Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 4th July 2013, 09:46 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

Paul Hogan used to make cigarette ads here (when that was allowed) and Oz tourism adverts for overseas - the US I think because one his lines was to 'put a shrimp on the barbie' which we though was hilarious because no one would say that here - they're prawns, not shrimp. Strop (the lifeguard) was a great sidekick.....and Hoges' real life manager. Strop (John Cornell) also married the glamorous Delvene from the series and they are still together.

Clive James was great. Mind you, he used to make all those cracks about the Spice Girls at a time when I hadn't a clue who they were (and I probably wasn't alone). A dry wit indeed.

It makes you wonder....what kind of a series would The Secret Service had been if the humour was more like Clive James than Stanley Unwin? Or even one of Paul Hogan's crazy characters?
Old 4th July 2013, 12:31 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

I remember his Australian tourist board ad, we had it here in the UK. "In the biginning when himself created the world, he wondered what to do with all the leftover bits" or something along those lines. It can't have been made with the UK as it's main target because we say prawns too, so perhaps it was for the USA. As I recal it was a bit over glossy and badly dubbed, you could tell Hoges wasn't recorded where he was filmed, his voice was overdubbed in a studio. Seeing as this is supposed to be a Joe 90 thread, I suppose I should say something relevant. So here goes. I wonder if Paul Hogan was aware of Joe 90, and if he was, whether he was a fan or not. Speaking of Paul Hogan, I saw all of his non Mick Dundee films and thought they were all very enjoyable. I especially enjoyed a tv series he was in called Anzacs (is that correctly spelled?)
Old 5th July 2013, 02:56 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61 View Post
I especially enjoyed a tv series he was in called Anzacs (is that correctly spelled?)
ANZAC: Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. Yep, you spelt it correctly (although I'd put it all in capitals )
Old 5th July 2013, 07:43 AM
Spacehawk

Much obliged.
Old 7th July 2013, 09:56 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

I confess I wasn't a huge fan of the mini series ANZACS.

I liked Paul Hogan best when he was funny.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:45 AM
Spacehawk

I've always found when people known for comedy try straight acting, they either come across as being very natural, like they were born to do it, or to me they look like they feel uncomfortable and meddling in an area they have no place. Paul Hogan is in my opinion, someone who looks comfortable in both genres. Harry and Boots, Flipper and Floating Away are three examples of non comedy roles where I find him as enjoyable to watch as I do in Almost An Angel or Lightning Jack (A film I felt sure would have a sequel) He is in my opinion one of the 20th Centurys better comedians / comedy actors, and like Chaplin and Groucho Marx, also had a knack for straught acting as well. There's a lot of non comedy performance in both Crocodile Dundee films, and for me it works very well.
Old 7th July 2013, 01:32 PM
Shadbolt

I agree Paul Hogan was very natural in Flipper. I've always regarded the Crocodile Dundee films as comedies despite the occasional serious bits. The first movie is definitely my favourite.

It wasn't Paul Hogan's performance in ANZACS that was why I didn't like it. It was the overall script that I did not feel portrayed the history of ANZAC as well as it should, given many other well known actors were in the film as well as Hogan. It could have been much better.

There's another Oz comedian/show host/radio personality that you may not have seen or heard of, who was also proof that comedians can make good serious actors, though he did not appear in many films. His name was Graham Kennedy and he was a legend on TV here...in fact he was known as the King of Australian Television. There hasn't been another Oz star like him.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:19 PM
Spacehawk

I know him well. The Odd Angry Shot (great film) The Killing Fields, several Australian films I can't remember the titles of. Over here we have a tv station called Channel 4, and in it's early days it was a real champion for Australian cinema and comedy. I learned aot about popular modern Australian culture and entertainment from it. Some fantastic films that no one else seems to have screened since. The Getting Of Wisdom. Picnic At Hanging Rock. The Shiralee. The Last Wave. All great stuff. Hogans comedy series and a couple of others. One excelent Australian comedy showcase series I can't remember the title of, but a host who was very funny himself introduced comedy acts. All a long time ago now, 1982/83, all very fondly remembered though.
Old 8th July 2013, 08:06 AM
Spacehawk

I'm now convinced it was all just a matter of waiting for the right time with Joe 90. Half way through now and I'm seeing it in an enjoyable way for the first time since I saw it as a small boy when it was first shown. Timing counts for a lot doesn't it. Last year I might not have been able to enjoy it as much. Ditto next year. But right here right now I'm finding it FAB (Sorry to borrow your phrase TB) Half the series to go and I honestly think I'll be sorry when I've seen them all and have none left to watch. This has turned out to be a nice little bonus.
Old 8th July 2013, 07:30 PM
R.A.T.

I think the reason people 'rediscover' Joe 90 is that it is a very subtle and more adult-orientated show. It doesn't have the bang-crash-wallop of other Anderson series, and its family atmosphere makes it a more logical successor to the same aspects in Thunderbirds. How else could they have got away with such subversive episodes as 'See You Down There' and 'Lone-Handed 90'?