Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go!

Notices

Old 27th November 2017, 06:11 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalWings View Post
Very good point tbh - the last thing we need is 'Children's Show In Tasteless Fire Controversy' headlines.

The episode's out there, we'll be able to find it one way or another at some point down the line if we so choose, but it's better to not risk dragging the show into an unfortunate situation.
My feelings exactly, it's not worth the potential upset and risk.

I'm rather worried that some people (not on this page) seem to be outraged that the episode was 'greenlit' in the wake of the tragedy. I just can't wrap my head around how naive they must be to think a show like that could be assembled in such a short space of time!

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 29th November 2017, 11:06 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Watched a review of the episode on Youtube & the gentleman who uploaded his review has included a link to either watch the episode or download it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEi4vmKZ7Oo

Enjoy

Last edited by Virgil_Tracy; 29th November 2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 29th November 2017, 03:57 PM
Jason Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil_Tracy View Post
Watched a review of the episode on Youtube & the gentleman who uploaded his review has included a link to either watch the episode or download it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEi4vmKZ7Oo

Enjoy
I found that as well and watched it thru quickly last night.

Underlying issues with all of this:

There is still a police investigation going on into how Grenfell happened - with the potential for prosecutions to be made.

As explained in the Sky News investigation shown the last few days there is a lot of concern about similar issues with other buildings - and hence a lot of people are concerned where they are living is not safe etc.

Given that I can see why ITV are wary of showing something that could cause issue etc.

Having seen it (and it is a very good episode) it does raise some issues, and I can see why ITV is perhaps particularly wary of it:

Some of the long shots with the tower on fire look very similar to the news footage of Grenfell - I suppose they would be, burning buildings look a lot the same, but it does act as a direct reminder.

Unfortunately the episode suffers from the "Alan being a comedian" issues that have happened in other stories - with some ill timed jokey sequences coming up during the actual rescue.

In normal course of events they'd just be the usual annoyance and distraction (they let the whole story down - again) - in this case however they could be seen to be implying that a fire in a building with people trapped is a good time for some comedy (I've been in a burning building, being told to "get out" by fire rescue crew going the other way - and it's not funny) - and I could see ITV coming in for some specific flak in that respect at the moment.

It's all a great shame because technically it's one of the best episodes that's been done. Hopefully it will still be on the DVD so folks can watch it if they want.

FAB_61
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:18 PM
Mexican Bandit

Surely they could just put a disclaimer at the top of the show, or put it on in a later timeslot? Suspending the iTunes release also seems needlessly punitive, since there is an extra degree of seeking out the material that 'terrestrial' transmission does not (although it's likely a contractual thing that there must be a broadcast before it can go live on iTunes?)

I understood them dropping Winged Assassin from the Captain Scarlet run, since it was due to be screened something like a week after 9/11, but this?

Further, there are 720p rips on torrent sites. I don't know what region the source video is was broadcast in, but there's no ITV tag at the top of the episode.
I didn't really want to watch it this way, but if there's no iTunes release on the horizon...
Old 4th December 2017, 04:33 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

The uploads on pirate sites originate from the Australian airing. The catch up player we've got over here doesn't have a watermark so it's very useful.

Some other people have mentioned the warning at the start. It's a valid point, but is it really a kids show if it has a warning at the front?

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.
Old 4th December 2017, 06:38 PM
Skybase Engineer

Just watched the episode on Amazon Video.

Still completely agree with them pulling it, but damn is it a great episode. I'd argue they could maybe squeeze it into Series 3 as it doesn't include references to any other plot threads, but they'll probably just want to be rid of it.
Old 5th December 2017, 11:28 PM
General Strond

how about ITV to release 'inferno' as a stand-alone DVD if they still refuse to show it?
Old 6th December 2017, 06:37 PM
Jason Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC1 View Post
how about ITV to release 'inferno' as a stand-alone DVD if they still refuse to show it?
Not sure about the cost effectiveness of that - even without a Prime membership you can download it from Amazon in HD for less the 3, not sure they could sell a DVD for less than that.

Another alternative would be to get the Australian DVDs when them come out - assuming it's on those given that it's been transmitted there.

FAB_61
Old 6th December 2017, 06:43 PM
Jason Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyus24 View Post
Some other people have mentioned the warning at the start. It's a valid point, but is it really a kids show if it has a warning at the front?
I recall when Capt Scarlet was on originally, and a few children hurt themselves acting things out, they just added a "Remember Capt Scarlet is Indestructible, you are not. Please do not try to imitate him" warning at the start of each episode.

Presumbly these days the same level of incidents would result in the whole series being taken off.

FAB_61
Old 7th December 2017, 12:30 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
I recall when Capt Scarlet was on originally, and a few children hurt themselves acting things out, they just added a "Remember Capt Scarlet is Indestructible, you are not. Please do not try to imitate him" warning at the start of each episode.

Presumbly these days the same level of incidents would result in the whole series being taken off.

FAB_61

I remember when I was 9 & Captain Scarlet was being shown on BBC 2 they had to pull Winged Assasin due to it being aired on 9/11. It was shown at a much later date in the run. So there maybe hope they'll do this with Inferno at somepoint.