Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 17th June 2014, 01:25 PM
Jason Smith

Default Whatever happened to the nudity in Doppelganger ?

Just come across a copy of The Daily Mail for April 29th 1968 and the front page,no less, announces "Out goes Lady Penelope, in comes nude Gayle".

It's the build up to the start of filming on Doppelganger which announces Gerry & Sylvia switching to "X" certificate feature films !!! Doppelganger would be filled with sex and horror, it seems [at the time[.

Gayle Hunnicutt was cast as "the wife of the astronaut" and would appear nude. The plan was for the Andersons to make one adult-themed movie every year but it was also announced The Secret Service would start in 1969 with Stanley Unwin "who can change himself into a midget" !!!!
Old 17th June 2014, 07:45 PM
Jason Smith

Usual newspaper nonsense I assume - although I was hoping that you were about to say that you had the missing bits on dvd and could run me off a copy! lol

If I remember rightly there was some similar rubbish written when Terrahawks was first announced, with photos of the new sexy large-chested female characters printed in newspapers - which infact were figures that had been built by Martin Bower years earlier and were never actually going to be used in the show!
Old 17th June 2014, 09:18 PM
Spacehawk

Well, I'm not ashamed to say that I'd have paid good money to see Gayle Hunnicutt as a [naked] 'wife of an astronaut'.... she was remarkably 'perky' in the two episodes of Return of the Saint that she did ten years later - and that was with her clothes on.....

I remember seeing somewhere a photo of the somewhat voluptuous (ie large breasted) puppet character that Martin Bower did - wasn't it for a series of his own that he tried (and failed) to get off the ground? I remember seeing that figure and thinking crikey! (or words to that effect....)
Old 17th June 2014, 10:12 PM
Jason Smith

That would be "Starguard", methinks...

The evolution of these shows is often remarkable. I remember Gerry had embarked upon Terrahawks but had got very little done when some Japanese backers [maybe Bandai] announced their intention to visit to see how things were progressing.

Gerry got in touch with Phil Rae, desperate to get something made model-wise, and Phil turned to a large model he had already made for his own amusement. With some extra tinkering around this became Spacehawk....hence the reason why design-wise it sits uncomfortably with the other Terrahawk craft.
Old 18th June 2014, 08:25 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthunder View Post
Just come across a copy of The Daily Mail for April 29th 1968 and the front page,no less, announces "Out goes Lady Penelope, in comes nude Gayle".

It's the build up to the start of filming on Doppelganger which announces Gerry & Sylvia switching to "X" certificate feature films !!! Doppelganger would be filled with sex and horror, it seems [at the time[.

Gayle Hunnicutt was cast as "the wife of the astronaut" and would appear nude. The plan was for the Andersons to make one adult-themed movie every year but it was also announced The Secret Service would start in 1969 with Stanley Unwin "who can change himself into a midget" !!!!
I seem to remember talking to someone about Doppelganger - possibly John Read - and his saying that there were plans to film a shower scene with the Ross's that involved nudity, but that the idea was rejected by the director, Robert Parrish. Don't know if I can verify the story though.
Old 24th June 2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

If the director didn't veto it I'm sure Universal would have had it been shot.
Including scenes that would make the movie unavailable to 90%+ of the intended audience isn't good business.
Old 24th June 2014, 09:40 PM
General Strond

I seem to recall reading somewhere that doppleganger had a problem with the UK film classification/censorship board. Some stuff had to be cut.
Old 27th June 2014, 08:18 PM
Banned

I don't think nudity was involved.
I would suspect it may have been the footage referencing the Pill.
There's really nothing else to cut and the UK and US dvd versions are the same.

Strangely , there was a feature on the film in an issue of SIG which quoted a sequence the writer said had been edited out of the film yet it's been present in every version I've ever seen , from ITV broadcasts through to dvd.

IIRC it's where George Sewell tells Lynn Loring "I can and will stop you leaving Eurosec"
Old 27th June 2014, 09:43 PM
Zarin

Strange that it's always shown on TV or has dvd copies sold as 'Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun?? ------------it seems only in Fanderson is it described as 'Doppelganger' (it's European title?)
Old 28th June 2014, 04:25 AM
Zarin

That was the title on it's release here in the UK (hence why IMDb call it that), in the States & many other territories it was called Journey to... France, Germany & Italy are the notable exceptions:-
Quote:
Also Known As (AKA)

(original title) Doppelgänger
Brazil Odisséia para Além do Sol
Denmark Rumrejsen bag solen
Spain Más allá del sol
Finland Matka auringon taakse
Finland Matka auringon tuolle puolen
France Danger, plančte inconnue
Hungary Utazás a Nap túlsó oldalára
Italy Doppia immagine nello spazio
Mexico Más allá del sol
Portugal Viagem ao Outro Lado do Sol
USA Journey to the Far Side of the Sun
Venezuela Más allá del sol
West Germany Unfall im Weltraum

SIG is short for both my name and Spectrum Is Green!

Last edited by SimonG; 28th June 2014 at 04:28 AM.