Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Retro-metabolism

Notices

Old 24th April 2017, 07:03 PM
General Strond

Default new captain scarlet-12 years on

i have just finished watching all 26 episodes of 'new captain scarlet' on youtube & on DVD 12 years after it was made,a bit late in seeing & it was absolutely brilliant.a bit darker in my view than the original that gerry was intended to.
Old 3rd September 2017, 05:44 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC1 View Post
i have just finished watching all 26 episodes of 'new captain scarlet' on youtube & on DVD 12 years after it was made,a bit late in seeing & it was absolutely brilliant.a bit darker in my view than the original that gerry was intended to.

As it happens, Amazon just delivered my copy of the new NCS bluray set from Network.

It's just a pity it's going to be a while before I can sit down to properly watch it!
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:04 PM
Zeroid

I forgot this was coming out and put in an order earlier. However I've now cancelled it because not only is the 5.1 sound from the dvd's absent it seems the original broadcast opening titles have been removed and replaced with what the makers apparently intended rather than what was broadcast which means the titles are shorter and the changes mean you don't get the ending with Captain Black and then the " presented in Hypermarionation" logo.

One for the sales
Old 4th September 2017, 10:14 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinspector View Post
I forgot this was coming out and put in an order earlier. However I've now cancelled it because not only is the 5.1 sound from the dvd's absent it seems the original broadcast opening titles have been removed and replaced with what the makers apparently intended rather than what was broadcast which means the titles are shorter and the changes mean you don't get the ending with Captain Black and then the " presented in Hypermarionation" logo.

One for the sales

Yes indeed. Standard LPCM for sound, while the ITV DVDs (which I still have) had a 5.1 mix. Backward step, really.

Regarding the titles, it had been a long time since I watched the show so until I read the blurb on the inside about the new titles "representing" what the original team allegedly wanted, I probably wouldn't have noticed they'd been messed with. I can't say it bothers me that much, the new titles are ok but why mess with them in the first place? The original titles are in the extras now when they probably should have been on the episodes as originally transmitted and - by all means - put the 'new titles' in the extras instead. Still, what's done is done.

As for following the "intentions of the original team"...says who? Did Gerry leave some sort of stipulation in his will? I doubt it!

I'm wondering if someone who wasn't on the 'original team' has been having an unwarranted say on this release.

Beyond all that though (and I have to say I'm not bothered personally by the sound) the picture quality is absolutely stunning and I do recommend purchasing. But I can imagine there will be a few who are not happy with the messing that's gone on. A shame really.
Old 4th September 2017, 07:17 PM
Squealer

I've managed to get a 5-min preview in tonight and yes the picture is clearly upgraded from the DVDs and looks stunning in HD. The 'missing footage' from Contact and Proteus (i.e. the staccato beats) has been reinstated too: previously shown as odd jump cuts.

As for the opening and closing titles - not impressed! Put a bit of a dampener on viewing if I'm honest as I loved the originals. The new titles pretty much do away with all the previous footage and it's now narrated by Colonel White. Quite a shame to lose the character title cards and the Hypermarionation logo. I suspect it's been done for potential broadcast purposes.

Not sure I believe the 'what the original team intended' statement because it really depends on who you speak to. I saw a preview of some episodes at Pinewood back in 2005 and David Lane (Supervising Director) mentioned that from 'Touch Of The Reaper' onwards Captain Ochre was to have her own title card edited in but the schedule by that point couldn't allow, and neither could the budget. If it ain't broke...

Last edited by Achilles Messenger; 4th September 2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10th September 2017, 03:24 PM
Lab Monkey

Default New Captain Scarlet Blu-Ray

Also disappointed but surprised. The selling point of Network's Randall and Hopkirk Blu-Ray was that the original titles were used. For Dick Spanner on DVD Network have the original music and aspect ratio unlike the previous release by Pickwick. Given this track record I was surprised and disappointed to find new titles and no 5.1 sound on New Captain Scarlet. Have checked the David Lane commentary on the DVD and he says it was intended to use scenes from later episodes in the titles but he does not say anything about a total change of the title's format as has occurred. Incidentally this comment is right at the start of the commentary and has been removed (for obvious reasons) from the Blu-Ray commentary which therefore has a gap at the beginning with total silence! Network could and should have done better.
Old 10th September 2017, 04:39 PM
Spacehawk

I doubt it was Network's doing to be honest. I suspect somebody - possibly Jamie Anderson or someone else at 'Anderson Entertainment' - has been dabbling in the release. And they have every right to, I suppose - though you do wonder if they're having a say just because they can, rather than making a valid artistic contribution...

Still, it's done and there's no point in crying over spilt milk, as they say.

I still think the picture quality make the release entirely worthwhile. The replacement titles and lack of 5.1 don't really bother me at all. Life is too short.

Last edited by Simon Morris; 10th September 2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10th September 2017, 07:43 PM
Spacehawk

It was Gerry's intention to do titles in the style of the newly created ones, having been dissatisfied with the version they were stuck with back in 2005. Who's to say that this exact version or one very like it wasn't approved after the series wrapped or at some point before he died? And if anyone is going to be best placed to know exactly what he wanted, it was the team that worked with him on the series and of course his son.

I have to laugh at the idea that some people think it's been done for the sake of it. It's just insane the sheer blatant sense of ownership and entitlement people have these days (not leveling it at anyone on this forum, but in general).

The way people are reacting (I've literally read comments saying "I'm sorry I parted with my DVDs", really???) you'd think the whole series had been altered. It's a set of titles, the one part of the episode that's entirely irrelevant to the story.

The BR's have given us improved picture, additional special features, reinstated scenes missing from the DVDs and titles the way they should have been, rather than seeing the same set of clips from the pilot story (which overall is not anywhere near as good in terms of animation quality as the rest of the series.) The original titles do appear as a special feature, so people can watch them to their hearts content if they really fancy it.

The series is still amazing and will continue to stand as one of Gerry's finest.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 10th September 2017, 08:46 PM
Zeroid

I can completely understand why some people are peeved.
They want the show they saw in 2005 not some revised version.
As the Network listing clearly had 5.1 sound in the specs that is a good reason to wait for the sales.
Not sure why it's fine to change the titles of this show when changing the opening titles of any of his ITC shows for example would be met with uproar.
What they should have done is offer the new and old titles as a choice with seamless branching but that seems to be a feature Network never use ever on any release.
And I expect complaints would be fewer had the change to the titles been made known before the release.
As one of the extras has someone clearly stating the show was completed with 5.1 sound the lack of it is unacceptable.
To have the dvd's in 5.1 and the Bluray in standard surround is surely an error.
It's the reason I cancelled my order but one I would hope Network would correct although I won't hold my breath
Old 11th September 2017, 06:50 PM
Spacehawk

Well, I can only repeat that whatever the reason for the 'changes' (and as Mr Hackenbacker says, who's to say where the impetus for them came from?), I find the set extremely watchable and the issues - such as they are - don't worry me at all.

A good value set and well worth buying - and it's a pity if people are being dissuaded from doing so.