Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 22nd July 2013, 11:48 AM
Main Mission Operative

Given the timeframe of TAG being around 2065, Cliff Snr would have to have sired Cliff Jnr when he was around the century mark. Perhaps Cliff has just been sticking to the TAG timetable
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:36 PM
Zarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryn View Post

Rebecca, I'm mainly a Shadows fan too (most of my Cliff records are his earliest ones - Cliff, Me and My Shadows etc) whereas I've got Shadows records spanning decades and I've seen them in concert more times than Cliff. What did you think about the puppets in the movie? I wasn't impressed with the one made for Brian Bennett. It was a great idea to feature them in the movie though.
I like early Cliff and have the first two movies on DVD (even if newspaper promos) and most of his music up to 1963 I suppose (Shadows up to the Jigsaw and solo Hank Marvin albums). I remember seeing Summer Holiday and Young Ones on television here in Canada growing up and finding them pretty dated. I never saw TAG until fairly recently and loved the musical segment. I was most fascinated by the little fender guitars and drum kit! I also want the little Vox items the Beakles from the Pinky & Perky show had.

You have to understand that where I am The Ventures are always going to be the number one instro group. It's actually because of them I really got interested in The Shads and Spotnicks and others.

Yes, you've really made it to the toppermost when they make puppets of you (although I think Johnny Swoonara was a sort of Cliff Richard puppet but not specifically made from the start to represent him).
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:27 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

Love the era of instrumentals! Though the Shads are my favourite, I've got LPs by the Tornados, the Ventures, Surfaris, Challengers, Atlantics...and more. Also a lot of singles by well known artists and some obscure ones. (BTW, if anyone knows anything (tune & band) about 'Gazachstahagen' by the Keymen I'd like to hear it.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:45 AM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

Oh dear. I'm a long time Alice Cooper fan and seem to have started a thread I can't contribute much to. But I'm enjoying reading all your posts anyway.
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:44 PM
Zarin

I like the really early Alice cooper. It was a group before it was one guy.

Don't know of the Keymen, sorry. There are a lot of collections of obscure instro groups so maybe they'll turn up on one yet.
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:57 PM
Spacehawk

In the later 1970's I drove my poor parents to the verge of insanity playing my Alice albums. So much so that to this day my dad jokingly puts his fingers in his ears if Alice gets mentioned or pops up on tv, which he does a lot. He's quite the established nice guy celeb these days is old Alice, not like in the 70's when people considered him disturbing, and us fans disturbed. How times change.
Old 24th July 2013, 08:10 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

I drove my parents nuts playing the Don Spencer 'Fireball' single. The stereogram (now that's giving my age away) was in the lounge so everyone got to hear it...over and over and over.

I'm pretty sure that's why I got my very own portable record player for Christmas.
Old 24th July 2013, 10:36 AM
Spacehawk

Similar story here. Back then everything had to be watched on the family tv, and everything had to be listened to on the family record player, a big music centre type thing that a workmate of my dads 'who knew about that kind of thing' helped my parents buy. I too was bought my own small record player (and headphones) and banished upstairs to my bedroom to play my records. My parents believed it was worth the expense. When I left school and started work, I bought a Sharp seperates system, back in 1978 quite something to have and because it was so much better than either of the two already in the house, my bedroom banishment was officially ended and it was put in the lounge so everyone could use it. I was still encouraged to use headphones though. My mums Barry Manilow, Johnny Mathis and Niel Diamond records could be played openly, but my stuff was ruled for my ears only. Not that it was all bad. Alice was the only thing that drove my parents potty, and that was really only because I played it so much. Especially what was then his latest album Lace and Whisky. Over and over and over. It was almost like I was deliberately trying to drive them insane. But I of course wasn't.........Was I ?

Last edited by john61; 24th July 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 24th July 2013, 10:39 PM
Zarin

Interesting. We only had one family TV (b&w) up to around 1976, then the b&w went to the kids and the new colour one was fought over (watching something on the b&w set was the consolation). But we always had lots of music and players around. My Dad and Mom had a weekends country-rock pub/bar covers band! I took bookings over the phone sometimes, and was often tasked with writing the lyrics out from a newly bought hit single. I never really had many of my own records, and generally what I did have were thrown in with everyone elses. I guess when your parents are into Creedence Clearwater and Fleetwood Mac you don't have any way of bugging them musically.