Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 28th February 2019, 09:33 PM
The Snake

Thanks. Good intentions I'm sure but I will reserve judgement until it appears.

Keith
Old 28th February 2019, 10:22 PM
Moid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
Personally, I think that the Mysteron 'duplicates' were a bad idea - much better if they could just kill someone and then just bring them back from the dead under Mysteron control. Strangely, this appears to be what happens to Captain Black in the first episode and from then on he is virtually a zombie mouthpiece for the Mysterons on Earth. Scarlet is, as stated, a totally different matter.

There are, of course, episodes in which dead bodies or wreckage of a recreated person or object alert Spectrum to the Mysteron plan, but on balance it would probably have been better not to have left all this 'evidence' lying around!

The indestructibility is another aspect of Captain Scarlet that is not explained - especially as other Mysteron agents and Mysteronised vehicles, etc, seem not to be.

CS and the Mysterons is a brilliant series, but perhaps needed a few more tweaks here and there. Ideas are thrown in and then never really used again - such as the Mysteron's susceptibility to high voltage electricity and the Spectrum anti-Mysteron electron gun. My theory here is that the Mysteronised body can be killed, but a huge charge of electricity will stop it from Retrometabolising and coming back to life. In this respect, what we are never really shown is one of our heroes zapping a 'dead' Mysteron with the electron gun to stop him (or her) coming back and trying again! In the case of Captain Scarlet, perhaps it's best not to dwell on the fact that he is a replica rather than the real thing. In every respect he is identical to his murdered real-self with the added indestructibility which makes him a pretty useful guy to have around. Some have speculated that it was Scarlet's incredible will to survive that allowed him to shrug off the Mysteron influence and regain/obtain control of his mind and body. Maybe this is as good an explanation as any. I'm sure that Fred McNamara's forthcoming book will contain plenty to get our teeth into, as have all those that have preceded it. But ultimately, I think the Mysterons will always remain a mystery.
Ta-daaaah!
My thought on this is perhaps it took the Mysterons the first couple of attempts at applying "retrometabolism" on humans before they got what they wanted or decided what to do:

Capt Black was "converted" on Mars and hence done "locally" - but where did the rest of the Zero-X crew go? Did they get destroyed completely in the first attempts and Capt Black was the first one that "worked". It's also possible he was also given specific capabilty to control/communicate with others that had been replicated - hence why he was specifically sent back to Earth.

Captains Scarlet and Brown were then the first to be duplicated at a distance on Earth - with Brown being turned into some sort of "bomb" and Scarlet being a refinement of what was done to Black.

When he fell and the link was somehow broken it became apparent to the Mysterons they'd done too good a job and essentially made the duplicate "indestructible", and also so good a copy that he had all of Scarlets memories and personality intact, and also created in such a way that the control link could not be re-established.

Having learnt that lesson any duplicates after that were done differently and only designed to last for an initial mission - they all ended up getting killed, so we'll never know if they also had a limited life coded into them as well to stop them turning into another Scarlet etc.

No real evidence for any of the above, but it does provide a rationale that perhaps wasn't even needed at the time.

FAB_61

Last edited by FAB_61; 28th February 2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 1st March 2019, 04:28 PM
Spacehawk

I have it on good authority that the Captain Scarlet book is now 100% finished, is with the publishers and will be published this year. So, 2019 should be a good year for Anderson-related books, as we have 'Space: 1999 The Vault' too!
Old 1st March 2019, 09:37 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
I have it on good authority that the Captain Scarlet book is now 100% finished, is with the publishers and will be published this year. So, 2019 should be a good year for Anderson-related books, as we have 'Space: 1999 The Vault' too!
That's good news then.

Thinking about the authors mentioning interviews on his page reminds me to ask why we are still waiting for Fandersons own documentary on the Anderson series. From what we've read the arrival of the SLR documentary has not changed plans to release this one which seems to have been in production for over 20 years. They can't be waiting to do more interviews surely and a lot of those interviewed already have long since died so why the delay.
You can't have too many Anderson documentaries