Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 24th November 2017, 02:35 PM
Slomo

Having just flicked through, I can confirm that the picture quality on the disc is superb, right on par with the work done on Star Trek TOS. The colours pop beautifully. Can't wait to see the rest of the series in HD.
Old 24th November 2017, 03:41 PM
Mexican Bandit

Awaiting opening!

Old 24th November 2017, 04:59 PM
Lazoon

The picture quality is outstanding, and highlights the extra detail that Century 21 put into making this. I don’t think the DVDs look bad at all, but the colours on the blu ray are much brighter, and also the sharpness of the HD transfer make watching Captain Scarlet even more enjoyable.

An extra thing I like is that Network have made the blu ray case red rather than the usual blue, a nice touch.
Old 25th November 2017, 11:31 AM
DT019 Pilot

Just watched the first episode.

INCREDIBLE! It looks like it was made yesterday, not 50 years ago!

The level of detail on show is simply amazing - right from the dust caught in the beam of the Mysterons' resurrection device, to the pigeon droppings underneath the Car View platform and the minute landscape below. Just outstanding. The sound is as good, if not better, than I have ever heard it before. But the picture is the main selling point and, as it says on the box, Captain Scarlet has never looked this good.

I'll definitely be buying the rest of the set.
Old 25th November 2017, 11:56 AM
Lab Monkey

Finally arrived yesterday. Have watched the first episode and would like to echo the sentiments in the posts above, the picture quality and sound quality are both outstanding. I'll still keep the DVDs though, because of their extras (simply don't have space to keep two versions of everything).
Incidentally does anyone know if 35mm is good enough to get a 4k version from - i.e. in a few years time will we all be buying everything again but on UHD 4k blu-ray!?
Old 25th November 2017, 09:05 PM
Slomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Gardner View Post
Finally arrived yesterday. Have watched the first episode and would like to echo the sentiments in the posts above, the picture quality and sound quality are both outstanding. I'll still keep the DVDs though, because of their extras (simply don't have space to keep two versions of everything).
Incidentally does anyone know if 35mm is good enough to get a 4k version from - i.e. in a few years time will we all be buying everything again but on UHD 4k blu-ray!?
35mm can easily deliver 4k and more. Look at Close Encounters, ET, River Kwai, Spiderman Trilogy etc. Fab 4k quality although seeing as how long it's taken ITV to get off their backsides and start doing a proper job of remastering for 1080 with some of their product I doubt we'll be seeing UHD disc for much ITV owned material that requires remastering. Assuming some being made now might be produced in 4k that might appear although probably in the US and not the UK. Lot of recent ITV material is on Blu in the US but not here.

I suspect that by the time Gerry Anderson shows get remastered for 4k we may well be past the era of physical media.
One caveat to mention regarding 4k and equally applicable to HD is that remastering to these levels of quality is very dependent on the state of the existing materials like the negatives, soundtracks etc. Sometimes if things have not been looked after it's not possible to get ideal results. Having said that, so far ITC material seems to have been archived quite well.

Last edited by theinspector; 25th November 2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 26th November 2017, 10:52 PM
Seal Cub

Lightbulb Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons Blu-ray Volume One Network | 1967-1968 | Season 1 |

When can I expect my Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons Blu-ray from Network to arrive in the USA?

Old 28th November 2017, 01:52 AM
Skybase Engineer

How clean is the audio for "The Mysterons"?

The audio on the VHS, DVD and TIS blu-ray releases all had very muffled audio, as if the optical sound strip was damaged and that they never bothered to clean them.

The trailer's clip of the Maximum Security Building exploding certainly sounded clearer than the DVDs, but I want to ask those who've watched it if the REST of the episode is clearer.

My copy hasn't arrived yet, you see.

Also, sometimes websites advertise less than you expect, as I remember Network saying the blu ray was Region B only, yet now it's region-free, so in that regard, does this blu ray release have subtitles?

I'm hard of hearing, you see, so I need to know if I can watch it comfortably, or will I have to annoy my family by having the volume REALLY high?
Old 28th November 2017, 09:55 PM
Slomo

I can't help a great deal but I've never noticed problems with the sound before , however as we're so used to audio perfection from Bluray I have to say that when watching the first episode (the only one so far) I did actually think to myself that parts of the audio seemed less than perfect although I don't recall if that's just a small section or the whole episode.
I found the first episode of Randall to have similar sound issues but that was noticeable on all the video releases and broadcasts too.
So it would seem the sound is as good as it can be. When there are issues with sound or video Network do usually do everything they can to sort them out
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:28 AM
Seal Cub

Lightbulb Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons Blu-ray from Network arrives in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
When can I expect my Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons Blu-ray from Network to arrive in the USA?

I guess I'll have to answer my own ?...received today (12/1/17)!