Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 15th April 2012, 08:01 PM
Paradox Pilot

Default Captain Scarlet Test Transmission in Spring 1967

I remember being fascinated by an account in the 1990s Boxtree Captain Scarlet book of a viewer accidentally seeing the first episode of Captain Scarlet as a test transmission in around April 1967. Is there any truth in this? It seems odd that ABC or Rediffusion carried out a test transmission of the first episode of a series that wasn't yet completed.

I know a lot about test broadcasts, but as far as I knew, they normally only consisted of trade test films and of course test cards and not actual episodes of a series.

I also seem to recall that the person who saw the alleged test transmission applied for a job at Century 21. I wonder if he got the job?
Old 7th July 2012, 01:24 PM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick O'Shea View Post
I remember being fascinated by an account in the 1990s Boxtree Captain Scarlet book of a viewer accidentally seeing the first episode of Captain Scarlet as a test transmission in around April 1967. Is there any truth in this? It seems odd that ABC or Rediffusion carried out a test transmission of the first episode of a series that wasn't yet completed.

I know a lot about test broadcasts, but as far as I knew, they normally only consisted of trade test films and of course test cards and not actual episodes of a series.

I also seem to recall that the person who saw the alleged test transmission applied for a job at Century 21. I wonder if he got the job?
I thought it was Chris Spencer, applying for a job at Century 21 Publishing at Fleet Street?
Old 5th September 2012, 01:52 PM
Lab Monkey

I cannot answer your question but, just to confuse things, my recollection is that I first saw Captain Scarlet one lunchtime (in the ATV region) watching the first five minutes of Avalanche before having to return to school. This is unlikely to have been before September 1967, since that was probably when I started infants' school.

Unless the whole thing is a figment of my imagination, which I must admit I'm beginning to suspect it is, it must have been announced in advance, since there's no way that I would normally have switched on the TV at lunch time.
Old 6th September 2012, 05:33 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

I may be about to confuse the issue even more. I clearly remember watching Scarlet for the first time. I was about 5 and it was it's first London region transmition, and I remember talking about it at school the next day with my then equally young best friend Chris, and although only one episode had been shown, I clearly remember us talking about it like it was something we knew was on the way, and it had finally arived. How or why we knew this I don't know. That's where my memory lets me down. I don't know if my post has helped or hindered, but I thought it best to mention it.