Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Ebay The Unexpected

Notices

Old 2nd August 2018, 10:48 PM
Butler

DVD. Is it worth upgrading? Have done on some films in the past and been disappointed.

Think I will burn copies region free.

Thanks for your replies and thoughts.

Oh no! Electricity not reversed!

I've also had fun seeing all the ufo actors! More than I reme!breed, but just come off a marathon ufo watch, so spotting more.
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage35 View Post
DVD. Is it worth upgrading? Have done on some films in the past and been disappointed.

Think I will burn copies region free.

Thanks for your replies and thoughts.

Oh no! Electricity not reversed!

I've also had fun seeing all the ufo actors! More than I reme!breed, but just come off a marathon ufo watch, so spotting more.
Providing your settings are all correct and your screen is a reasonable size and you don't sit too far away you should be able to spot the difference between dvd and Bluray in a second unless its upscaled stuff like the recent Tom Baker Dr Who set but fortunately cynical marketing ploys like that are few and far between.
The Doppelganger Bluray is definitely an upgrade. Obviously the better the tv the easier to spot the difference.
Old 3rd August 2018, 03:23 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.

I've just purchased a Panasonic DVD player and was disappointed to discover that it wasn't multi-region. When this happened to my last DVD player I took it back to the shop that I bought it from and they sent it away to be made multi-region at no cost to me. This time, as I bought my DVD player on-line, taking it back to the seller isn't an option, but I've contacted Panasonic New Zealand directly and they gave me the addresses of a number of places that would fix it free of charge. (They bill Panasonic.)

Maybe you just need to send Sony an email?
Old 3rd August 2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purupuss View Post
I've just purchased a Panasonic DVD player and was disappointed to discover that it wasn't multi-region. When this happened to my last DVD player I took it back to the shop that I bought it from and they sent it away to be made multi-region at no cost to me. This time, as I bought my DVD player on-line, taking it back to the seller isn't an option, but I've contacted Panasonic New Zealand directly and they gave me the addresses of a number of places that would fix it free of charge. (They bill Panasonic.)

Maybe you just need to send Sony an email?
Not a hope.
I believe that in Australia (so possibly NZ too) there are some strange laws in place which have meant that region locked players are optional.
But in the rest of the world including Europe and the US the manufacturers all have to abide by the DVD organisation rules which means multi region players are not allowed if you want your device to carry the official dvd logo.
The big boys like Panasonic , Sony etc never produce MR machines. When these are offered they are modified by retailers.
NO name Far Eastern imports of the likes sold by the supermarkets tend not to follow the rules which is why if their players are not MR out the box they can usually be hacked quite easily.

Having said that, if the Sony had been a recent purchase from a non High Street retailer I would expect them to accept it back and allow the buyer to change it for a multi region version assuming they had one on offer at the same time
Old 10th August 2018, 08:16 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Default Multi region players

Being is Australia I did purchase a 'LASER' (brand) bluray player from JBHiFi (electronics store in Oz) that is totally region free - works a treat - and cost the massive amount of $79Aust dollars.. Woohoo!!