Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go Episode Reviews > Thunderbirds Are Go! - Series 2 - Episode Reviews

Notices

Old 14th October 2016, 06:06 AM
R.A.T.

Default TAG Season 2 - General Discussion

Hi Everyone,

Season 2 of Thunderbirds Are Go is almost here, so a new forum has been created for episode reviews.

This topic is for general discussion on this particular season. Impressions, ideas, views on the direction the season is heading in.

Thunderbirds Are Go returns to ITV
Saturday 22nd October at 3.30pm!

Youtube Link: - Season 2 Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_59itAEXo9s

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 28th October 2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 16th October 2016, 08:19 PM
Aquaphibian

Hi Thunderbird 2 - Thanks for setting this up.

I'm interested in seeing where this series goes in terms of overall story arc; and also in seeing if ITV/Pukeko/Weta have taken on board any of the comments that were made about series 1 (from the evidence already out there it appears there is more model work in S2 for example).

I'd hope however that we can have a reasoned discussion about "what works and what doesn't", "good story vs bad story" etc in the context of the series - rather than it all turning into a "it's not the same as the original, therefore it's garbage" argument.

I'm old enough to have seen the original Thunderbirds when it was first shown and I love it and everything that it achieved - but I'm also prepared to accept this new series as a product of today and assess it in those terms.

6 days and counting........

FAB_61
Old 28th October 2016, 08:04 PM
R.A.T.

Thanks FAB 61, the support is appeciated!

I know how you feel -after the original Star Wars, Classic Thunderbirds was my big find on home video in the late eighties, and I loved the series from the off. The characters, the vehicles and the ideas. I am proud to say that in spite of the odd duff episode here and there, I love Thunderbirds Are Go 2015, and see it standing alongside the original series, while in its own way saluting it.

Here's hoping we have an interesting and engaging season 2.
Old 13th November 2016, 12:12 PM
Aquaphibian

Well, we're 5 episodes in and, on the whole, I think the new series is working well.

I think City Under the Sea is the "stand out" episode so far and was marvelously well executed in terms of story and the effects were very well done. Earthbreaker was also very strong in all respects.

The others have also all been pretty good, and better than a fair few of the series 1 stories. Yesterday's "Colony" was well written and paced - with the humour working well, rather than seeming out of place.

We've had a fair few space and underwater stories so far, which I suspect/hope will be balanced out in the rest of the series as we've not seen a lot of TB 1.2 and 2,2 (and more "pods") yet.

What I am wondering about is how much model work is being used vs CGI - there are definitely scenes where the vehicles seem to be models (TB 2.2 crash landing being one - but I think other parts of Earthbreaker were done with models as well).

Either way, the integration between the two seems to be a lot better than it was in some of the Series 1 episodes - whether we'll ever see any proper " behind the scenes" photos or programmes to show how it was all done is a good question, as a minimum it's crying out for a "making of" book from Weta.

With what looks like a great 2 parter coming up I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

FAB_61

Last edited by FAB_61; 13th November 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 13th November 2016, 04:03 PM
Spacehawk

In terms of models, TB2 crashing definitely was, the D103 vehicle was too, as was the Earthbreaker. There are models of TB4 and FAB1 as well, but I'm not 100% sure we've seen them in action yet.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 13th November 2016, 04:28 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
In terms of models, TB2 crashing definitely was, the D103 vehicle was too, as was the Earthbreaker. There are models of TB4 and FAB1 as well, but I'm not 100% sure we've seen them in action yet.
Hi Hiram,

Thanks for the reply.

Must admit I've got a suspicion that the TB 4.2 and FAB 1.2 models were used for some of the shots in "City Under the Sea", and that the Mechanics "Crab" machine was as well.

There was a also a point in yesterdays episode where the Helius seems to bend a bit - that was either a very clever bit of CGI or the model flexing as it was moved.

Regards

FAB_61

Last edited by FAB_61; 13th November 2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 18th November 2016, 10:41 PM
R.A.T.

Sorry I have been a bit quiet compared to usual guys - a lot going on at my end. Hopefully I will have my reviews for both 2.5 and 2.6 done on Sunday evening.

So far I am puzzled by how much screen time both Thunderbird 3.2 and Thunderbird 4.2 have been getting, and we have had little screen time for the others. I don't mind seeing the rocket and yellow submarine, I'm very fond of them both, but it makes me suspicious that something is going on across the season arc with the others - especially Thunderbird 2.2. Considering we still have 3 modules that have unknown contents, (I think we can assume Module 3 is the Thunderbird 2's pod 2 with the grabs) I can't help but be suspicious about what may be revealed, when so to speak.

The writing is already better than in Season 1, I agree that "City Under The Sea" stands out a mile. - The revelation it was a Lady P and Parker episode as well as Gordon and Kayo was wonderful from my perspective.

The second two-parter of the series begins tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what it brings us.

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 19th November 2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Correcting Thunderbird 2.3 to Thunderbird 3.2.
Old 19th November 2016, 12:51 AM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
Sorry I have been a bit quiet compared to usual guys - a lot going on at my end. Hopefully I will have my reviews for both 2.5 and 2.6 done on Sunday evening.

So far I am puzzled by how much screen time both Thunderbird 2.3 and Thunderbird 4.2 have been getting, and we have had little screen time for the others. I don't mind seeing the rocket and yellow submarine, I'm very fond of them both, but it makes me suspicious that something is going on across the season arc with the others - especially Thunderbird 2.2. Considering we still have 3 modules that have unknown contents, (I think we can assume Module 3 is the Thunderbird 2's pod 2 with the grabs) I can't help but be suspicious about what may be revealed, when so to speak.

The writing is already better than in Season 1, I agree that "City Under The Sea" stands out a mile. - The revelation it was a Lady P and Parker episode as well as Gordon and Kayo was wonderful from my perspective.

The second two-parter of the series begins tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what it brings us.
Must admit I've also been wondering about the bias towards TB3.2 and 4.2 in the episodes so far - my main suspicion is that it's story arc related and it's building for something after the up coming 2 parter.

My other theory is that it's related to effects - I liked the Series 1 episodes with TB4.2 in particular because the "shimmer" effect that was added to the underwater shots helped to blend the CGI and model backdrops together, and (by their nature) the space stuff with TB3.2 was virtually all CGI and tended to look good.

Where there were more "issues" was in trying to combine the CGI TB1.2 and 2.2 into the model backdrops - they did a good job and achived a specific "look" but for every "great" shot there seemed to be a poor one as well.

Hence why I'm wondering if they've done the production scheduling and stories to allow more time for the TB1.2 and 2.2 effects work - especially if there is going to be more model work involved in those episodes. Even if there is still a majority of CGI there is clearly some evidence that even that has been "re-tooled" - the level of detail shown with the views into TB4.2 cockpit for example is far more detailed than in Series 1.

I suspect I'm reading too much into all of this but, given what is coming up, the series is definitely gaining momentum and seems to have an idea where it's going.

I'm hoping were going to see some amazing work in the remaining episodes.

FAB_61

Last edited by FAB_61; 19th November 2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 8th April 2017, 05:17 PM
R.A.T.

While we are waiting for season 2.2 to arrive, I was wondering if any regular reviewers have had any new or updated thoughts regarding TAG-15?
Here are a few of mine.

1) The ongoing naff humour and The consequences. - It's just not funny!
I really wish the characters of Fischler and LeMaire were put in their place and dropped, in favour of the likes of Colonel Casey, Professor Moffat, Dr Peck. Captain Taylor's second appearance suggests an attempt at this which nearly works. - We need more standard disaster rescue stories with appropriate characters, such as The Sullivan Family and Horse Williams.
If Fischler and LeMaire have to reappear, let them be punished for their misdeeds. If TAG-15 really is a "kiddie" show, it should take some such responsibility.

2) Lack of big and hefty rescue vehicles.
The multi-ratchet-set pod vehicles are a clever idea, but its getting overused, in a somewhat underwhelming way.
I would not drop the explorer pod (snow version) or heli-pod, but they are not the Mole, Firefly or The Recovery Vehicles. We need a bit of both! Especially as vehicles like the recovery vehicles and elevator cars may be needed in larger numbers, as per TOS.

3) The Plot Holes
A lot of support aspects are missing, and explained away as the GDF. Where are the police? Do the Fire Brigade still exist? We never see the medical services.
What is the everyday world like? These are things neatly filled out in the classic series that we could do with seeing in TAG-15.
We also have the slack security, out of character dialogue and instant plot devices of the moment. Its a sad contrast to the classic series.
These things can all be fixed and tightened up in the writing.

On the other hand...

A) CGI Integration.
Has definitely improved no end. The vehicles fit into the environments much better than the start of the series.
This is true of the characters too. On different occasions Kayo, Lady P, Scott, Virgil and Parker have had really good moments of shock, annoyance or determination matching the actors performances in those scenes. The launches of the various vehicles look good, and are standing up to the sharper detail of the modern tv screen.

B) The Music.
Has always been brilliant! However in Season 2 certain scores have an increased boost from the use of a larger orchestra. The music all through Impact is a great example.

C) Pacing.
The flow of stories has improved a bit. Although the stories are still a bit hyper, they are a bit better at balancing the character moments with the action. This means when we get good character moments they stand out all the more.

D) Space the not so final frontier.
Although they have flaws, episodes like Ghost Ship and Impact demonstrate there is a greater understanding of how stories can be done using Thunderbirds 3.2 and 5.2, especially the latter. We don't need it done to death, but it seems to balance out the use of those vehicles.

E) Potential For More.
Dangerous territory, I don't want to build expectations. But if Shadow is a reinvented Thunderbird 6, then there is room for a Thunderbird 7 as well. Because it has the CGI, TAG-15 has given itself the option of doing things outside limitations TOS was stuck with.

Considering the improvements so far, I can only hope the Writers get a Nutomic Charge stuck up their CENSORED!!

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 8th April 2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10th April 2017, 08:15 AM
Protector

I agree about the pod / Module veichles. I'd love to see Firefly, as it was mentioned in season 1 that there is a Firefighting Module / Pod. I remember asking on the TBAG Facebook page if we'd see Firefly in Season 1 part 2 & the response was that we would. Not to worry though, hope that there's a chance to see it in Season 2 Part 2.