Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 21st May 2011, 08:08 PM
Jason Smith

Default Thunderbirds Are In The Mail

We all remember the full colour 'photonovel' of "Thunderbirds Are Go" in "TV21", the John Theydon novel...even the delightful Special magazine/brochure.

But I never see mentioned the black and white comic strip adaption which featured daily in "The Daily Mail" UK newspaper at the time the movie was first released ? As far as I know it has never been reprinted - does anyone even have copies ?

Each day I cut the strip out and stuck it in my scrapbook which sadly went missing years and years ago...

What do other Shades think ?
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:28 AM
Agent Blake

I do remember it, as my grandparents took the Daily Mail and used to cut it out and keep it for me - my copies too have long gone, though, as well, and I've never seen it since. A reprint (or scans) would be very welcome!

According to Andrew Pixley's excellent guide to comics in Time Screen, it ran from issue 21959 (5 December 1966) to 21981 (7 January 1967) - so was in 23 parts (assuming it was in every issue), and the art was by Don Lawrence...

Edit: I've just found that the Shaqui's Technodelic Gerry Anderson Complete Comic History website has a page about this here, which says it ran until issue 21986, so maybe 21981 was a misprint in the Time Screen article (the date us the same), making it 28 parts - some of which are reproduced in the article.

Mike D

Last edited by MikeD; 22nd May 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:59 AM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthunder View Post
But I never see mentioned the black and white comic strip adaption which featured daily in "The Daily Mail" UK newspaper at the time the movie was first released ? As far as I know it has never been reprinted - does anyone even have copies ?
The Zero-X strip has been reprinted by the Dutch Don Lawrence Collection in the Netherlands in 2001 (in Dutch). I Don't know if the book is still available, it's ISBN nr. is 90-73508-22-3. Is't in The Don Lawrence collection part 12.

I just checked their website: this book (in Dutch) is still for sale: http://www.donlawrence.co.uk/shop/index.php?hg=2&sg=4

Last edited by hwels; 22nd May 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:47 PM
Jason Smith

Call me Mr Embarrased - it was ME who published the TimeScreen guide and, of course, I should've looked at Shaqui's fabulous site as well ! The images are precisely how I remember the strip but I didn't know it was by Don Lawrence - not that I'd have cared much at age 11.

I guess I was hoping to flush out someone who had the strips in a scrapbook like I did...
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:11 PM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthunder View Post
Call me Mr Embarrased - it was ME who published the TimeScreen guide and, of course, I should've looked at Shaqui's fabulous site as well ! The images are precisely how I remember the strip but I didn't know it was by Don Lawrence - not that I'd have cared much at age 11.

I guess I was hoping to flush out someone who had the strips in a scrapbook like I did...
Someone did send me photocopies of them all once... these were used on the GACCH guide, supplemented with material from the British Library.
Old 25th May 2011, 05:13 AM
R.A.T.

So does anyone actually possess any originals? I get the impression even the ones given to me were copies from the British Library microfilm versions?

And did this strip ever get syndicated elsewhere?