Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 12th October 2018, 08:36 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
Does that imply that you would also avoid any other remakes/reboots or whatever of any of Gerry's ideas?
I would avoid them too. There's more than enough similar kids shows going on so I don't need any new ones. I enjoy the work of the Andersons - what they did and how they did it and new shows without their involvement hold no interest for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post

I've always wondered exactly what it is about TAG that gets everyone so wound up - the the extent that it seems to get hated just beacuse it's "not the original".
I don't think the show winds people up, it's the fact that as it has zero involvement from Gerry Anderson it has no place in a magazine or a fanclub setup to enjoy the work of Gerry and Sylvia.
A short piece on the show when it first aired, maybe even a basic episode guide would have been reasonable but page after page that doesn't get read is a waste of my time and money.
We all like each series to varying degrees so there are not problems if one of our lesser favourites gets pride of place in any issue - because we know its the work of Gerry & Co and it will always have something of interest no matter how minor.
A programme based on one of Gerry's series without his involvement is not an Anderson show.
Did Thunderbirds 2086 get similar treatment?

A few posts regarding the latest issue of FAB said it was nice to have nothing about TAG. I don't recall ever seeing complaints about no TAG coverage.
It's based on an Anderson idea but the bottom line is that as a CGI show it looks and sounds like a million others

Last edited by shermeen; 12th October 2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12th October 2018, 09:34 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
I don't think the show winds people up, it's the fact that as it has zero involvement from Gerry Anderson it has no place in a magazine or a fanclub setup to enjoy the work of Gerry and Sylvia.
A short piece on the show when it first aired, maybe even a basic episode guide would have been reasonable but page after page that doesn't get read is a waste of my time and money....

A programme based on one of Gerry's series without his involvement is not an Anderson show.
Hear, hear!
Old 12th October 2018, 09:54 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
Did Thunderbirds 2086 get similar treatment?
I believe there was a retrospective on TB2086 not so long ago (well, probably more like in the last 5 years, time flies), with new artwork and a look back at the characters and vehicles.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 12th October 2018, 11:10 PM
The Snake

Quote:
Specifically TAG though, what would have actually been "acceptable" to all those that don't like it? The main issues in my mind are:
Well if you are going to remake something it has to be at least as good as the original but preferably a lot better, otherwise it is waste of time. If you are doing it 50 years later, with the advances in technology, it should be one heck of a lot better.TAG is not!

Anderson always made his series as realistic as possible, therefore even with puppets you could suspend belief and concentrate on the stories as they had a lifelike appearance. The characters in TAG with their plasticine hair never give you a chance to suspend belief. Look at animation such as Jonny Quest for realistic drawn characters. Basic perhaps but actually more realistic and closer to what human beings actually look like. And that was the 60s.

My main dislike, however is with the visuals of the series with landscapes which would not look out of place on the Teletubbies, large heavy vehicles such as TB2 showing no sense of weight or heftiness at all and movements totally out of scale with the size of the vehicles. No attempt seems to be made to convince you you are looking at real vehicles. CGI mixed with real models are used all the time in films with no apparent jarring when you go from one to the other so nowadays that should not be a problem. Ideally you should not notice the switch.

Design is another place they fail. I appreciate they don't have a Meddings or Trim, but some of the design work is atrocious with box like vehicles certainly in the first few episodes. Although in the main I don't have a problem with the updated TB1, 2, 4 or even 5, but TB3 is just terrible. Looks like a toy not a real craft. The guest vehicles are equally uninspired.

The idea of common components to make the pod verhicles might have sounded good on paper, but in practice it removes a lot of suspense. One of the most anticipated moments in the original series was the introduction of the pod vehicle of the week. Usually an inovative, novel design but eminently plausible in the real world. Now they look all the same and to be honest cannot compete with the design work of the original series.

I found the whole visuals of the series too grating with no redeming features and is a poor imitation rip off of the series of 50 years ago. They only share the same name. As you might guess I couldn't bring myself to watch more than the first few episodes.

Keith

Last edited by saturnapollo; 13th October 2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:56 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
My main dislike, however is with the visuals of the series with landscapes which would not look out of place on the Teletubbies, large heavy vehicles such as TB2 showing no sense of weight or heftiness at all and movements totally out of scale with the size of the vehicles. No attempt seems to be made to convince you you are looking at real vehicles. CGI mixed with real models are used all the time in films with no apparent jarring when you go from one to the other so nowadays that should not be a problem. Ideally you should not notice the switch.

Design is another place they fail. I appreciate they don't have a Meddings or Trim, but some of the design work is atrocious with box like vehicles certainly in the first few episodes. Although in the main I don't have a problem with the updated TB1, 2, 4 or even 5, but TB3 is just terrible. Looks like a toy not a real craft. The guest vehicles are equally uninspired.

The idea of common components to make the pod verhicles might have sounded good on paper, but in practice it removes a lot of suspense. One of the most anticipated moments in the original series was the introduction of the pod vehicle of the week. Usually an inovative, novel design but eminently plausible in the real world. Now they look all the same and to be honest cannot compete with the design work of the original series.
How refreshing to have someone state (again, I know) their reasons behind their dislike in calm, rational, words, instead of what seems to be the main theme of those against Thunderbirds Are Go - that it's rubbish because Gerry Anderson wasn't involved.

I often wonder if, if events beyond anyone's control hadn't happened, and assuming he didn't take a Thunderbirds 2004 dislike to the show (which he may or may not have done, we'll never know), if Gerry Anderson had been involved in its production, would there have been the vitriolic dislike for the show? He gave Sir Richard Taylor of Pukeko Pictures and Weta Workshop the go ahead to attempt to make a remake. Do any of us know that he wouldn't have played a role in its production if his health had allowed it?

Like it or not, Gerry Anderson played a big part in Thunderbirds Are Go. Without his original concept, it wouldn't have been made. He was lucky that he was given a free hand to make the show that he wanted (aside from being told to change its length), a freedom that obviously the current team is unable to enjoy. As an example: The idea that children won't watch shows that are longer than the commercial thirty minutes is rubbish. I was once told by a friend that the 102 minutes long Disney film "Frozen" was "crack for kids." If the Pukeko Pictures team had been given a commercial hour to work their magic, I believe the scripts would have been much better paced and more logical. Those like Saturnapollo would still have disliked much about the visuals of the show, but at least they would have continued to have sound reasons for their dislike.

Okay, so Thunderbirds Are Go is not to everyone's taste. That's life and the powers that be weren't making it for most of us on this forum. That it may be taking up more space in the Fanderson universe than it warrants: possibly. That it has its faults: definitely. But at least it's something new. It came from Gerry Anderson's imagination and, like the original, was brought to the world thanks to the work and passion of a lot of other imaginative people.

Let's just agree to disagree, enjoy a robust and healthy debate about all of Gerry Anderson's shows' merits, accept each others' differing opinions, and be glad that we have been given the opportunity to share some of the most innovative shows on television.

Imagine what would have been said if we'd had the opportunity to critique Thunderbirds in a forum like this fifty odd years ago.
Old 13th October 2018, 09:15 AM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
Well if you are going to remake something it has to be at least as good as the original but preferably a lot better, otherwise it is waste of time. If you are doing it 50 years later, with the advances in technology, it should be one heck of a lot better.TAG is not!
For many that grew up with the original Thunderbirds series in the 60s, or during the 90s revival, it has remained a vivid and exciting childhood experience that created memories that have endured for decades. For many it sparked a fascination with the show and how it was made that has resulted in clubs like Fanderson. I doubt that many children who have only encountered Thunderbirds in the form of TAG will have similar memories or interest in years to come.

I remember going to the press launch screening of TAG full of expectation (particularly due to the WETA Workshop involvement) and sitting there at the end thoroughly let down by what I'd seen, which was largely style but no substance and with as much excitement and danger as somebody popping a balloon. I watched most of the first series in the hope that it would get better and grow on me...it didn't.

I am encouraged to hear that it wasn't featured in the latest edition of FAB. If things stay that way then it will be time for me to renew my subscription, which I gave up on a while back because of the saturation of TAG articles.

For a club that is supposed to be focused on the work of Gerry Anderson, it was really strange that so much time and space has been devoted to something that he had no hand in making, other than perhaps to keep ITV sweet and ensure ongoing product licences for the club.
Old 13th October 2018, 09:28 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purupuss View Post
How refreshing to have someone state (again, I know) their reasons behind their dislike in calm, rational, words, instead of what seems to be the main theme of those against Thunderbirds Are Go - that it's rubbish because Gerry Anderson wasn't involved.

I often wonder if, if events beyond anyone's control hadn't happened, and assuming he didn't take a Thunderbirds 2004 dislike to the show (which he may or may not have done, we'll never know), if Gerry Anderson had been involved in its production, would there have been the vitriolic dislike for the show? He gave Sir Richard Taylor of Pukeko Pictures and Weta Workshop the go ahead to attempt to make a remake. Do any of us know that he wouldn't have played a role in its production if his health had allowed it?

Like it or not, Gerry Anderson played a big part in Thunderbirds Are Go. Without his original concept, it wouldn't have been made. He was lucky that he was given a free hand to make the show that he wanted (aside from being told to change its length), a freedom that obviously the current team is unable to enjoy. As an example: The idea that children won't watch shows that are longer than the commercial thirty minutes is rubbish. I was once told by a friend that the 102 minutes long Disney film "Frozen" was "crack for kids." If the Pukeko Pictures team had been given a commercial hour to work their magic, I believe the scripts would have been much better paced and more logical. Those like Saturnapollo would still have disliked much about the visuals of the show, but at least they would have continued to have sound reasons for their dislike.

Okay, so Thunderbirds Are Go is not to everyone's taste. That's life and the powers that be weren't making it for most of us on this forum. That it may be taking up more space in the Fanderson universe than it warrants: possibly. That it has its faults: definitely. But at least it's something new. It came from Gerry Anderson's imagination and, like the original, was brought to the world thanks to the work and passion of a lot of other imaginative people.

Let's just agree to disagree, enjoy a robust and healthy debate about all of Gerry Anderson's shows' merits, accept each others' differing opinions, and be glad that we have been given the opportunity to share some of the most innovative shows on television.

Imagine what would have been said if we'd had the opportunity to critique Thunderbirds in a forum like this fifty odd years ago.
You wonder what TBAG would have been like had Gerry been involved. Just two points to make here:
1) Gerry was NOT involved, so why speculate?
2) If we MUST speculate, then I'll guess that it would have been much, much better.

You suggest that Gerry gave Richard Taylor 'the go ahead' to make it. Not true. 'The go ahead' came from ITV. As far as Gerry's 'Go ahead' went, it was no more than Gerry saying 'Good luck' to Richard when he met him briefly at Pinewood studios. Remember, Gerry was also hoping to get a new version of Thunderbirds off the ground and so it's unlikely that he would have given a rival producer 'the go ahead'.

TBAG has NOTHING to do with Gerry Anderson, other than taking his format and characters and making a pigs-ear out of them.

As far as TBAG coverage in FAB goes... my suggestion would be to print a small amount of TBAG coverage separately and then send it out to the six or seven people who are interested. That way FAB can concentrate on giving superlative coverage to 'proper' Gerry Anderson productions and other things of interest.
Old 13th October 2018, 09:31 AM
Zarin

When I interviewed Gerry sometime in the early 1990s, we talked about Thunderbirds, both on and off air... One of the things he said to me was that in a new series he would have had the Thunderbird Two Pod make the Rescue vehicles at the Danger Zone. Exactly what happens in this new series.

Also, in 1966, he wasn't that involved with much of the final six episodes as he was concentrating on Thunderbirds Are Go!

Something else Gerry said was that Thunderbirds was influenced by the time it was made. The 1960s was a very different world to what we have now, so this new series is going to be influenced by today. Not yesterday. Gerry would have done that too.

He said to me that he was a man of today's influence not yesterday! - As was evidenced in the New Captain Scarlet series.

For me I would have preferred a live action Thunderbirds with special effects as realistic as possible. Made for an older family audience. Gerry agreed, saying that he thought such a concept would be like a Star Wars juggernaut like franchise.

I like this new series, and for me it wasn't a disappointing wait of around 48 years.

That's my five penneth worth and what was said to me from Gerry Anderson himself.
Old 13th October 2018, 09:49 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purupuss View Post

And the winner for the most sensible two paragraphs written on the forum this year is....Purupuss!

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 13th October 2018, 12:18 PM
The Snake

Well, you did ask the question!

Keith