmanship.

Last edited by air terrainean; 12th October 2018 at 01:32 AM.