Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 23rd November 2018, 10:06 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDud88 View Post
Just got my copy today its visualy poor and when thebcredits come on there croped out so i dont thimk the screen is not showing everything.
Is that poor due to the traditional Network encoding issues or is it poor like all the dvd's have been due to the "false economy" process of the 90's in shooting on film but then moving to tape for editing?
Because of that process the series that used it always look pretty bad even at their best. My concern is whether Networks poor encoding has made it even worse.
Old 25th November 2018, 11:03 AM
Spacehawk

Got my Space Precinct CD yesterday (I haven't ordered the DVD set as I have the original UK release, which I haven't seen for many years).

I've listened to the first disc and to be honest I rather enjoyed it. The quieter moments are lovely, although the action/chase tracks (of which there are many) tend to consist of a great deal of slam-bang synth percussion which can get a bit tiring to listen to occasionally. But it all rattles along at great pace.

Merrell gave an interview to the now defunct Music from the Movies magazine back in 1995 where he described the process of scoring for the series, getting as much memory into his samplers as possible so that he could get 'quality sounds' out of them. In terms of his brief from Gerry Anderson, he said that all Gerry really specified was that he wanted to get tension and excitement and plenty of rhythm into the music.

The interview finished with the sentence: "...The music for Space Precinct will hopefully be available on CD in the near future...".

Only 23 years later...!

The booklet is a label of love, extremely detailed and - as I probably won't be re-watching the series itself any time soon - it's a big help to know what action and drama the music was illustrating. Quite an excellent piece of work by Network really. I'm unsure as to whether 4 CDs is required but for the relatively low cost it's a value for money purchase.